BROADREACH PADDLE

Aloha Guys

I'm chasing a Broadreach paddle , any hints on how to contact them ?
I've tried messaging on Facebook with no luck.

Cheers Russ

Submitted by Bambam62 on Wed, 10/30/2013 - 4:37pm

try check out Viper Vaa from Tahiti, awesome paddles, plus they have a website too

#1 Wed, 10/30/2013 - 8:43pm

Thanks Molokaipake but I'm not a big fan of composite shafts.
There all composite / bamboo wrap aren't they ?

#2 Thu, 10/31/2013 - 12:08pm

The Rame FUSION serie (FSN) paddle from Viper Va'a is a Hybrid. Bamboo shaft (no carbon wrapping) with a carbon blade.

FSN SERIES - The New Wooden Shaft Paddle!
"Built in Tahiti with an exclusive bamboo shaft and carbon fiber blade, the FSN is a very light paddle with moderate flexibility. The protection rail along the edge of the blade protects your paddles and guarantees perfect water entry. The FSN is a hybrid paddle that will fit most paddlers for both sprint and long distance races."

NTR SERIES - Natural Tradition!

Build in Tahiti with a bamboo shaft and blade, the NTR enjoys incredible flexibility.
The protection rail along the edge of the blade protects your paddles and guarantees perfect water entry. The NTR is ideal for long distance races and will suit perfectly light to medium size paddlers.

A friend of mine ordered his from a paddle dealer on Kauai. Don't remember which one but it was mentioned on here before.

#3 Thu, 10/31/2013 - 1:55pm

Broadreach makes a great paddle...but like other sought after paddle makers... have a cushy back log and do not seem at all responsive to email or facebook requests. It is sometimes refreshing to find another great paddle like Viper that are usually in inventory and their dealers do respond to customer questions.

#4 Thu, 10/31/2013 - 2:35pm

Viper Va'a distributors are located in most countries now are you can be guaranteed a quick turn around from the time you order your paddle to the first time you use it

#5 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 3:21am

from their fb page.

"HANDCRAFTED OUTRIGGER RACING PADDLES - BUILT ON THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII. BROAD REACH HAWAII SPECIALIZES IN DOUBLE BEND SEAMLESS HYBRIDS. TO ORDER: EMAIL US AT BROADREACHHAWAII@GMAIL.COM"

#6 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 2:02pm

or you could check out one of these….

#7 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 2:18pm

A Tahitian Viper with a Pure Hawaii sticker ?
Waste of time emailing as nobody ever gets back to you.
I'm a bit of a paddle collector & recently read on this forum about Ko Ka'a paddles.
Sent an email , got a reply next day , placed an order , got confirmation ( even though I wanted a few changes ).
They even have a blog to let you know at what stage of construction your paddle is !
No matter how good your business is , Broadreach could learn from them about customer support.
FYI my paddles include Tai , Xylo , Makana Alii , Pure , Quick Blade , Kioloa & Rame.
Yes I know you can get by on 1 paddle but I'm a wanker !

#8 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 3:41pm

A Tahitian Viper with a Pure Hawaii sticker ?
Waste of time emailing as nobody ever gets back to you.
I'm a bit of a paddle collector & recently read on this forum about Ko Ka'a paddles.
Sent an email , got a reply next day , placed an order , got confirmation ( even though I wanted a few changes ).
They even have a blog to let you know at what stage of construction your paddle is !
No matter how good your business is , Broadreach could learn from them about customer support.
FYI my paddles include Tai , Xylo , Makana Alii , Pure , Quick Blade , Kioloa & Rame.
Yes I know you can get by on 1 paddle but I'm a wanker !

#9 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 3:42pm

uh...ok? i just put Scotty's email address on here since he's getting roasted and the original post was asking for broad reach info, not every other brand. he's always been great about communicating with me. maybe he doesn't sell to collectors, just paddlers?

