Need help deciding between XS and Hurricane

Hi
I know quite a bit about both of the boats and have paddled an older Hurricane for a couple of months and an XS for about 25 minutes. Both feel ok but the main difference, from what I have read and learned from others is that the Hurricane is better on flat water and the XS is better in waves. I am 67, not likely to race much or go in really rough water or surf. I weigh 135 lbs and want a boat that is light and easy to get to the beach and on top of the car-Honda Element. If I was in Maui I would take the XS without question. Here in Vancouver, BC the Hurricane makes more sense but it is heavier. Are there any other factors I need to consider here that I might be missing?
Thanks to those who may respond in advance. John

Submitted by JohnC on Thu, 10/10/2013 - 2:15pm

What is the more comfortable canoe for you? Hurricane you sit on stop the XS you sit in a cockpit sort of. Resale: Hurricane is a much older design, XS more current design. I'd say what ever is more comfortable, stable for you. Buy it and get out as much as you can. Hats off to you and your friends paddling in that weather!

#1 Thu, 10/10/2013 - 3:26pm

I'm in Vancouver too, and I have a 2012 Hurricane.
I did my fair share of research before getting a boat - and asked fellow paddlers as well.
Many said that Hurricane was a boat better suited for Vancouver / Pacific NorthWest conditions. I liked the sit-on-top feel of the hurricane too. Also - in recent years - the manufacturer of the Hurricane decided to move the rudder further forward, which is supposed to improve the steering in wavier / surf type conditions.

I don't think the weight differential is too big ( a couple of pounds?) Just cut back on the bonbons and loco moco, and you'll have shaved a few pounds off the rider/boat weight. ;)

Having said that - if money was no object - I'd try to get my hands on an extended-footwell Pueo (for taller guys).

And having said that, it's ultimately up to the user, and what feels best for him/her.

#2 Fri, 10/11/2013 - 9:26pm

Oh, and I too have a Honda Element. :)
I haven't had too much of a problem transporting the Hurricane around - except the rack bars are quite close to each other, and the boat itself is long. You want to make sure you've properly loaded and strapped the boat the the cradles, and use bow / stern lines, if you're travelling long distances or on a highway.

#3 Fri, 10/11/2013 - 9:33pm

I concur with the others re: the choice which canoe to jump on. I'm showing an option for you to transport your canoe on a vehicle with close set rack bars. It's homemade. Similar to some of the "sling" rack products you can buy out there. Not sure if picture will upload or not. PM me if you'd like to see pix. Nope, picture didn't upload.

#4 Sat, 10/12/2013 - 3:45am

Thanks for the feedback. I was not impressed by the closeness of the Honda Element racks so, after seeing an Element from Seattle I went to Rack Attack and paid for the landing pads that went in the 4 corners of the roof. They are sealed and blind bolted into the roof. There is a maximum weight but my wife's kayak and an OC1 are well within it. It works much better and is situated on the iako mounting areas. I have some Element stock landing pads if anyone wants them.

#5 Sat, 10/12/2013 - 9:33am

As far as cockpit comfort I can't say enough about the scorpius line. I have a china made scorpius and a maui made xm extended footwell and I have to say that my xm is the most comfortable canoe I've been in. Fits like a glove and feels very secure in the open ocean. Also catches the smallest of bumps with ease.

#6 Thu, 10/17/2013 - 7:17pm

XS

#7 Fri, 10/18/2013 - 7:43pm

I own a Xm . i agree with faria.... comfort in this boat is the amazing. For racing however, I like hurricane more. I dont get to paddle with surf or swells so I dont get to take advantage of xm abilities.

#8 Mon, 10/21/2013 - 4:13am

in Vancouver I'd imagine you'd want the most efficient hull possible. Let that be the decision maker for you. Every time I've ever seen the water in vancouver it's sheet glass.

#9 Mon, 10/21/2013 - 9:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.195 seconds.