Team Kanaka Ikaika

Hope to get updates by people in the know for the Tahiti Nui Vaa 2013.
I would love to rally as much support for the Kanaka Guys as possible, they deserve it! also i think updates would be lots of fun.
Just speaking for my self, but I am really rooting for our guys!

Maybe some inside info would be cool...
What canoe design you guys chose?
-Crew set up per leg
-Race conditions per leg
-Placing per leg

Anything to keep us all checking OCpadller.com every 5 mins.

Of course if they rather be incognito then ill just wait to see the results and try to make an educated estimate on how things went down.

"I hope to avoid the latter"

Keep up the fun

Aloha

Submitted by kauaisurf85 on Wed, 05/22/2013 - 9:04am

Awesome video. I watched the dance scenes numerous times. Best one was at the 9:17 mark. Perfect ending to a great video.

Is there anything learned from Manutea that can be shared?

I see when he pokes he pokes way behind himself with his body facing the direction he's poking, anything to that?

Was there a difference at all when Manu was steering then when Kekoa was steering? In the video there is a long scene with Kekoa (I guessing, I know it's not Manu) and the steersmen looks just as fluid and nsync (I had to use nsync because of the dance video I just watched) with the other 5 paddlers as Manu did? If there was not much difference then that would be strong evidence that the theory PeowPeow reports on is more biased based that evidence based.

Peel out

#71 Tue, 06/04/2013 - 12:35pm

Makana,

Thank you. This video is inspiring and exhilarating. Jim Foti successfully compiled a group of committed young men who -- for a few days in the month May -- conspired to do something extraordinary. Anyone who has tried their hand at coaching knows this is a non-trivial accomplishment. Our outrigger community is very proud of you fellas.

The non-paddling moments you eloquently capture provide proof positive that a perfect cast represented Hawai'i in this years Tahiti Nui Va'a. I personally am convinced that your best paddling, collectively, lies in your future. We can't wait to see what you guys tackle next.

Thank you for sharing your story from your minds eye. And of course, congratulations!

Kindest aloha,

Josh Crayton
(from California)

#72 Wed, 06/05/2013 - 9:22am

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the video. I always enjoyed watching other peoples paddling videos, so I'll try and keep putting more together

healthyearth, I paddled in day 2 with Manutea steering, and day 3 with Kekoa steering. From what I took in, both crews during each day had pieces where they made ground, held ground, or lost a little ground. Manutea obviously has an amazing feel for the ocean, local knowledge, and previous experience with the canoe, but it never seemed like it was a major game of catch up and fall back between our two crews. Yes, that was Kekoa during that long scene you were referring to. Kekoa is an extremely talented steersman, and I thought he did an incredible job.

Josh you are absolutely right about Jim. I can't imagine trying to organize the logistics for a crew of 15 paddlers competing in a 3 day race going completely around a French speaking island. Not only that, but taking himself out of the paddling roster for the benefit of the crew. Jim did a killer job during this trip, it was really impressive seeing how smoothly everything worked out. Like Will said earlier, this really was a trip of a lifetime, and thats all thanks to Jim for putting it together.

#73 Sat, 06/08/2013 - 7:48pm

Thanks Makana, that is great info and just awesome to know that. It's good to get that message out there.

#74 Sun, 06/09/2013 - 10:04am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.191 seconds.