MOLOKAI 2013, who goin win?

Who is going to be the 1st Hawaii finisher? How much is shell going to win by? Thoughts?

Submitted by numerouno on Tue, 08/20/2013 - 8:52pm

Like luke and others mentioned I believe its the stroke and the catch more than anything else. With conversations with other paddlers on stroke. Tahitians seem to have a way of lifting the boat than powering through to make the boat glide. While I feel we plant then power through to lift the boat. So our lift is through our power their lift is through the catch. So you take your oc1 or v1 and if you can lift then power i think you have an advantage. Take 6 guys to all lift the boat at the same time then power just imagine what could happen. Now this is easier said then done and I dont know the technique to make it happen. But luke seems to be on track with more power up front.Thoughts?

#71 Sun, 09/01/2013 - 8:04pm

i would think power and blade angle will be needed to achieve max lift

#72 Sun, 09/01/2013 - 8:08pm

#73 Mon, 09/02/2013 - 10:43am

I'm just a nobody. But I'm sure if "Kamu Lau" had an ocpaddler account. He'd say something like. "Straight shaft(so there is only forward propulsion)catch has to be up front(so there's is no laboring the stroke. Just bang and release)and timing/blend makes the boat move.

And I'm sure a lot of people in hawaii don't know this. But tahitians also have different change calling. With different tones, which expresses the type of stroke and how hard to paddle. When to go hard and when to reach... so instead of "Bump" or the famous "Now,now,now" these tone variations and types of change calling replace them because the crew already know what each one means.

But like I said I'm a nobody and just got out of the jr. Division not to long ago. So don't take my words to heart now BOOMSKI!!..!

#74 Mon, 09/02/2013 - 10:41am

red sox vs dodgers prolly

#75 Mon, 09/02/2013 - 5:28pm

So Bora juniors are entering? Top 10? Anyone else know how many Tahitian Teams are in the mix?

#76 Mon, 09/23/2013 - 8:39pm

I just spent a week in Tahiti and stayed with Shell's stroker, met some tahitian legends, guys who started youth programs and even the guys who pick Tahitians that go to world sprints, tagged along in practices, and what I heard over and over again from everyone is that Tahiti followed what Stan Dickson told them in the late 90's which led to their domination now. I must've heard a dozen times IN TAHITI

• "if Hawaii were to follow what Stan says they'd be on top. But Hawaii doesn't listen, we do, so we're on top."

Anyone ever notice that the guys from Tahiti that race Keahiakahoe for the Hoe all end up with Shell the very next year? Seriously, people just blog on here what they think Tahiti does, and blah blah blah, why not ask someone who actually knows what Tahiti does or did to lead to this domination? Someone that helped set them on the track that put them where they are now. If people really want to take back the Hoe then they need to go and learn from someone who actually knows what Tahiti does rather then blog on this site saying i THINK tahiti does this, and i THINK tahiti does that.

I'm not trying to start shit with anyone cause I am someone who wants the Molokai crown back in Hawaii's hands badly, and i've been in all these blogs writing my opinions and assumptions on Tahiti too, but after actually being down south and learning workouts, techniques and methods... it's nothing like what people think and write on this site. I had to go to Tahiti to learn that Tahiti brought Stan over in the 90's to figure out how he ran Na Opio and stuff and started to follow what he told them in the 90's, followed through with what he said over the years then in mid 2000 took over Molokai. Why aren't people seeking him out, or maybe even seeking out guys from Tahiti to learn what we need to do as Hawaii not just individual teams to up the level of EVERYONE here. I mean he has guys like Felipe (v-1 world champ, guy who helped make tiger's unlimited for Olamau, also coached Shell during Olamau) staying at his home when he comes to Hawaii. He has that big of a connection with Tahiti, big enough that he sent me down there and they took me in no questions asked, he must know what Tahiti has done, is currently doing and how Hawaii can come back. why aren't we seeking guys like him out asking for help?

Just something to think about

#77 Mon, 09/23/2013 - 11:36pm

If you could tell us what Stan said to them how they changed from what they were doing to what they are doing now that would help a lot. It's not just Shell that's killing us it's quite a few so did they all talk to Stan?

Since you were there can you tell us a little more about what practice was like. Can you go over amount of technique work, team work, team communication, seat duties,mentalitiy going in to practice, their daily lives compared to ours, etc....

