GPS watch mount for OC1

I am using a Garmin 310xt GPS watch and would like to mount it somehow on an OC1 so I can see my speed, distance and, eventually, heart rate data as I paddle. I haven't been able to find any mounts for a GPS watch, most mounts seem designed for the handheld GPS units.

Does anyone here use a gps watch mounted on their OC1 and, if so, what have you used to mount it on the canoe?

Submitted by ho'okele on Thu, 08/08/2013 - 2:13pm

I also use a 310xt, I replaced the rubber band (after it broke) with a velcro watch band and just wrap it around the front iako, right up to the canoe. The velcro band allows you to have it nice and tight without putting stress on the pins so you don't have to worry about them popping off and losing it. On the OC-2, I put it in the middle of the front iako, wrapped around pipe insulation for stability, so that seat 2 can see it too. You can get a bike mount for it that would probably work on the iako, but having it clipped just doesn't seem as secure as wrapping it fully around something.

Some people wrap it around their front bungees. Others velcro it between their legs, but I don't like having to look down to see it.

#1 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 2:26pm

wrap some seat foam or pipe insulation around your front iako then put the GPS on and cinch tight so it doesn't spin around if you have problems with it spinning put a little spray adhesive on the iako or foam. i've also used an inner tube rubber wrapped on top of itself to make the iako thicker. that way i have something to make emergency repairs too.

#2 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 2:54pm

OC 1 seat foam cut with sharp knife-Linoleum flooring with velcro base for attachment, mounted right in front of foot pedals so angle is just right......

super easy and nearly free.

#3 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 2:31pm

I use a garmin 205 or a timex global trainer. I usually just strap it to the front iako. Add pipe insulation if too small. Also since I have a Scorpius XM I sometimes just grab all the elastic straps for the hold down and put the band around those.

#4 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 4:07pm

I have a piece of velcro going across the divider in between the footwells. Set the gps down with the wrist strap closed as if you were gonna wear it. Then another piece of velcro going through the wristband. Just a quick glance down but since its so close its also very easy to read.

#5 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 8:10pm

Garmin makes a bike mount that is all rubber that I use on my front iako. No slip and you don't ruin the strap from over tightening.

#6 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 9:17pm

jpi92109's suggestion is a good one. Use 2 inch wide x at least 7 inch or so length velcro (longer length = more strength) with the adhesive back stuck on the footwell divider. Buckle up your gps wrist band, face the GPS face towards you and sandwich the wrist band between the 7 inch long velcro on the the footwell with a 6 inch or so length of velcro. You don't need to buy a mount. Remove your gps by lifting the shorter top velcro piece. I've had the boat caught in surf and have not lost a GPS. If you use thinner (less than 2" wide) or short lengths security of your gps will be comprised if you huli. You can always use a safety line too. I don't.

#7 Sat, 08/10/2013 - 7:37am

Thanks ditch for explaining that. I didnt really feel like doing that good of a job. But ive tumbled boats in the surf many, many, too many times and never lost a gps. Ive lost everything else, but not that.

#8 Thu, 08/08/2013 - 11:36pm

Great suggestions! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

I will experiment with a few different options to see what works best for me. With the iako mount, I'll have to see if I can view the screen from that far away.

jpi92109 and ditch, the velcro really does sound like the most simple solution and from what you guys are saying it has stood the test of many a huli!

#9 Fri, 08/09/2013 - 4:32am

The Velcro strap has been proven many times over. Many boats here use that method and I have never heard of a GPS coming loose. I've lost water bottles, hats, sun glasses and seats but never a GPS.

#10 Fri, 08/09/2013 - 10:48am

i guess make sure you use ALOT of Velcro. cause I've lost two GPS that were velcroed. one on a prone paddleboard and the other off a Pueo. in both cases it wasn't a crazy wreck or anything. just surfing a wave and an open ocean huli. that's why i started putting it on my iako.

#11 Fri, 08/09/2013 - 11:46am

I have a similar foam setup like jddepe, but I also have mine "dummy" corded with braided dacron attached to the watchband and then to the front iako. Velcro doesn't hold up too well on a smoking downwind run/race and if I hadn't added the dummy cord I would have lost my current GPS at least 5 times already.

The watch would float attached to the foam if it came off your canoe, but if it's a smoking run, you might not be able to find it or you might not notice it gone right away if you're having fun.

#12 Sat, 08/10/2013 - 12:34am

Nelson & Kellerman have a GPS designed for water sports that comes with different mounts.
I use one with an angled deck mount in front of my pedals that works like a charm.

#13 Fri, 08/16/2013 - 10:47am

Try checkout stickypod can use a wingnut screw through watch band and stick it whoever you want in your boat! Of course a safety leash is wise! Aloha

#14 Fri, 08/16/2013 - 6:09pm

Hokupaa, I like the idea of the stickypod suction cup as a GPS mount but unfortunately Stickypod doesn't ship to the wild north - Canada is not a destination for their suction cups... :-( Must be all our ice and snow,....maybe the stickypods just can't hack the cold!

#15 Sun, 08/18/2013 - 6:16am

You might luck out using the gopro camera mount. I use a garmin forerunner 405 and the band's width fits perfectly in it. I use the additional attachment with a small string through the watch in case. but if I recall correctly, the 310 is thicker than the 405. Good luck!

The mount is a small white circle with two small hook to slide the camera into.

#16 Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:30am

If you find you have a hard time reading your Garmin (I gave up), try getting a Speed Puck by Velocitek. The numbers are an inch high.

#17 Mon, 10/28/2013 - 2:14pm

What are their prices in order to try first? If you want to network, make sure that all their contact information in order to be a few different ways to contact them if you need to have.

#18 Wed, 08/27/2014 - 2:53am

I use a leash that is big enough so it goes around my thigh. then put the watch around the leash so it is on the top of my thigh. It is close enough for me to see and manipulate the buttons.

J

#19 Wed, 08/27/2014 - 4:16am

I just wrap the watchband around a couple of the bungees at the front of the cockpit, setting the band as small as it will go, and then adjust the angle of the GPS to what I want. Seems to work well.

#20 Thu, 08/28/2014 - 9:46am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.204 seconds.