PVC Canoe Stand Padding

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas about how to pad pvc canoe stands. I made some in the X form (1 inch pvc), and have been using pipe insulation, but it tends to split, spin around the pipe, and look messy. Any other suggestions to cover/pad the places where the canoe touches the stands?

Submitted by ryim on Wed, 02/27/2013 - 1:08am

Pipe insulation the diameter of the PVC, any hardware store.

#1 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 4:16am

Those pool noodle things work good, just cut 'em to length. Different colors too!

#2 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 12:25pm

Couple of things I've done to my canoe stands or suggestions to try.

1. Put double sided tape on the PVC to hold the insulation in place to keep from spinning.
  2. You could buy a roll of 20mm black PVC tape and wrap the pipe insulation to help keep them from splitting and making the foam last longer.
  3. Buy some 3mm Craft foam with the sticky backing from a Craft store ( I usually go to the Craft Store near the Food Court above the Sam's Club in Pearl City). You can wrap the PVC pipe and keep overlapping the excess over itself. They come in 9 x 12 inch sheets and only cost $.99. You can easily replace them whenever they get messed up,
  4. If you know someone that has a sewing machine, you could buy some nylon canvas (or some other cloth) and have them make some sleeves to put over the pipe insulation or foam for protection from UV rays of the Sun which tend to deteriorate foam. I used plastic zip ties to hold the sleeves in place on some of mine that are loose and could slip off.
  5. You could also use those Swim/Pool Noodles to slip on the PVC pipe in place of pipe insulation. There are some that have larger holes that can fit a 1 inch pipe.
  6. I've seen some stands that people have put strips of deck padding for surfboards/SUP boards.

#3 Wed, 02/27/2013 - 1:09pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.201 seconds.