Since you've read a lot of our stuff, maybe you could give us a clearer vision.

The question that you ask seems very difficult to answer since we all come from different backgroungs, also I don't know what value the answer will have to getting better.

#78 Tue, 09/24/2013 - 8:37am

It didn't take much effort (Google search), and I found an interview with Stan Dickson. It's a couple years old, but still relevant - and worth a read.

http://www.pacificpaddler.com/0210/pp0210_standickson.html

Bottom line (at least the summary that I get out of it):

Get committed funding (for canoes, youth transportation, etc).
Get youth involved and compete at an early age.
Build the program.

Sounds easy peasy (?)

#79 Tue, 09/24/2013 - 10:03am

delete

#80 Tue, 09/24/2013 - 9:02pm

What Stan stands for is sacrifice, putting hard work and long hours and years into something that you might not even witness coming into fruition, but might be something for generations to come. Just like kupuna who laid the ground work for what we enjoy now.

I have had some ideas over the years, and reading this thread makes me think that maybe there are many like me who could have helped to start something, maybe it is part of our life's purpose, who knows, but not taking action just means another generation will go by without the opportunity to take it to the next level.

We need a road map.

#81 Wed, 09/25/2013 - 9:39am

Stan is the man, who was way ahead of his time by bringing in Tahitian Champions to teach Hawaii kids the lost skill of paddling one-man canoes way back in 1992. This was before the current OC-1s and V-1s were born. The kids learned how to paddle and steer rudderless Lagoon Style OC-1's only on one side, without tossing the paddle from side to side like a baton. This skill was taught in the pond behind the Hygenic Store in Kahaluu. The Tahitians would also demonstrate how to paddle in the chop from Kahaluu to "around the hat" and back way before there was a race. Now if Stan would post his Bastille Day lagoon race movie, it would be great, for it is a classic worth viewing, for no matter what, today's V-1 races are rather tame compared to those lagoon races in 1990.

#82 Wed, 09/25/2013 - 12:14pm

Stan knows the steps that Tahiti took to bring up their kids to what the men are now. A lot of people in Hawaii say we have to bring up the kids or focus on the kids, but what does that even mean? How do you plan on bringing the kids up? Bringing up their level?

There are all kinds of things that Tahiti did, and what Stan tells me and what they told me down South is way to much for me to write, but some examples would be making youth programs and clinics not just for a select group of "good" kids with "potential" but ALL the kids in Tahiti, and at these clinics kids could meet and learn from the Champion paddlerS from all over Tahiti. Not just one guy Something like if Hawaii were to have clinics or whatever for ALL the kids where they could learn from and meet the same guys they look up to and see in Magazines, the big name paddlers like Kai, Jimmy, Manny, and etc.

To me the biggest thing is the coaches had to get certified. If you wanna coach in Tahiti you go through a 3 month course to get certified before you're allowed to coach, so now you know all the people who are coaching actually know what they're talking about and how to coach. Kids can learn right from the beginning how to do things properly and correctly and what to focus on. I mean no offense to anyone here, but I paddle past clubs where people helping coach the specials and 12 girls or 12 boys during regatta season are volunteer moms who don't even paddle. So while the kids down in Tahiti learn things right at an early age, the kids up here are learning things wrong or picking up bad habits that stick with them forever, or if they're lucky they get a good coach down the road, but then have to spend lots of time breaking bad habits.

I mean things like that. There are a lot of things they did to bring up the level of the kids, which then started to push the men to try harder to keep their seats, then these talented kids become men, and new kids come in and get to an even higher level then the kids before, everyone is pushing to keep their seat, and the level in Tahiti keeps growing and growing.

