Hurricane Iako to Ama Connection

I have an older Hurricane (not too old). The connection between the iakos and the ama is a bit loose.

Those that are familiar with rigging the Hurricane know that the iako's are slightly oval, with "knuckles", or bumps, on one edge that align with bumps, or valleys, inside the ama. You put the iako into the ama with both being parallel, then turn the iako 90 degrees to engage the bumps and valleys to hold the ama firmly in place. Over time, this connection has loosened to the point that I use duct tape around the end of the iako before it goes in the ama. That's all that's required to snug up the fit, and allows for a solid connection.

Problem is the duct tape gets all busted up over time, and requires replacement. I'd like something neater and more reliable.

Here's what I'm thinking, then I'd like to hear if others have a better solution. I'm going to apply epoxy, with fairing compound mixed in, to the side of the iako opposite the bumps. This extra thickness will better engage the bumps and valleys on the opposite side when the iako is rotated 90 degrees. I tested this idea with a shim made from a plastic container. And that was all the thickness required to make it a very solid fit.

I'm afraid to make it too thick an application, as it may burst the ama hole over time. I also don't really want to get into trying to re-shape the bumps and valleys, as that would mean trying to work INSIDE the ama hole.

What does everyone think? I'm not bad-mouthing the boat in the least. I've owned this one for a year now, and just bought a second one in Maui.

And don't tell me the best solution is to buy a __________ boat. That's not helpful.

Thanks

Don M
Penticton, Canada

Submitted by kahuna on Sat, 02/16/2013 - 6:20am

a _______________ boat? Haven't heard of those, who's making them? Sounds fast.

#1 Sat, 02/16/2013 - 3:40pm

By far the duct tape method is the best on the iako bumps, the bits that rub wear thru quickly and the rest takes up the slack and prevents pull outs. Been doing that for 5 years, just don't use too much tape and force the interference fit or the Iako will crack internally and leak water into the AMA. Of more concern is the other end of the Iako, which can slip out of the twist lock if worn when turning right on a runner.. Solution, replace the twist locks, the plastic wears before the carbon does.

#2 Sat, 02/16/2013 - 10:25pm

____________ boats are only available in the Okanagan and use a pin system on the iako's so I would definitely go with one of those. For now however I would use simple duct tape over epoxy. Less chance of damage and easy to do. Let me know if come up with a solution so I can apply it to my Storm in 5 years. Also note that there are premium duct tapes and basic ones so don't go cheap.

#3 Tue, 02/19/2013 - 4:52am

Just a quick bit of input. This weekends race on Kauai was epic...But having to stop to help someone on a bunk hurricane wasn't the best way to finish. The unfortunate Paddlers Iako came out at one of these points, and since its not attached to the AMA by clip or pin, the ama swung and out came the other side...there went her nice day in Hawaii Nei. Ama gone no chance of re-rigging or band aid action, Winds in the 30's. If it were not a race she may have been half way to Niihau before any one even noticed she had not made it to Pt. Allen.

Not to put down the small design flaw that would keep a simple piece of an important puzzle together...I just think It should be better. (storm included)

The Knuckle design doesn't make you any faster does it?

Aloha

#4 Tue, 02/19/2013 - 11:14am

I fixed mine by putting an extra layer of carbon fiber around the end of the iako. Then I sanded it down to match the original size/shape of the bumps. This is easier if you can take a mold of a newer iako that hasn't been worn down yet. Then just keep filing down the new layer until your mold fits.
Try the newer iako in your ama first to be sure it's not the sleeve in the iako that's worn.

#5 Mon, 02/25/2013 - 8:03pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.149 seconds.