Does paddling 6 man take away from your OC1 speed?

I'm interested to hear from any competitive paddlers on their opinion of doing OC6 training while preparing for a major OC1 event such as the solo. Does spending 50% of your available training time in an OC6 upset your OC1 boat speed as you can maybe lose some feel in the bumps, or do you think the power and reach you maybe tend to focus on more in an OC6 actually helps your OC1 speed? Trevor.

Submitted by trevorg on Fri, 03/15/2013 - 5:34pm

If you have access to Kaiwi-esque conditions on your home turf, probably best to spend as much time as possible training on the OC1 learning to get efficient in a 4 hour effort. If not, and if you're not training in Hawaii this means you, training with 5 solid guys in the six won't hurt as long as you're blending well and reacting to the water reasonably. Better to be fit and not know how to surf the channel than to not be fit and still not know how to surf the channel.

#1 Fri, 03/15/2013 - 11:08pm

I used to joke with my crew I paddled 6 man just to train for one man. Unless you are completely disciplined, strictly training on a one man allows you the opportunity to hold back. 5 other people won't let you hold back. Time on the water! Paddle,surf,6 man,sup all time on the water is educational towards any pursuit and its always good to xtrain,,

#2 Sat, 03/16/2013 - 7:48am

I've always raced and trained Oc1 all year round at the same time as OC6 even back as far as 1992. Most of my 6 man crew never paddled OC1 and were all much taller and heavier than me. I'm 70kg, there were usually 3 100kg+ and 2 85kg+ in the rest of the crew makeup. I believe the extra training on OC1 ( I paddle trained 6 days a week) gave me the extra fitness and water feel to keep my seat in that very large competitive crew where weight distribution was always an issue as well.

While individual oc1 success doesn't always carryover into OC6 where blending is obviously more important, it is a good indication you can paddle, have an understanding of the ocean, can think for yourself, make race decisions and are enthusiastic about your paddling.

Having said that, it can work against you if the other 5 don't paddle oc1, it can "unconnect" you in a bonding sense, this is where a coach is vital.

Getting back to the original question re loosing speed or bump skill, I always looked at Oc6 training as speed training for the OC1, as the stroke rating was generally always higher, more intense, you focused on "staying in the zone" keeping time and being reactive to instructional calls. OC1 training was more about self learning to make decisions to keep the canoe running at a speed and direction that enabled you to take advantage of ocean conditions while conserving energy to complete a race with nothing left in the tank.

When in OC6 put your OC6 hat on .... When in OC1 wear your OC1 hat.

#3 Sun, 03/17/2013 - 4:37pm

I would add: keep in mind that the seating position is very different between 6 man and 1 man. The OC-1 can take it's toll on your legs and lower back because the way you are seated. Developing the muscles to deal with that is important. Personally I find the moving from OC-1 to OC-6 easier than the other way around.

#4 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 1:48pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.