I mean, these are just SOME of the things I've heard or was told. But yeah, we can't just simply say focus on the kids. There needs to be some type of plan, some type of direction on what exactly to do with the kids to bring up their game. And Stan is the man who knows how the Tahitians brought up theirs, maybe if you talk with him you can see if he has some sort of direction on what to do with our own kids. Maybe if we can't get all of Hawaii on board we can focus on bringing up OHCRA or Hui Waa or one island at a time, and maybe people will start jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm not saying I know what to do, or where to start, but I just wanted to point out we can't simply keep saying we gotta bring up the kids, or focus more on the kids, but we really have to think, HOW can we bring up the level of the kids here

#83 Wed, 09/25/2013 - 10:18pm

Don't rag on me for posting. Just bringing this point into it. How do you find the talented youth in the U.S. to get involved with canoe paddling, when most of our talented athletes want to be the next Peyton Manning, Lebron James, Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, etc. In the U.S. paddling doesn't pay millions in fact it doesn't really pay anything. I know we don't paddle for the money we do it because we love the ocean and its apart of our culture. But at the end of the day MOST of our talented youth athletes are trying to get a full ride to college to get an education. Unfortunately I'm not aware of many schools that would give free tuition to a canoe paddler (I could be wrong), but if your talented at basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, swimming, golf, etc. you got a chance at getting a free education and possibly going pro and making MILLIONS! (Again I know we don't paddle for the money, I'm just trying to bring this part into the equation.) Having been to Tahiti, Paddling is the NFL. Most the talented athletes in tahiti growing up want to be apart of shell va'a, edt, opt, paddling connection, etc. (unless they do soccer or surfing). You can make a great living doing that. Therefore at 12 years old your out paddling with your friends to constantly, racing, and you even paddle for physical education in school. It's a way of life in Tahiti. That being said how do we go forward calculating this disadvantage that we are given. Thoughts????

#84 Thu, 09/26/2013 - 10:50am

@Nathan L

@Aukina3

True and True. I think both paths are in the same direction, and one couldn't exist without the other.

Now does anyone know how many Tahitian Teams are coming?

I hope our big dogs can take a few down this year.

Train Hard, and Live Aloha

#85 Thu, 09/26/2013 - 11:52am

Shell Va'a, EDT, et Tahaa coming up for 2013 Hoe and @Kauaisurf85 - yes it would be great to see Hawaiiz big dogs take down a few... Couple more weeks - The countdown begins!

#86 Thu, 09/26/2013 - 2:01pm

nathan and aukina have very good points. i think a realistic option is for UH to have a sanctioned paddling team. at first it would be difficult to gain scholarship money, but i think eventually with enough public support and perhaps grant money, this would be possible. maybe eventually create teams for UH's various campuses across the state. heck, maybe get some west coast schools involved as well.

once the sport grows in this framework, these universities could justify scholarships. More races wouldn't be necessary, just enter the existing events as UH, and hopefully other universities would compete.

this would perhaps turn more kids towards paddling in high school because of the potential for a college scholarship. we all know how difficult it is for kids to get scholarships for other sports. thus, the talent pool would increase. this combined with a structured program espoused by healthy, dickson, and nathan would produce significant progress. all the while the kids would get an education.

obviously, this would require a unified effort from each club and association in the state.

i am dreaming here, but heck, i would love it if it reached this level. maybe we could free up a bunch of scholarships if we got rid of, dare i say, UH football. just kidding.

#87 Thu, 09/26/2013 - 2:55pm

Aukina and Nathan,

You guys bring up great points about the sport. I personally feel that America's sports systems are going down the drain because they have gotten too political and gone are the days of rewarding the top three finishers. In today's world everybody wins and it is not creating a competitive nature among the athletes anymore. Parent's today are living their sports short-comings through their children and it is simply getting out of hand. America's pro athletes are no longer role models for kids, because they are all too wrapped up in themselves and only interested in setting up the biggest contract that they can get. Sure there are a few outliers that make exception to the stereotype, but, they definitely are few and far in between.

I wish that I would have known about paddling when I was a kid. The competitive nature on the water and the ohana nature on the beach creates such a unique dynamic that you rarely see in any other sport. I love it.

Lastly, I am 100% behind the concept about coaching certification. Coaches have a direct effect on how well a team does or alternatively, how bad a team is. I have experienced both sides of the coaching spectrum, and can personally attest that the teams I was on that had a coach that everybody respected and learned from, always did better than those with crappy, unintelligent coaches.

