Teva I Tai V-1

Teva I Tai-

Anyone try Tigers V-1? Looks like a great design, I wonder what Philipe and Tiger based it off of? Cool to see more click and go iako and ama set ups.

Submitted by kauaisurf85 on Fri, 11/15/2013 - 11:17am

my experience is limited to mostly an Aukahi, a few hours on a Bernardino and a Fai 3, even less on an Ah Mihn. to me, because i spent the most time in it, i like the Aukahi. the Tahitian boats i could never quite get my rigging dialed in. it could be a function of fitness or age or whatever. but to get the same speed on a Tahitian boat i have to work harder (from what i saw on my GPS/HR monitor.)

i've talked to a couple guys who have the tiger boat or have tried one. the consensus is they like it. one of them, who's opinion i value highly cause he's damn fast elite paddler had this analysis. "If you're going to paddle in Hawai‘i with a rudderless get the Aukahi. it's looser (which can be a hinderance in the flats) but is great for maneuvering in the surf, takes on less water, and is built for Hawai‘i like conditions. If you're only gonna train on the flats with less wind and want to paddle a boat that handles like a Tahitian canoe get the Teva I Tai. It's the best 'Tahitian Shape' V1 made in Hawai‘i." His words, not mine, he's paddled both and had that theory.

me, being a nearly 40 year old weekend warrior father of two and a strictly average paddler, i go with the Aukahi but only because i like it best of the Va'a i've tried. these days with two kids not yet in school and a mortgage to pay i need all the fun i can get.

EDIT: the elite paddler i mention doesn't make or work for the makers of the Aukahi. just thought i'd mention that before someone asks. Sorry I didn't have much of an answer for you about Tiger's boat... from what everyone says Tiger's build quality is and always has been top notch.

#1 Sat, 11/16/2013 - 8:39am

Hear, hear!

There is something real special about the Aukahi. I have tried other v1's but nothing worked for me like the Aukahi did, not only performance wise but in nuance and character. Hats off to the innovators behind it's design.

#2 Mon, 11/18/2013 - 7:52pm

this could be another option. i read that Hoetoa is bringing a canoe for testing in Hawai‘i and may start building here too. Phillipe also had some input on this one.

http://hoetoa.com/

#3 Sun, 11/24/2013 - 2:22pm

I have a Teva I Tai and I love it. Also not an elite paddler but have a blast on this tahitian design. Several of my friends have tried it, loved it and bought it. They just are not forum folks.

#4 Sun, 12/01/2013 - 9:28pm

k

Thanks for the link jc9_0! We are trying to get one Manini to Hawaii for us to ride, test and to see what people think (pic attached, the green on ama is masking tape). The Manini was developed in NZ and had guys from Team Pineula test it, and one of the international testers was Wilfred Ah-min (Coach of Paddling Connection and constructeur Ah-Min va'a, there are a bunch of his white va'a on Oahu and Maui). Thanks again Jc9_0!

kingi@hoetoa.com
HOE TOA LTD

#5 Sat, 12/21/2013 - 9:18am

Cool pics and story of hoetoa! maybe oneday we can try one manini on Kauai!

Any info on Odies V1? heard it was in the works for a while now.

#6 Sat, 12/21/2013 - 11:19pm

Tiger, Pure Canoes, Kamanu, and maybe Hoe Toa? looks like there could almost be more brands of V1 built in Hawai‘i than OC1. that's something I never thought anyone could say.

#7 Tue, 12/24/2013 - 2:04pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.188 seconds.