Scorpius XM

FEEDBACK GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm fairly new to paddling. However, I have a long endurance sport resume, but primarily built on ironman triathlons and ultramarathons.

I did my first OC1 race last weekend on my three month old Scorpius XM. I consider myself in good shape, and have worked hard on my paddling technique. Midway through the race I noticed that I was doing about three strokes, to everybody else's two strokes and moving at the same speed. Something just seemed off.

Taking technique out of the equation, is it possible I am losing a lot of speed due to my weight on the XM (I'm a lean 5'-9", 155 lbs)? I initally noticed the XM is for 180 lbs and higher but planned to play around more in the surf with it.

Or am I just more of a wuss than I thought?

Submitted by dustin1023 on Thu, 11/14/2013 - 2:32pm

Well, I'll put it this way for you...
Firstly, why would you take technique out of the equation? I'd start there, and then move on to trivial items like how much you weigh. Secondly, unless you're under 120 lbs. or over 280 lbs. your weight's not gonna hinder you on that canoe. And even then, it probably wouldn't be your biggest issue.

#1 Thu, 11/14/2013 - 2:58pm

Thanks goto. I just meant assuming technique was the same from one canoe to the next, is it possible I could be losing a lot of speed on the XM (due to being on the WAY light side for that canoe). You answered my question either way.

#2 Thu, 11/14/2013 - 3:05pm

give yourself more time. Technique takes a lot of practice-ask Tiger Woods. Conditions matter. You are a bit light for the XM, an XS is more ideal for your weight- however time on the water is a key factor. But technique is the key and tricky. Just get out there and enjoy it. Where do you paddle? Get in a group of paddlers and work on improving. Slow down your stroke a bit and concentrate on the plant and a shorter pull.

#3 Thu, 11/14/2013 - 6:59pm

Patience and time in the boat.

#4 Thu, 11/14/2013 - 7:21pm

155lbs. is a light weight brah. I'm a stand up guy, and I do pretty well placing on the podium locally, and recently over the past few years i've also incorportated OC1 into my training for SUP... thats a different story though

at 5'6" I dont have reach advantage most of the taller guys have, so I obviously have to make it up in cadence. But for the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was taking so much more strokes and working so much harder then the other guys I paddle with who are long time outrigger paddlers. I would count strokes like you! I dont paddle outrigger, and I never have outside of OC1 so there was a lot I didn't know. Long story short, no matter what you think you know... it's more technique then overall fitness. If you got two guys with the same fitness, in the same canoe, the only variable is technique brah. I started focusing on technique, and to this day, somedays I'm faster then those guys I paddle with and others days I'm slower, the bottome line is ever since I gave more attention to technique I'm no longer left behind. Once you have a little more grasp on technique, only then can you up your cadence but not without sacrificing technique. I know I have a lot to learn. It's good to paddle with guys who are faster then you, and who are willing to coach and help, rather then just see you as a newb and/or competition, I think that's priceless.

#5 Tue, 12/10/2013 - 8:28pm

in CA, check the rudder, sea grass..even with a strand or two, guys start going in slo mo

#6 Thu, 12/12/2013 - 6:59pm

Having a small kelp guard (triangle piece of carbon fiber epoxied in front of the rudder) can help with that issue.

#7 Fri, 12/13/2013 - 5:56am

Or just say hell with the rudder all together :)

#8 Fri, 12/13/2013 - 9:59am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.203 seconds.