#88 Fri, 09/27/2013 - 7:08am

2 cents from a non-Hawaiian: look at the development model for Olympic flatwater paddlers. Go to this page:

http://www.canadiansportforlife.ca/resources/ltad-sport-models?page=2

and click on the link for "Long-Term Athlete Development Plan for Canoe Kayak Canada - Sprint"

A couple of quotes:

"Scientific research has identified that it takes approximately 10 years and 10,000 hours of training for a talented athlete to reach elite levels"

"To reach their genetic potential, athletes need to do the right type of training at the right stage. Athletes who miss these windows of trainability can still compete at the highest level, but it will require more time and effort for them to enhance these capacities to the same level as those who did the right training at the right time"

#89 Fri, 09/27/2013 - 8:06am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ANOTHER FIRST BY HAWAII'S OWN - OCEAN PADDLER TV
6 HOUR LIVE TV BROADCAST OF THE MOLOKAI HOE OUTRIGGER CANOE RACE
Ocean Paddler TV is proud to announce the First Live TV Broadcast of the World Championship of Men's Outrigger Canoe Paddling – The Molokai Hoe!
This groundbreaking Live TV broadcast pushes the boundaries of modern broadcast technology. After year’s of technology development and adaptation, Ocean Paddler TV has partnered with Oceanic Time Warner’s OC16 (channel 12 and 1012 in Hawaii) to bring Hawaii’s paddling fans 6 hours of live TV coverage across the remote waters of the Kaiwi Channel.
Video feeds from the event will be broadcast from boats and helicopters and hosted by:
- Guy Hagi (TV celebrity and avid waterman) and Lauren Spalding (World Champion
Paddler)
- Kala’i Miller – Ocean Paddler’s TV host and avid paddler.

The live TV broadcast of a canoe race from the remote and often treacherous waters of the
Kaiwi Channel
is a huge step forward for outrigger canoe paddling and signifies the well
deserved recognition as a mainstream sport of deep cultural significance in Hawaii.... with this
live TV broadcast, we are pushing the limits of technology and broadcast creativity, setting a
new standard for innovative sports TV coverage
....” Said Alex Reinprecht, executive Producer
In addition to the live TV broadcast, people from around the world can also watch via a webcast
at www.new.livestream.com/oceanpaddlerlive
“When we launched our first episode in 2008, our goal was to create a cultural connection between Hawaii, our state team sport and people all around the world, showcasing Hawaii in a true authentic light . Today we air weekly to over 50 million households on the mainland as well as international syndication. We have achieved our initial goal and continue to strive for higher excellence” Terry Galpin, Segment Producer -Director of Marketing of Ocean Paddler TV

#90 Sun, 10/06/2013 - 1:56pm

Big Big Big aplause to the guys who are making this happen! The spreading of Wa'a fever will only make us stronger. It's another big step to taking on our beloved rivals from Tahiti! In my opinion at least.

I bet there's a few sponsors out there hoping they can place a decal or ten on the top boats now.

Now no forget to smile boys

Aloha

#91 Sun, 10/06/2013 - 7:56pm

well,maybe not EDT,their top paddler could not make the flight,passport pilikia.Unless catch next Saturday's one,arrive around 5am,take helicopter to Hale o Lono?EDT get kala.

#92 Mon, 10/07/2013 - 9:01pm

then again,give chance to someone else.

#93 Mon, 10/07/2013 - 9:03pm

Going with EDT first mellow Johnny's first hawaii crew battle with primo and outrigger! But never know some other crews might find that perfect line! Good luck to all!

#94 Mon, 10/07/2013 - 10:42pm

What is considered first Hawaii Crew?? Everyone in the crew has to be a resident of Hawaii?? Just wondering?? Everyone says first Hawaii crew and there's guys that don't even live in Hawaii that are in the crew? I mean can I consider my crew from Hawaii if i have a Tahitian and an Australian in the canoe but they are both residents of Hawaii?? Thoughts??

#95 Tue, 10/08/2013 - 9:14am

easiest way to tell is where the paddler does the majority of their year round pooping. if i'm not mistaken one could make the argument that you're European, Simeon is Filipino, and so on. by this train of thought there's hardly any Hawaiian crews. thus the pooping rule. maybe say that once you import people that poop outside of Hawai‘i just for this race that, in essence, you're not a local crew any more.

to stay on subject, I say Shell wins. there's a cool article in this month's Hawaiian skies magazine about Shell which also mentions a couple other Tahitian teams. kind of eye opening to see that yes, the top guys get support from their employers, but they also train a ton and work a 9-5 job. they cram more into a week than I expected. some guys paddle to work, cross train, go to work, do a one hour time trial on lunch break, then paddle after work with the team. if I get around to it I'll try scanning it. good insight.

