Rack System For The Garage???

I'm moving to a new house in February and would like to store my canoe inside the garage on one of the walls. Was wondering if there's a recommended rack system that would hold a 18 foot canoe??

Thanks!

D.

Submitted by lazybones92037 on Fri, 10/25/2013 - 8:59am

What I did was go to the hardware store and buy a couple 18" lengths of 2 1/2" PVC pipe. Get a couple of threaded couplings and ductile iron feet and lag screw them into the studs in the wall.

Works like a charm and you'll probably only spend around $10

#1 Fri, 10/25/2013 - 5:15pm

Yep, Kileki thats the best and cheapest way I've found so far. I used Threaded steel pipe instead of PVC for strength,but PVC no need to pad them.

#2 Sat, 10/26/2013 - 7:18am

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm not super handy with power tools and building things. I found the photo below (archived on this forum) and think I might be able to do this myself. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it : )

#3 Sat, 10/26/2013 - 1:13pm

Another option is hanging loops of nylon webbing. No padding needed and when there's no boat on them they lie almost flat against the wall. This keeps my wife from running into them with the car or my son from running by and smacking his head on something metal. Both things have happened in the past. You may not have a wife or a son so these might not be issues for you.

#4 Sat, 10/26/2013 - 7:24pm

Thanks jc0_0 I do have a son, but no wife (just an ex-husband). I like the idea of nylon webbing, but want something more permanent against the wall that will also hold some other gear/toys.

#5 Thu, 10/31/2013 - 3:15pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.172 seconds.