Question for SCORA folks

When I did Catalina last year, I noticed quite a few unlimited class canoes. In this year's crossing results, I see over 25% of the canoes are unlimited. I heard Odi went over to build a bunch of Pure unlimited and John Puakea has been doing stuff as well. So what's the situation in Southern Cal? Are all clubs moving to unlimited designs? Is SCORA working on a new specification?

Submitted by oc_ken on Tue, 10/15/2013 - 2:26pm

I was racing down there the year that both Odie and Johnny were in the area building unlimiteds. The "unlimited" canoe does handle extremely well in the SoCal waters and I think that there is a lot of excitement surrounding them because they are very surfable in California waters. No longer do you need extremely big ground swell to get the 400lb Mirages and Bradleys up to speed to surf.

When I was there, an Unlimited class had already been formed for both men's and women's 6-man races.

#1 Tue, 10/22/2013 - 5:47am

The best thing is no need trailers too, only easy for car top them unlimited canoes above your pick-up truck and drive anywhere for put-in and take out.

#2 Tue, 10/22/2013 - 10:05am

Up here in the NW, we have had an unlimited division for two years now, this has included light weight Bradley's and Mirages. But only for distance!

#3 Sun, 10/27/2013 - 8:28am

Maybe the pacific northwest outrigger clubs (BC, WA, OR) should get together with one of the manufacturers to build a bunch of boats so each club has at least one boat to race in the "unlimited" category. I'm still wondering if the southern California outrigger clubs have a strategy in this regard.

#4 Mon, 10/28/2013 - 7:26am

SCORA added an Unlimited division for Iron and Change races, along with keeping the Spec, Bradley, and age divisions.

In the beginning there was talk of creating a California class canoe but for the time being clubs seem to enjoy the flexibility of racing any kind of lightweight canoe. There are many designs of Unlimited canoes being raced, from light weight Lightenings/Mirages to new designs by Odie, Kamanu, Johnny and a few local builders.

As a paddler I enjoy paddling to the start line and seeing clubs with beautiful new canoes all summer long.

#5 Mon, 10/28/2013 - 8:48am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.184 seconds.