#96 Tue, 10/08/2013 - 10:32am

@Aukina.... Hard to really say right? I guess because there is no category on ALL Hawaii crew there is no stipulation so I guess it would have to come down to your personal pride,feelings,and hardwork. If you feel as a crew you trained with each other under one banner and had a successful crossing great. If you feel like you trained hard but had a few tahitians, australians,or mainland guys who made the boat move way better than the guys you were training with in hawaii then I'm not too sure if I would have felt a sense of accomplishment for myself. One thing about this sport is because we dont get paid its all pride and you are gonna go home and either feel like you were the best hawaii crew or not only your performance and heart will decide and that will be stuck with you forever.

Example a few years ago I worked in kauai for a summer so I paddle with a Kauai club. Our goal was to be the best kauai crew and best outer island crew besides oahu and livestrong and we achieved that goal. I was the only non resident of kauai on that crew but I paddled with them through that season that I felt a part of them so it felt great.

Looking at races thus far I consider most primo,outrigger,hui nalu,lanikai and most outer island crew hawaii crews. Havent seen mellow johnnys crew but i heard olamau had a few tahitians so will they be the best? Im not sure but if they are the best only the feeling inside of them can determine if they feel like a hawaii crew. For now it seems like a battle between occ and primo for hawaiis best. Kailua,lanikai, and hui nalu is strong and I like Hui Nalus steersman in the channel!!!!

#97 Tue, 10/08/2013 - 2:47pm

My apologies. Image quality sucks but it's readable.

Edit: gotta log in to see the attachments.

#98 Thu, 10/10/2013 - 1:38pm

Keahiakahoe. has the opportunity to be all hawaii residents. not to mention all HAWAIIANS with great potential. Looks like we have to wait til next year to see how that pans out!! But the bestvof luck to the team they have entered!!!

#99 Thu, 10/10/2013 - 11:19am

keahiakahoe had some mean solid young cool hawaiians this year!!! they wouldve been tough!!

#100 Thu, 10/10/2013 - 2:23pm

Mahalo jc9 0 for the article!

#101 Thu, 10/10/2013 - 7:41pm

I can't read 3rd-5th page. Where is that article published?

#102 Fri, 10/11/2013 - 12:35pm

Outrigger then live strong, primo, lanikai, hui Nalu, Kailua, keahiakahoe, BeachBoys, na malokama,

#103 Fri, 10/11/2013 - 3:52pm

from pass results ill throw outriggers 2nd crew before beachboys... and i would throw puuwai in that pot..actually all kauai crews hanalei,na molokama ,puuwai, dark horse kukuiula watch out for those boys!!!

#104 Fri, 10/11/2013 - 4:06pm

Hawaii crews...
Mellow Johnny's
Primo
OCC
Kailua / Hui Nalu

#105 Sat, 10/12/2013 - 10:28am

I agree with hwnhH20.

Flat Channel-

Hawaii Crews

1Mellow Johnny

2Primo

3 OCC

4 Hui Nalu

#106 Sat, 10/12/2013 - 11:51am

The good news is that all Hawaii Crews will have an overall higher place, as there will be fewer Tahiti Crews entered!

#107 Sat, 10/12/2013 - 7:32pm

Mellow Tahitians, lol!!

#108 Sun, 10/13/2013 - 6:47pm

was just checking out the results and it looks like the Tahitians smashed. but, I see a glimmer of hope in that long list of results. it has nothing to do with the top 5, 10, 20, or even 40. Hawaii's chance at being competitive in the next generation of paddlers started today. Because today the 83rd, 64th, and 50th place crews did what none of the current generation of paddlers was even allowed to do; race as juniors. These kids are getting an earlier start, racing farther, training harder, and paddling longer races than their parents ever did at their age. Thanks to OHCRA for making the junior division happen. Congratulations to the paddlers and coaches of the youth programs at Keola O Ke Kai, Lanikai, and Outrigger. You were at ground zero when the change in attitude started.

