Storing OC-1 in small garage, solutions?

Garage is about 1', or so, too short for the OC-1. Means, I need to hang the canoe on the wall at an angle. I'm thinking one of those pipe things sticking out, cover with foam, staggered, then strap the canoe face down, so it doesn't slip and slide...?? No? Yeah? What do you think? Anyone have ideas or solutions to this? (Apartment living, gotta make it work!)

Submitted by dcha on Sun, 11/10/2013 - 10:43pm

1 or 2 car garage? Auto doors?

#1 Tue, 11/12/2013 - 1:25am

Priority List:
1. V1
2. House

#2 Mon, 11/25/2013 - 11:31am

That is just so awesome.

#3 Mon, 11/25/2013 - 12:08pm

@kaya, finally! Someone with their priorities straight!

#4 Mon, 11/25/2013 - 2:13pm

Hahaha what a champ

#5 Tue, 11/26/2013 - 10:11am

Thats great!

#6 Tue, 11/26/2013 - 1:26pm

Nice . You might as well clean it up and put a "window". Frame it.

#7 Tue, 11/26/2013 - 7:33pm

KAYA - Ha! That's awesome! Love it. BLACK - Been away from this post for a bit, some changes - it "was" a 1-car garage. Now it's my living room ceiling, for now. Thinking a floor flange and some pipe from the ceiling??

#8 Wed, 11/27/2013 - 2:19pm

could put a doggie door on the opening...

#9 Wed, 11/27/2013 - 7:23pm

I asked about the size because if its a two car you can use a pulley system to hang the boat. Just angle it to fit. I bought a bike pulley from Home Depot. Works perfect.

#10 Sun, 12/01/2013 - 11:18am

BLACK-- I have the same garage situation and cars park outside the garage with 2 OC-1s inside along with other stuff. Send a few pics of the pulley system you used and if you can also include the 411 on how you load/raise up the OC. One side at a time or both ends of the OC at the same time... to get the OC high enough to park cars inside the garage. Anyone else have ideas for storing 2 OC-1s in the garage?

Mahalo

(for 2 car garage with automatic garage door)

#11 Mon, 05/12/2014 - 9:18am

Here in iceberg alley I had to cut a hole in the wall of my last house to store my OC-1. I moved because I wanted more OC-1 storage space. Now it hangs right above where the snowblower parks. You set your priorities and get on with it. I'm still wishing I could grow coconuts here though...hardly a chance with freezing rain in May...

#12 Tue, 05/13/2014 - 7:56am

How I wish I had the opportunity to just move into a new home to fit my OC-1, SUP, etc. Unfortunately just can't afford to do so now.

Enclosed garages in Hawaii are just to small unless made to custom size. My garage is constructed with 3 walls of cement blocks. Cutting a hole through the automatic garage door means I can't open the door with the OC-1 in place. Thought of moving to Iceberg alley like Bob to solve my prob... but decided to stay in Hawaii and grow coconuts and papayas and paddle my OC-1. Guess I'm screwed. Thanks for the suggestion though. Considered other outside storage options but just need to keep things secured in the garage.

#13 Tue, 05/13/2014 - 8:42am

Ok I'll try and post pics when I can. Is your garage open beam ceiling? Drop ceiling? Home Depot sells the bike pulley system I use. Canoe has to go in an angle. I Could put a 2nd canoe but I would give up storage space for all my stuff.

#14 Wed, 05/14/2014 - 8:08am

finished ceiling garage with no open beams and garage door opener right down the center of the ceiling

#15 Wed, 05/14/2014 - 8:51am

I keep a 21' surf ski, 21' OC-1, and 24' OC-2 in a 20'8"x 20'8" garage. I placed large screw-eyes in the ceiling with loops of parachute cord hanging from the screw-eyes to hold the OC's. The boats are side-by-side, and angled across the garage. The stern loops are near the front of the garage, off to the side just past the garage door rail. The bow loops are in the ceiling about midway across the other bay and behind the aft-most position of the garage door opener.

The ski is angled on one wall of the garage, with the stern on top of a tall shelf and out a bit from the wall, while the bow is tucked into the opposite corner; a wall-mounted kayak cradle (originally for shorter boats) supports the forward end of the ski.

With this arrangement the boats are out of the way, but fairly easy to access.

#16 Thu, 05/15/2014 - 9:51am

all good ideas. then just start getting rid of stuff. more room for toys that way. i secretly throw away things that I or my wife can't bear to part with about once a month. mostly I target things that haven't moved for 6 months or more. so far i've never run out of things to toss, recycle, or donate to goodwill.

go figure.

EDIT: and no one has ever noticed the missing stuff.

#17 Thu, 05/15/2014 - 11:09am

Below are links to some pretty good examples of how to setup a pulley system for a garage. Might help in forming your own ideas on how to setup yours and what you may need. I know they show river canoes and plastic kayaks, but use your imagination in how you can apply it to an OC-1.

http://www.codabone.net/canoeing/canoes/garage.htm

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php/260028-Kayak-ceiling-stora...

If anything, do a Google Image Search for "canoe storage racks for garage ceiling" and you should see many more pictures on similar ideas.

#18 Thu, 05/15/2014 - 12:00pm

Yup lots of ideas. Big mahalos. Got enough ideas now to figure out what will work best. Thanks everyone. Always best to ask guys who've got some ideas before poking holes in the garage. If things work out I'll post pics.

#19 Thu, 05/15/2014 - 2:09pm

Final solution bought this used pipe rack 72" tall 48" wide 48" length. Perfect for cockpit width/length. Solid and cheap too cause the seller made it himself. Thanks for all suggestions but decided that hanging from the ceiling was awkward due to garage dimensions. Actually rack can hold two OC-1s on top and 2 on second rack plus amas, etc below.

#20 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 9:58pm

Good to hear you found your solution to storing your two OC1's in the garage.

Had a similar thought of suggesting a floor mounted rack tall enough to store them high and out of the way, but you sounded more into the pulley system.

Just need some padding on those bars. Easy to buy those pool/beach noodles with the bigger hole in the center to pad them.

#21 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 3:25am

It's not cheap, but Harken's 2-point hoist is well made. At one point we had four of these mounted on our (oversized) garage ceiling.
http://www.hoister.com/productdetail.aspx?id=6150&taxid=645

#22 Sun, 05/25/2014 - 8:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.