States, Making Regattas More Efficient

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make regattas more efficient?

Are there too many events? Do we really need mixed events for age groups?

Should all the events be shortened, as OHCRA has done?

Submitted by numerouno on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 11:54am

How about no mixed or open 4 at all?

#1 Mon, 07/01/2013 - 3:18pm

I agree with no mixed, but open four is fun to watch. You have good points though. Anybody else?

#2 Mon, 07/01/2013 - 3:31pm

Everyone's said this, but... combine the old folks races. Plenty of lanes, and 65's can high-five each other for beating a 60's crew... and for rankings/points still separate divisions, based on times. Not a huge deal, but comes near the end of the day when every little bit helps :-)

#3 Mon, 07/01/2013 - 11:22pm

@makule, thats a great idea! the only problem would be that there would have to be extra koas to make it happen. I am intrigued...

anyone else have thoughts?

#4 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 11:12am

@numeruno, ok maybe "everyone" hasn't said it... guess I've just said it a million times and been reminded by everyone else about small problem of clubs needing two koas :-D

#5 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 11:46am

Here is a controversial suggestion....

• Open class and above required to use Koa.
  • Novice, teens and under not allowed to use Koa.
  • Races alternate between the two classes of canoe.

While one race is on, the next race is setting up in the safety area of the start line. When last race canoe crosses the line, the next race enters the start line. This would speed up the day dramatically. Most time is spent transferring paddlers to and from canoe and paddling to and from the start/finish lines. With more canoes one race could start shortly after the previous one ends.

This also helps protect the Koas from inexperienced paddlers.

This would also allow clubs to enter multiple teams for the novice races. Novice programs are sometimes large. Only 6 get to race. Those that do not get to race loose interest and quite the sport. We want to give newbies the chance to really experience the racing. It should get more competitive later, not earlier.

#6 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 12:10pm

@swell some of that looks good but just imagine how many boats will be on shore? and if novice gets to enter multiple crews i think the youth should as well.. The youth may actually be more important as these are the only races for them since no long distance. But with doing multiple crews will create heats and regardless of a waiting zone or not regatta will not finish. Id say eliminate all or atleast some of mix races. Keep open 4s. Masters 1/4 mile sprints usually the team in the turn first ends up winning anyways. No fresh,soph,jr,sr just one open division but you can qualify 2 teams. So you have the chance to have 12 open paddlers to race the open(many clubs end up using only 12 paddlers or less for these 4 races anyways). Youth 1/4 mile up to 16? This will shorten race drastically and everyone can enjoy time in sun together after. Not cold and miserable at end of day.

#7 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 12:36pm

@unklekahi & Swell, love those suggestions. I think if we can put our collective minds together a practical solution will inevitably arise. I think both of your suggestions are great. Do we really need mixed events?

#8 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 12:41pm

I understand why they had open 4 in the past, but i really think that it is a pointless race. FOUR people, in a SIX-man canoe...sure bragging rights and whatever, but come on.

#9 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 12:58pm

how about open 2? hahaha

#10 Tue, 07/02/2013 - 3:12pm

true open 4 in a 6man doesnt need to happen.. but lets be honest open 4 is a largely watched race. Especially at states and with ohcra and state rules(not sure what rules outer islands use) you can only race open4 and thats it. So its interesting to see what clubs do. Do they stack open 4 and weaken their open division? Some clubs are loaded with strong paddlers so they no need worry. But a lot of times you see a crew in their that normally hasnt been put together and its interesting to see how the turn out is.

#11 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:58am

I am all for speeding up the day, but I am baffled by the concept that by making some events 1/4 mile instead of 1/2 mile would speed things up... they still need to paddle down to the start line, which is often further away than the 1/2 mile start... so in some cases I think that 1/4 mile races actually take longer than 1/2 mile. Just sayin'...

As for mixed races, I have always enjoyed mixed open, but it does seem that there are too many mixed races. Even getting rid of a few of them could make a difference.

#12 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 3:13pm

The problem is the associations are trying to please too many people and conerned about participation instead of competition. Right now there Keiki races, Novice Races, Open races, and many Master races along with Open 4 and Mixed races. When open 4, mixed, and master divisions were added years ago it was for the paddlers who, according to the rules then could never move back down for any reason once they had moved up. With the new rules these divisions have outlived their original reason. Simply look at a lane drawing sheet and it is apparent that many smaller clubs chose to compete in special events trather than fill the upper division ones. The Upper division races should be premium blue ribbon events like the old days. As long as the clubs are torn between competition or family/participation concepts we will never fix the broken Regatta system

#13 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 6:21pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.192 seconds.