retrofiting a rudder

Hi there,
If someone knows the "allwave" outrigger brand (it's italian) :
I want to paddle on shallow rivers with my oracle duo. The standard rudder is 28 cm long.
They don't seem to make "special rudders", so I guess I need to retrofit an existing one from another brand, or even a surfski one without changing the yoke (I still want my standard rudder when at sea).

I could just buy another standard one and cut it in half, but I confess slaughtering a perfectly smooth working and brand new carbon rudder pains me a lot, not to mention the cost.
Any ideas ?

For what it's worth : The shaft is 8 cm in diameter, 20,5 cm long, with flat ends (not square, just two sides flat parallel to the yoke axis - I hope it's understandable) and an M4 female threading at the end.
Thanks in advance !

Submitted by fabrice on Sun, 03/10/2013 - 11:16pm

Hi Fabrice,
Please see email about possibly using one of my rudders for shallow water, river racing ... Very simple, log proof, retrofit.
aloha,
pog
www.onnopaddles.com

Edit to add ... Did not notice before but no contact info for you on here. ... My email on website if you want to check in.

#1 Mon, 03/11/2013 - 1:00am

Thanks onnopaddle, will contact you.
Re-reading I laughed a lot : The shaft is 8 mm not cm in diameter. :-)
Sorry I can't edit the first message.

#2 Mon, 03/11/2013 - 1:27am

Now allwave just e-mailed me that they can build one.
I'll keep you informed, might be of interest to someone.

#3 Mon, 03/11/2013 - 4:32am

Don't go too small though, we used a k1 rudder on a OC2 for a 404km river race and while it did reduce drag and hide within the rocker shadow for log hopping, there was a delay of about 3 paddle strokes before the canoe reacted. Just takes some getting used to and a bit of anticipation.

Probably be less reaction time on an OC1 though.

#4 Tue, 03/12/2013 - 1:08am

I eventually managed to build my own rudders.

I chose to keep a thick width to my profile in order to avoid stalling (as opposed to thin metal plate rudder, for instance)
With a bit of perspective now (4 months of testing), it seems a good way to go, regardless of the increased drag.
Even with a small rudder, the feeling is quite good under the foot, and the response is good also (a bit better on an OC1 than an OC2, obviously)
I designed it to be fragile enough to snap before ruining the hull in case it came in rough contact. (My worst fear when paddling rivers).

The building is reported here : http://vaatoru.blogspot.fr/2013/04/safran-maison.html

Sorry, it's in French. I just tried google translate on it : A bit off but still you can get the thing.
Safran is the French word for the rudder plate, if you ask :-)

edit : reading further the google translation gave me a good laugh, but I fear it may be puzzling. Just feel free to ask if you need some more information. My email adress is on the blog's contact page.

#5 Mon, 08/12/2013 - 5:01am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.