#109 Sun, 10/13/2013 - 7:58pm

jc9_0 you nailed it!!! Now, all they got to do is schedule the Molokai Hoe after the football and waterpolo season pau? Garrans!

#110 Mon, 10/14/2013 - 1:33am

Did the Jr. Tahatian crew not compete or did they compete?

I heard EDT had a super secret slow stroke rate which directly conflicted the Shell super secret high stroke rate, is this true? I missed it cause started doing my own super secret stroke rate that lasted longer them Tahitians.

Mellow Johnny closed the gap on Shell and opened it on Primo. Keahiakahoe stunnin a little bit Sunday!

@MBSKI- We may have had a lot less tahitians this year but there were a lot more top combonation teams that performed well. So Hawaii teams really didn't do better than last year as expected. I agreed with your original statement but seems it was wrong or am I missing something.

#111 Tue, 10/15/2013 - 3:30pm

Huge props go to those boys in the jr division!

-EDT stroke was a little slower than 80 something strokes per minute during the time I could see them... Couldn't see them past a couple changes.

@Healthyearth Comparing this year and last year...I just gauge the time between Shell and Us to say weather or not we did better or worse. I'm proud to say we shaved off some minutes from last year. Place wise however you are correct that since there were less Tahitian crews we all got a place or two better than last year. Then again a race is a race, and I'll take it anyday.

We had the chance to trade blows with a Tahitian crew...even though they were 40+ I'm sure there are some teams that would love to say at least that.

My biggest gripe with this weekend wasn't the complexity of registration for outer island, or out of state for that matter, Nor was it the lack of trade winds. It was the poor pre race speech that made me quite angry as a Hawaiian.

We as a Wa'a people should respect all others and step lightly with strong humility. In my humble opinion a pre race rally isn't the place to make jokes about the people/teams who we are trying to learn from.

Truthfully I just hope that they laughed it off, and it doesn't turn around to bite us in the ass. For years now we have been making excuses. Get over it, and learn from it. Don't ruin Hawaiians reputation of aloha, Tahiti deserves respect, Hawaiians deserve respect. I hope I wasn't the only one to feel this way.

Thank you OHCRA for the introduction of Jr division.

Aloha

#112 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 12:32am

Nicely said Kauaisurf. Everyone deserves respect. I think edt adapted to the slower stroke as it works better for the bigger boys, like paddling connection style. koz mihimana in that boat. Wilfred is a great coach & he teaches that for paddling. Yes the margin was bigger or so for some, but like jc9 said, really awsome to see the juniors being out there. Bright future for hawaii paddling. Again, congrats to everyone that raced, hold your heads up another channel under the belt. I going to practice a secret stroke also. Not sure if it'll be any good, but if im by myself, then it'll prop' feel really fast.. LOL

#113 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 10:08am

I hear Team Primo had one of their veteran team members injured a week before the Hoe and put in a teen- great job done by all. Everyone who participated sacrificed a lot of time training on top of the expense
. Congrats on everyone's dedication no matter where you finished.

#114 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 10:48am

observations: basically the same result as last year. however, tahaa improved from 6th to 3rd. tahaa bested all non-tahitian crews. congrats to all.

where is the wind? kinda tired of flat water racing.

#115 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 1:27pm

yes numerouno,and Taha'a is a small island,nothing there but farmers and fishermen,and nono (noseeums).Can't accuse them of being professionals.You can read some news from tahitian side,i pasted the link with English translation,not sure if that came through,but you can select English on the page.
http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Va-a-V6-Depart-de-4-equipes-pour-la-course-d...
http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Va-a-V6-Shell-Vodafone-Va-a-gagne-a-Molokai-...

#116 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 1:56pm

Apparently Taha'a has 5,003 people. Generally, in an average population, 7% of the people are males between 20 - 29. Meaning that there are literally 350 possible candidates for their crew.
Compare that to O'ahu, where out of slightly more than 953,000 people we have around 66,724 men between 20 and 29. Or even to Kailua alone, with a population of 50,000 and 3,500 potential paddlers between 20 and 29.

I think that Taha'a disproves the argument that Tahiti's success is because Hawai's best athletes play other sports while Tahiti's best athletes paddle. Taha'a finished 9 minutes ahead of Hawai'i's fastest team.