#10 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 3:59pm

What & get them wet ?
I love this forum , so many serious people helping poor lost souls like myself

#11 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 7:29pm

One of the best paddles I have ever used...EVER...has been a broadreach. It had one of the cleanest entries I have ever felt. The stiffness of it was perfect for 6man as it might be a little too stiff for 1man, unless you're the hulk. But anyway, yeah just e-mail him, and ask him for the Olamau special, that is by far one of the best paddles I have ever used.

#12 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 7:42pm

I have a great faith in human nature.
I'll try another email then.
Have a great new year everyone

#13 Wed, 01/01/2014 - 9:21pm

If something is really easy to buy, probably means it's crap. If something is hard to get your hands on, probably means its good. So go buy easy crap, or wait for something good.
Never heard of someone waiting hours for a fucking McRib, but that nice restaurant down the street needs reservations months in advance. So take your pick. You want a wooden piece of shit, or a nice blade?

#14 Thu, 01/02/2014 - 9:48pm

I can only share my experience waiting for a paddle from Broadreach that never materialized. To be fair, they never asked for any money up front so I am not out any money. Also, I knew the wait would be long especially since I was waiting for a sailing canoe steering blade. In fact I was told in an email response from them that the wait could be up to two years.

One year after receiving confirmation that I was on their list I sent another email and was told that my steering blade was next in line. Unfortunately that was the end of their communication with me, they stopped responding to my emails and now that it has been three years I'm not really expecting that they actually made me a steering blade.

Maybe you will have better luck than I did.
Aloha

#15 Thu, 01/02/2014 - 10:05pm

BretC79,

I waited months for the McRib to be put back on their menu. You are right, it was worth the wait.

#16 Mon, 01/06/2014 - 2:37pm

Did you share with your boy Barry out in Kailua?? Or did Michelle hog it all??

#17 Mon, 01/06/2014 - 3:29pm

I tried a broad reach...great paddle. Makana Alii...great paddle...own one. My problem with both guys are that they are so busy because they create a really good product...that they really do not care much about the service end of their business..i.e...responding to inquiries. After trying to get a broad reach...I gave up after a few emails...and purchased a Viper...an off the shelf Viper. I love that paddle and also like the fact that it was ready for someone to purchase with really good contact with the distributor. I disagree that just because it is easy to buy it is somehow inferior. The Tahitian crews do real well with them. My personal experience with the paddle...I will buy another...but they are so durable...will probably not find an excuse to do so.

#18 Tue, 01/07/2014 - 3:50pm

We're talking about outrigger canoe paddles here not golf clubs.
I like the fact that these well crafted objects are hard to get, these guys are doing it because they enjoy the craft/ production aspect, they're not trying to set up Walmart, and they're not obliged to have an efficient easy to access business model.
I'm in Australia and have 2 Broadreach paddles which I love , it wasn't that hard to get them just do some networking.

#19 Wed, 01/08/2014 - 7:41pm

See KGB, you're the only one that wants a McRib!

#20 Thu, 01/09/2014 - 2:51pm

the Silent Majority quiche-boy

#21 Fri, 01/10/2014 - 8:40am

Is that sauce on the McRib actually paint? Sherwin-Willliams, or Benjamine Moore?

#22 Sat, 01/11/2014 - 7:17am

I agree they can use whatever business model they choose. I think when working with Broadreach you have to have realistic expectations. I thought I did when I tried to order a steering blade.

I tried networking but that didn't help in my case. Because I live on the mainland and my sister in law lives in Waimea and knows them personally I asked her to check on my paddle after I could no longer contact them. She was told the same thing, that my paddle would still be coming.

Two years after that and multiple email attempts later, no paddle and no communication for me. Now if I had gotten a paddle from them I'm sure I would have a completely different outlook on the company.

#23 Sat, 01/11/2014 - 3:08pm

Irrespective if the paddle is the best in the market or made out of gold, this is not how you treat customers period.. I'm certainly not going to waste my time getting broadsided with a broadreach paddle..the business model SUCKS!

