Pressure testing an OC-1

HI,
I've got a couple of old OC-1's that take on a little water. I'd like to pressure test them. I have a homemade vacuum pump/ compressor(Old Fridge compressor) that I could use but I need to regulate the pressure. I was wondering what pressure would be good. I know too much and i could pop the seam so I was thinking maybe 1psi or so. Does this sound right? I was able to pressure test the ama by spraying the whole thing with soap and connecting the air line for a few seconds and looking, but the larger hull may not work as well. And if you have any sugguestions on how to regulate the pressure that would be helpful. Right now my though is to connect fish air tube to the drain plug with a t- connector and a valve going to the canoe so i can turn down the pressure and let the excess leak out.

Submitted by kalikikopa on Sat, 08/24/2013 - 5:11pm

One PSI even too much. Get a couple kids ( good eyes ) to help you soapy water and watch for bubbles.

Just blow into it a couple times. You will feel the boat 'inflate'. This enough.

Don't try and do the whole boat one shot ... A couple breath and do say 20% at a time and pay close attention.

aloha,
pog

#1 Sat, 08/24/2013 - 5:54pm

Thank you for the advice. What I did was take a hose that fit over the vent hose and taped a balloon to the other side. Blew it up and stuck it on the vent tube. Low pressure, but enough to show me the leak. Thanks again.

#2 Sun, 08/25/2013 - 7:27pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.166 seconds.