How to fasten an OC ?

Hello guys
I wonder if anyone has had the same issue :
I can't find anywhere on the hull to fasten an OC to its storage shelf.
It's a bit of a concern, as my OCs are stacked outside, in an easy to tresspass backyard.
With my V1, I can easily turn a secured steel line around the seat or around a iako support.

Thanks if you've got some tips to share.

Submitted by fabrice on Tue, 08/20/2013 - 1:53am

Google Image search
Universal Kayak Locking Cables or
Lasso Combination Lock Kayak Security Cable

to get some ideas of how to either buy or make your own cables to lock your OCs to the storage rack.

Basically they have a long cable with loop that fits over the front end and another shorter cable that you wrap around the back end. The longer cable end is wrapped around your rack/shelf until enough slack is taken out and locked to the shorter cable.

I've heard of some people threading a small cable through the venturi drain hole or through a hole in the pedal.

#1 Tue, 08/20/2013 - 3:01am

OK thanks. So basically a cable loop tightly fit so it can't slide back and forth. That's clever.
I had got the idea of a small cable through some hole, but had came eventually to the conclusion that it would be too easy to cut a cable small enough to fit.

#2 Wed, 08/21/2013 - 8:33pm

maybe something like this?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/TGhziJLPZxI/AAAAAAAADd4/9795yQyvwKQ/s8...

#3 Thu, 08/22/2013 - 1:32pm

Another ... Kevlar yacht braid .... This will cost more than cable but it is near impossible to simply walk up to and cut in two seconds. Gotta hacksaw it or use Spiderco Type knife ... The best would be cable pushed inside this.
Its tedious to make this soft outside, hard inside part but it will foil an unprepared theif.

Imagine bolt cutters not working, line too thick to get std. cutters over and they would not work anyway. Hacksaw or Spiderco type will only go half way before hitting cable ... Thats a lot of time for a theif to be exposed + noise.

Two full wraps around and takes even longer to undue.

aloha,
pog

#4 Thu, 08/22/2013 - 3:46pm

why not just get your boat insured, only cost $50 a year....if they steal it...new boat....

#5 Thu, 08/22/2013 - 4:02pm

what about a cable or bracket that goes around a skinnier part of the canoe, or a shelf that the canoe can not slide past the loop? On the ceiling of my carport, I've made a metal loop that the nose of the canoe slides in, and another loop with a hinged bottom that supports the canoe at the cockpit. the space is small enough that the canoe can not slide out of it, and just to make sure, it locks the canoe high enough that the rudder can't pass the ceiling truss.

#6 Thu, 08/22/2013 - 8:15pm

joelmkrause : If you can get an insurer to pay for an unsecured item being stolen, let me know !
Thanks for your answers, I guess I'm going on a mix of these.

#7 Sun, 08/25/2013 - 9:22pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.