Seat selection for a V6

My teammates & I are having an interesting discussion in terms of what type of paddler is suitable for each seat (1-5).
Seat 6 most likely would be the best steersperson, but 1-5 is up in the air.

Everyone seems to have an opinion.
What's yours?

note: I glanced through the forums, and I could not find a similar discussion (maybe there is, but I could not find it).

Cheers.

Submitted by canadaAM on Wed, 07/10/2013 - 11:29am

1 & 2 - fittest paddlers with good timing/sycronicity
3 & 4 - strongest/biggest paddlers
5 - strong paddler with quick reflexes, ability to think ahead, steering experience beneficial
6 - steerer, captain of the ship, authoritive, experienced

#1 Wed, 07/10/2013 - 3:26pm

1 - paddling animal with good timing / Or put there the guy's who is always talking, you wil silence him !
2 & 4 - strongest paddlers (the steerer can do whaterver he wants, when those 2 guys are paddling on one side, there are 3 other guys paddling on the other side)
3 - captain, call for changes, being in the middle of the canoe makes sure evryone will hear you.
5 - someone who can assit the steerer if needed.
6 - the guys who will get no reward if you win but will get all the responsibility if you lose.

#2 Wed, 07/10/2013 - 7:50pm

These are interesting. I'd love to hear what others think about these two post or what others strategies are.

#3 Fri, 07/12/2013 - 11:32am

These placements also depend on weight distribution depending on what type of OC6 paddled especially if the steerer is 100kg+. Mirage likes to be front heavy etc.

#4 Fri, 07/12/2013 - 9:32pm

So when buying a 6 should the manufacturer give the buyer an idea of weight disbursement in different conditions?

Please explain the 2, 4 strong paddlers on same side theory.

#5 Sat, 07/13/2013 - 12:05am

@healthyearth i have done many downwind runs where i sat 1 and a strong 2 always felt great but maybe im just a weakling.. i also think possibly 2 and 4 being as strong as 1,3,5 combined would make the boat go straighter and not pull one way more? therefore steersman can do what he wants. This is all
just what im thinking. Ive done alot of good distance runs but i am nowhere near expert of combos and seat assignments.

#6 Sat, 07/13/2013 - 2:47am

Thanks for clearing that up. I get the thinking behind that strategy now.

#7 Sat, 07/13/2013 - 8:32am

Thanks unklekahi, I wasn't clear enough ;)

#8 Sat, 07/13/2013 - 11:08pm

What do you guys think about the weight distribution for 1&2 vs 5&6? Every time we get into small surf it feels as if we get hung up when our back is heavier than front. seems logical to favor front end weight since you want to keep your nose pointed down as much as possible (in surf) right?

what would you guys think is more beneficial for a surfing line up. Engines in 2 & 3,and lighter in 4 & 5? or keeping the power mid boat with a balanced front and back?

having the chance to check out Shell Vaa's Line up was kinda cool,super tall 1 & 3 to match stroke.

I would love to know what club/team you paddle on (Respectfully of course)

We are a club that is learning (trying to learn) to surf.

Aloha,

Christian
Hanalei canoe club

#9 Mon, 07/15/2013 - 12:16pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.890 seconds.