Feedback on New Pueo (II)

Now that there are more of the new Pueo on the water, what are paddler's thoughts and opinions in regards to the difference in feel from the previous version or other thoughts?

Mahalo

Submitted by Kona J on Sat, 06/08/2013 - 2:06pm

haven't seen any yet,but i love my Scorpius XM with the moved forward cockpit.I paddled the older Pueo with the moved forward cockpit also.Both feel the same to me as far as getting onto the bumps,so easy,but I prefer the scorpius ama and the overall feel for surfing the bumps.I'd like to hear also what the new pueo with the redesigned ama also feel like

#1 Tue, 06/11/2013 - 7:47am

I've briefly paddled the new pueo. I currently own a 1st gen pueo, am looking into buying either a 2nd gen or a Ehukai waiting to Demo Ehukai before deciding. I cant say I have had enough time on it to really say anything critical but these are my first impression of the boat.... the boat I paddled was a ultralight lay-up BTW

upwind paddling, boat seems to punch through chop way better and doesn't porpoise as much as the 1st gen. The cockpit does feel bigger as I have never sat in an extended cockpit before. It also feels as if I'm sitting a little higher out of the water. looking down birdseye view, canoe looks more streamline from the cockpit forward. seems like more volume was put behind the seating area.

new ama, it's didn't feel really different to me, maybe slightly lighter on it's lightest setting, but it didn't feel super light as you'd think. canoe still felt super stable to me. On the scorpius with the ama in it's lightest setting it feels really really light, not the pueo.

flatwater... i'm not too sure what to think, didn't notice a lot of difference from 1st gen. I dont want to say it felt slower, but it didn't feel any faster to me.

small bump, the biggest thing I noticed was that from bump to bump, the pueo 2 seems to carry it's hull speed much better then the 1st gen, making connecting bumps much easier to do. This is where I like the scorpius better then the pueo, the scorpius carries so much better in the surf. Seems like Kamanu fixed this with the Pueo 2. Not only does it carry better, but it seems to want to ride the smaller stuff much earlier then your expecting. it seems like this boat really wants to surf. I think this is the biggest difference especially in less than ideal conditions. When it comes to the big stuff, I feel anyone can catch bumps.

#2 Mon, 06/17/2013 - 8:13pm

Got the Gen 2 about a month ago. So far I've enjoyed getting to know it and learn its geometry and how it suits me. I'll come back later with an update. It may be a while. Still trying to figure out how to find time!!! As always, Kamanu was well....Kamanu!!!! Great ambassadors of their craft. Mahalo, you guys are great!!

#3 Fri, 06/21/2013 - 1:30pm

I got my new Pueo a couple weeks ago but only just put the rudder on and got her wet yesterday for the first time. It was a medium sized maliko run and I let one of our novice guys take my 1st generation pueo so I was kinda babysitting the whole time and could really go hard. I did however have a few good spurts where I let him get a big lead then chased him down and i was pleasantly surprised with the new pueo. I felt it picked up waves really easily and carried longer rides... so on a scale of hurricane to Scorpius it surfs more like a scorpius and less like the hurricane now. Sitting higher on the wave and not dropping in as fast.
I'll need to play with the ama settings a little to find my ideal settings as I had it rigged a little less stable than I normally would. There are now three holes on the front of ama for you to choose from, i assume the higher 3rd hole was added for smaller paddlers. I know all custom made oc1's are different but my new pueo rigged really easily as far as the iako's slidding into ama... my 1st gen pueo is a littler tougher to get together and take apart.
I also like the new additions of both forward and back bungee system, higher gunnels around cockpit/footwell, IAKO DRAINS! stoked kamanu finally added those to the boat, it does matter how light your lay up is if you finish the run and pour out several cups of water from the iako sleeves and iako's... Speaking of water weight, it seems to drain the water faster from the footwell. you can see a slight difference to the drain covers on outside of hull but not sure what else they did there... but it was sucking water fast.
As with the purchase of my first two pueo's the customer service was great... there was communication along the way as production hit some speed bumps and my custom paint job took longer than originally quoted.
Although I'm not opposed to chinese made oc1's there is a certain satisfaction I get knowing that my canoe was made here in Hawaii, by paddlers. That I can stop by the shop, watch the process and meet the crew that handmade my Pueo.
I plan to go paddle my 1st gen and 2nd generation pueo's side by side with friend of similar speed to see if I can find more info... I'll let ya know what I find.

#4 Mon, 08/26/2013 - 10:14am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.268 seconds.