A Good Camera?

Any recommendations on a good video camera to use on a OC1. I got a GoPro but the fish eye doesn't do it justice out there in the surf. Any other ideas on a cheap camera to use?

Submitted by indar on Wed, 02/27/2013 - 12:30pm

I use to use a Fujifilm Finepix XP10 waterproof camera before I got my GoPro. Didn't have the "fish eye" effect, but would only record 1hr and 3 minutes of video and shutoff. The resolution was limited to 320 x 240 so watching it on a big screen didn't look all that great.

The more recent model (i.e. Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Digital Camera) does film in HD 1920p 30fps but not sure how long it allows.

#1 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 1:27pm

I"ve seen videos from other cameras that were a lot better than the GoPro. I been saying this a while that the fish eye hurts the images for what we do. I know a guy who uses a regular hd water proof/resistant camera and it "give the surf justice".

#2 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 2:30pm

I'm looking at the JVC Addixxion right now. Don't know much about it but have heard good things. I've grown tired of dealing with the fogging issue of the GoPro

#3 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 4:47pm

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/04/contour-plus/
A couple of mates have got these waterproof Contour cameras, the wide angle doesn't seem to flatten the view as much as the go pro fish eye.

#4 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 8:38pm

A few grains of rice in the bottom of the GoPro case helps with the fogging issue.

#5 Thu, 02/28/2013 - 6:07am

Saw and heard a few things about a camera for Divers that seems to be better than the GoPro ones. It's made by Intova and supposedly a local (Hawaii) company and has a few options already on it (i.e. LCD screen on the back) that you'd need to pay extra for with the GoPro. Doesn't have the "fish eye" effect and is still widescreen and films in HD.

http://www.intova.net/products/sport-hd/

Might be my next camera to get soon.

#6 Thu, 02/28/2013 - 2:44pm

I've had good luck with the Pentax Optio series. Each sucessive generation goes deeper, more shock resistant etc . A lot better image than the gopros , and will do a lot more on the beach too . It shoots HDMI. Models with varying bells and whistles are ~ $ 160 - 350.00 .

#7 Thu, 02/28/2013 - 4:54pm

the more I read about these cameras the more it seems GoPro has just invested more than anyone in advertising. so many other brands with better options for a similar price.

#8 Fri, 03/01/2013 - 1:07am

I personally prefer the Contour over the gopro.
Primarily based on the mount system.
The quality on the contour is fairly good as well, just expensive.

Truly depends on what you are looking for.
A camera for shooting adventures?
A camera for technique work / training?
etc.

Source: I use both a GoPro and a Contour 1080P HD on my OC-1 when training.

#9 Fri, 03/01/2013 - 10:11am

Not just good at marketing JC, its widely acknowledged GoPro have the superior image quality due to being a step in front of all the other brands ( even Sony) hence the reason why you see them used in broadcast alot like Discovery channel etc. What's ironic through, is the latest GoPro HD 3 black version actually uses a Sony sensor.

For most people though, all of the brands will capture good enough video for OC usages, it's HOW you use it that matters most.

#10 Fri, 03/01/2013 - 12:14pm

No disrespect to GoPro, Rambo. I mean that it seems everyone offers nearly the same thing. Resolutions, fps, etc are all pretty darn close. It just appears to me that GoPro has gone the extra mile advertise with endorsements by the top surfers in the world, X-games, sponsoring the CT. etc etc. so they have become the household name.

The feature I thought contour has that's cool in the built in GPS (and others may have this). You can overlay your path taken, speed, and distance right in your video. All that from one self contained unit is pretty slick. I can see how this would be usable for coching or broadcasting and would provide a cool bit of info when you see someone catch a bump. You'd get to watch their speed and distance jump. All if a sudden you could really see if someone covers 50-100-200 meters on a single ride. Strap to a iako facing a paddler and have them do intervals. You could get synchronized feedback of technique and actual speed and distance traveled at different intensities. Guys who do paddling clinics could go to town with something like this.

#11 Fri, 03/01/2013 - 1:31pm

Yep, if GPS is significant for you buy contour, if ultimate image quality is priority buy GoPro etc, but biggest mistake most people make, is buying a complex camera with more features than they need. In most cases the GoPro white or silver version is a better choice than the complex black version which was aimed more at the Pro crowd.

Just out of interest, I still use and prefer the older and ultra reliable HD Hero's for on-boards, longer battery life, run cooler, IQ is enough for HD web use and mixes with other full size cameras sufficiently. Plus if I donate any of them accidentally to Davy Jones Locker...cheap to replace :-)

#12 Sat, 03/02/2013 - 12:29am

Well, as an owner of both the Intova and go pro hero 2, I'll add my 2 cents. Intova is Hawaii based and has great customer service. The Intova has all the features I need minus the remote control which cost extra for the GP unless you buy the black GP 3 model. The Intova mounts are not as strong as the GP base mounts but the central 1/4" bolt mount on the Intova allows you to make your own mount with anything that can fasten a bolt. Overall, I find the Intova has a lot of features I like at a lower price point like rear screen, zoom, etc. There are other differences I found researching both. Btw, the Intova floats by itself so easier to locate if disconnected from mount. Edge, Intova for price and features when comparing the GP 2 and GP 3 silver or black

#13 Fri, 03/01/2013 - 2:50pm

Intova is a great option for those who dont want to spend the big $$$ for a Hero 3. Mounting options are very similar to gopro, best value for the dollar. Everything feels like it's very cheaply made which worries me

Hero3 (I have black edition) image quality is far superior to Intova, and prior Hero HD models. The gopro has the option of user selectable field of view. Full wide angle, medium, and narrow settings. All still in widescreen format and in HD if your worried about fish eye, which is the nature of any wide angle lens and it ensures you get everything in the shot. Sighting your subject is a lot easier with the gopro. Cameras with longer focal lengths look good too, but you need to put much more distance between the camera and the subject to convey what is going on in the "entire" video. However the recent intro of the Hero3... a significant jump in cost $399 for the black, costly This move has made people consider other brands as an alternative, i can fully understand that.

the only other camera I have yet to try, and looks good is Sony's action cam especially the built in image stabalization, ION looks good too..

#14 Sun, 03/03/2013 - 10:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.214 seconds.