#24 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 8:52am

The business model is there really is not a business model. A great paddle is being made and friends or friends of friends might get one because there is really no interest in creating a level of production to meet demand. And as other posts said...this is being approached as artisans dedicated to their craft. So if you contact them while they are pursuing their art...do not expect a reply....even though they advertise on canoes and in mags. and have a facebook page. The business model works for them...if you are out of the loop, not in the network, not a friend of a friend...look elsewhere for a paddle. Paddles are all hand crafted,,,maybe some of the companies got cad cams going...I don't know. And I also do not know if there is an incremental difference between a paddle you can buy today or one you might never be able to buy. My wife wanted to buy a "Louis Vuitton" purse...I told her the one from Sears will work just fine.
Carpe Diem.

#25 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 6:59pm

Great!.. the focus is catering to "friends" or a friend of a friend, in the "network" or people "in the loop"

so why bother advertising on FB and magazines? it just brings in the foot traffic from commoners whom they dont wish to deal with and piss off potential customers willing to drop some coin.. how does that work for them? word of mouth would do just fine!

#26 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 7:57pm

this has been going on for a few years in these posts now...about how to get one of these supposedly "mana' filled Stradivarius paddles...and it always ends up the same way...aloha oe. What bothers me is that these paddle artists are Hawaii based and yet they show very little aloha to those that inquiry about their paddles. When someone requests a paddle...why not take the time and just say...."sorry, all tied up...cannot fill your order at this time." or "will never fill your order" instead of not even acknowledging that they had an inquiry. Elitism is an interesting thing...something I never really have much time for. Its
not about golf clubs or mcribs...its about aloha,.

#27 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 8:48pm

I've got two of their paddles so they certainly aren't elitist,
This is a fascinating post.

#28 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 9:06pm

I've got two of their paddles so they certainly aren't elitist,
This is a fascinating post.

#29 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 9:11pm

Fluid ,,,, Should we chime in here ??

Happy New Year,
pog

#30 Sun, 01/12/2014 - 10:29pm

I wonder if Kamanu would be as successful as they are if they embraced this business model? When the gen-one Pueo was the hottest thing on the market, their wait list was enormous, but they also had the best customer service around keeping people informed of wait times and such. I think the term "Artist" is used a little loosely here. I do not disagree that these paddles are beautiful works of art and the artisan who designed and built them put their heart and soul into their work, but once replication and money come into the equation, it's hard hard to argue that it's not a business.

#31 Mon, 01/13/2014 - 3:43pm

I still want a Broadreach !
Great example using Kamanu.
Emailed them about hiring a Pueo for the Molokai Relay & had a response from Luke the next day.
Communication.

#32 Mon, 01/13/2014 - 4:07pm

hey Keylon..since you have the keys to the castle why not hook up Russ with a new Broadreach paddle...he originated this post and he seemed to have difficulty in purchasing one Russ.( Bambam62) put his inquiry in October of 2013..you got two paddles...how were you able to get them?

#33 Tue, 01/14/2014 - 6:38pm

Luke Evslin, organized it all , he's the go to man.

#34 Tue, 01/14/2014 - 7:08pm

Love you long time Poidog.
Emailing Luke today !

#35 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 11:35am

Just to clarify, I'm no help in getting paddles. I can help find canoe rentals for the solo, relay, KWC, M2M, etc but know nothing about how to get paddles. In fact, I tend to lose more paddles than I acquire. Your best bet is to hang around at a canoe club, wait till the canoes leave the beach and then take any paddles lying around. Or at least that's what happens to all of my paddles (including my old Broadreach). Someone out there has an epic collection of basically every paddle I've ever owned.

#36 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 1:39pm

too late, Luke. you've now been promoted to Worldwide Broadreach Sales Rep without Scotty's or your knowledge. have fun with that!