#117 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 5:01pm

Tahaa-they definitely know how to paddle. Congrats to them! We need to keep paddling fun or many won't paddle. Maybe in Tahiti more fun as it is their #1 sport. Win or lose- keep it fun. Paddletics- fun or no fun? Beer after a paddle- fun or no fun? You choose. I am going with the beer and fun.

#118 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 7:59pm

k

I would really really like to see a Hawaiian team take back the Molokai Hoe title, especially before Shell gets to the 10 year mark.Until then, I think a realistic aim for amateurs in Hawaii should be to ensure that TahaaNui level teams stay behind Hawaii.

How? Here's a little observation.

I loved EDT's 2014 "huti roa" stroke which has followed Mihimana Ahmin from paddling 505. in 2013 EDT stroke was really a bit faster with Steeve Teihoataata in the team. I think EDT showed real good teamwork with the whole team learning to adapt to a new guy. This is quite a major change, to change eight guys way of doing things, change their minds. trusting and accepting a new guy and his ideas. But they saw it experienced it and decided to adopt it.

This comes down to a mindset which is all about learning, instead of perhaps trying to keep things as they are. I also know the EDT coach Heiarii (acknowledged as a master of technique in Tahiti) was very open to Mihimana's new style. Like a kung fu master learning more. Heiarii also gave the Mellow Johnny's guys some tips. And so the circle revolves....

Maybe some teams can try some new strokes without feeling like they are totally letting everything in their past go. I think then there might be some more rivalry in the level just below EDT,Shell & OPT. I think also it will be a positive cycle of change if the new knowledge can be incorporated and tried.

Kingi

#119 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 9:12pm

Tahaa had a few extras from Shell paddling with them, but nonetheless those guys can paddle

#120 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 9:43pm

paddlefast, you left out another option. winning a race AND drinking beers while having a designated driver. Probably the even more funnerest option.

#121 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 10:49pm

Aloha to you all,
well done to all of you involved on last weekend molokai hoe, even being from another country, my heart allways want a Hawaii come back, since i lived and paddled for Manu (Haleiwa) for 7 years. but when i found out OHCRA opened Junior division i saw a bright future. for development, education and performance in open ocean marathons. huge step forward.
the door is open, and clubs can work their programs, in several years this threads will change.

imua Hawaii nei!

#122 Thu, 10/17/2013 - 2:21am

Hi,
my apologize for my english...english isn't my native language. I follow OC forums for 2 years and i am always surprised and sometimes scared about what i've read. I am not here for giving you lessons but I just want to share with you my experience. For several years, i and other friends and parents take care of young guys (boys and girls) from my island ( from 12 to 16 years old), put them in paddling, 2 times per day ( from 5 to 6.30 am before going to school, and from 5 to 7 pm after school), from monday to thursday, and only in the evening on friday. On saturday, it's up to them because it's day off like sunday, but young guys prefer go to paddle. Training only on V1 because we didn't have at this moment V6 or V3.
Training every day, no matter the weather, rain, wind, big wave, cold....training with only one thing in their mind, be ready for the Heiva races in tahiti. We all were conscious that it would be difficult for us because of the high level of young paddlers from tahiti and the other islands but we also conscious that we will represent our island so we have to put our children in their limit.
Results : 2 times in tahiti for heiva races, and our young guys did it , they won some first place (in V1, V3 and V6 cadets) and also good place (2nd) in junior races against OPT, borabora and other teams...It was a good experience for our children and good things for our island. Of course it was not again shell or edt, but just to give an little idea among many others of how our young children prepare them; and they have the supports of parents, friends, sisters, brothers, uncles, gd father and mother... Here in french polynesia, young paddlers always know the sacrifice to do to get in the top, so they train hard and many of them arrive in the top seniors at the age of 17, 18 or 19 and for some of them at the age of 16 with enough experience, which make easy their integration in top team.
There's no secret, training, training, and training.

#123 Tue, 10/22/2013 - 7:56pm

Imua to the Junior event! Was so awesome to watch these young Men race.

#124 Tue, 10/22/2013 - 10:01pm

@Fana de Rame

Mahalo for the insight. It sounds like that is the true secret of most thinks in life! "Practice makes Perfect"
I/We just need more motivation i guess.

#125 Wed, 10/23/2013 - 11:32am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.422 seconds.