durability of an oc1

Aloha everyone, I am thinking about buying an OC1. I'm 6'3" 230lbs. I can swim a few miles, I'm just not a big fan of open ocean swimming, so durability is more important than weight. After all it's a lot cheaper for me to loose 5lbs than an OC1. Are there any brands that I want to steer clear of? Whats the best bang for the buck? Should I steae clear of used boats? How many seasons can you expect out of an OC1? Mahalo

Submitted by rocket_sdg on Wed, 07/03/2013 - 1:08pm

I will let the others who have owned multiple boats chime in on durability and such. The biggest thing I have learned is that you want a boat that you fit in. The more comfortable you are in the boat, the more you gonna paddle that buggah. Also what you want to do in a boat is gonna make a big difference in what type or boat or how long a boat last for you. If you want to do flat water all the time, then the type of boats you need are different if your long term goal is to paddle Maliko. At your size my immediate thoughts are a Scorpius. You can get a good used China Scorpius that will make a solid first boat. Also a China boat won't be as expensive. Your first boat you learn how to take care of a boat. You will bumb and bang the boat a thousand times.

Good luck on whatever you end up with. Have fun

#1 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 2:21pm

thanks joel, so a used china boat is ok? i was looking at the new scorpius, but they are really proud of thier boats.

#2 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:29pm

Rocket,

Where do you live?

Mahalo

#3 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:30pm

Aloha kona j, pacific palisades, oahu

#4 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:39pm

A new Scorpius with the extended footwell and your choice of colors is only $4095 double carbon plus tax and shipping . Less expensive than the new OZONE Ehukai and would fit you well. Maybe put an ad in OCPADDLER asking for a used one. The (China) OZONE Scorpius does not have the extended footwell whereas the OZONE XS and XM do. Joel is correct in that most importantly you want to be comfortable on whatever canoe you buy so try a few out. I guess you'd want to steer clear of the HYPR canoes. If you see a canoe you are interested in, feel the stiffness of the footwells and hull as a good idea of how well the canoe is built. IF first canoe, a used one is a good way to go.

#5 Thu, 07/04/2013 - 10:50am

X2 China Scorpius sounds like it would be the best option for you. they are solid boats in rough water and with the right paddler super fast in big bump.

#6 Thu, 07/04/2013 - 11:50am

I'm pretty sure the China Scorpius XM only has the extended footwell. Right now it is $3700 new. How much is shipping to get the XM to Oahu?

#7 Thu, 07/04/2013 - 4:22pm

Rocket,

Since you are on Oahu, I would have experienced OC-1 paddler inspect whatever canoe you are planning on buying. If it is used, I have seen used local built and China built canoes be weak and ridden hard and yes at times poorly made.

If buying new, then ask for stronger layup.

#8 Thu, 07/04/2013 - 5:15pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help and feed back. I hope you all had a great 4th.
SDG

#9 Thu, 07/04/2013 - 10:45pm

On Oahu, Surfline on Puuhale has several OZONE XM's they just got in, Is Paddler on Kapahulu has one and Jim Foti has a couple. Call or drop by their shops to see if they have a color/design you like. But for your size(230 lbs) I think the Custom Scorpius with the extended footwell is best for you and maybe Hanale at Surfline might know where there is a used one available.

#10 Fri, 07/05/2013 - 9:20am

Thanks paddlefast, i will check um out over the weekend

#11 Fri, 07/05/2013 - 1:45pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.175 seconds.