#37 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 2:39pm

Yes I'm only joking people ! sorry Luke, didn't want you getting bored, Is your inbox full?
I've messages BamBam on how I got mine and hopefully he will be able to get one when he's in HI for the races,
They are great paddles but there are plenty of other great paddles too, so if you can't getaway Broadreach just get another one, no need to stress.

#38 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 3:33pm

How about group buy?make it worthwhile for them and same time ease off the stress from all the inquiries they get in one transaction. Happy to volunteer to be the go to guy. I collect payment from buyers, send payment via PayPal blade gets shipped to me..I ship to the buyers.

Who's got the key to the castle??

#39 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 3:58pm

Pacific Outdoor Living in Washington DC is the uber exclusive key to the castle.

#40 Fri, 01/17/2014 - 10:29pm

KGB- have a contact for them? I googled and nothing came up..the mystery continues..:)

#41 Sun, 01/19/2014 - 4:56am

KGB doesn't know his elbow from his earhole

#42 Sun, 01/19/2014 - 5:32pm

With all this help I've decided to chop down a Gum tree & whittle a paddle instead.

#43 Sun, 01/19/2014 - 5:53pm

just dropped 3bills on a Viper FSN paddle. Shipping to me this Tuesday. Communication was awesome!

Sorry Broad Reach. You snooze you lose and your "customer service" SUCK!

#44 Mon, 01/20/2014 - 5:39am

Happy New Year to you too Onno!

#45 Thu, 01/23/2014 - 10:40pm

SF paddler your gonna love that Viper.

#46 Fri, 01/24/2014 - 7:56am

SF paddler...I know you will like it. You do not have to go gucci elite trademarks to own and use a great paddle,. vipers work as good or better then any other paddle on the market. The hard to get paddles are not some kind of mana filled magic products. They are built the same way as other paddles. Looking forward when a crew with broadreach paddles beats a Tahitian crew in the Hoe. but then again I think rames and viper might be with the first
finishers,.

#47 Sat, 01/25/2014 - 6:43pm

Thanks gents..Just happy I was able to buy a new blade with ease. One email, a reply from the vendor, payment sent, shipment notice sent by vendor. Done already..no freaking drama...don't know why this is so hard with Boradreach!

#48 Sun, 01/26/2014 - 3:26pm

ironically, with all this bellyaching you guys have kept the Briadreach name at the top of the forum for nearly three months. good free advertising after people get tired of clicking on the link.

#49 Sun, 01/26/2014 - 7:13pm

.... I'm sure this is not the kind of advertising they want but on the flip side this is a great advertisement for paddle companies that respond to inquiries promptly and can produce their product in a timely manner.

#50 Mon, 01/27/2014 - 1:32pm

It all comes down to what you want as a paddler and the level of customization. A product can mass be produced in pre-set lengths, shapes, sizes etc. to bring down production costs. The more they produce, the greater the economies of scale. Based on preference, this may work as well for you as any other paddle available. Make a good product, create a flashy web-site, sponsor some of the top paddlers in the world, and try to get them out as many people as possible.

However, what if a paddle-maker seeks to take the other route and deliver a customized product for their customer? Here, a customer can specify to their heart’s and mind’s desire. You want a double-bend hand-shaped steering blade with a thinner paddle shaft and a black and yellow resin design inlays? You can get it. The dilemma here is a matter of economics’ supply and demand curves. If demand for these custom paddles is high; one of two things can happen. Either price increases to find an equilibrium for the demand. Or supply remains constrained. And here we are. The next problem arises due to scalability. If these paddles go up in price to meet the higher demand, who is going to make the additional paddles? Outsourcing and automating takes us back to the first scenario. In the same vein that you can buy a Martin guitar made in Mexico or work with a luthier to make your own custom instrument, as is the world of paddles. The world of paddles just doesn’t charge you $3,200 for a tailored item. And as far as communication and fancy web-sites, they are too busy making paddles or in the water.

It just all comes down to preference. Shoots, I play gigs with my $500 Martin and have a grand-ole time.

#51 Mon, 01/27/2014 - 8:58pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.506 seconds.