Transporting OC-1 long distance

OK, I found my OC-1, yayy!! It's far far away, but that's what I get for living in Texas. So I am going to the Coast to go get it! I was looking at a hitch-type goal-post contraption, but also considering the Thule Xsporter. Can anyone offer advice on (1) which one (2) what to look make sure I do, etc. I leave tomorrow, probably need to decide on the rack before I get there, huh? =:D

The longest distance I took an OC-1 on top of my little tiny car was from Lihue to Kealia (Kauai). This will be about a 1500 mile trip back. And also, should I be seriously worried about thunderstorms. I'm thinking, yes, right?

Mahalos, in advance!

Submitted by dcha on Thu, 10/03/2013 - 7:41am

If you have a rack on your car, this is the best cradle assembly for carrying long boats: http://goodboykayaks.com/

#1 Thu, 10/03/2013 - 6:07pm

Burnham Boat Slings. Better than goodboy cause the slings conform to your hull. I've carried OC1, OC2, and skis at well over 100mph using these. Nothing better at any price.

#2 Fri, 10/04/2013 - 2:16am

I've got the Thule X-Sporter on my Tundra and it is the best way to carry canoes in my opinion. Super strong, and you'll never have to worry about wind blowing the canoe and ripping out the stock roof rack.

#3 Fri, 10/04/2013 - 5:09am

Another thumbs up for the Boatslings. Emailed back and forth with Jibofo a few times when I was figuring out my transportation system. Got mine, and recommended it to 4-5 other people here in SoCal. We've all been happy with them. They're especially nice for those with smaller cars, where the roof rack bars tend to be close together.

I've only had mine up to 80mph, but no worries. A friend of mine has carried 2 canoes from SoCal to Arizona on her small car with no issues at all.

#4 Mon, 10/14/2013 - 7:40am

Burnham Boat Sling. I can't say how fast I go, but I got ticketed doing a 800+ mile roundtrip to a race last weekend.

One added feature is the stock Nissan Xterra rack bars are extra large and BBS will give you u-bolts to make their racks work.

#5 Wed, 10/16/2013 - 10:04am

I use the xsporter and it works great, very secure. I would stay away from hitch type goal post rack...too much wiggle for me to feel safe transporting a canoe long distances at high speeds.

#6 Thu, 10/17/2013 - 7:23pm

This is great info! I'm getting a new car, I like the rack I have but might look at different options for the new ride...checked out the Burnham Boat Sling...interesting : )
D.

#7 Wed, 10/23/2013 - 6:03pm

I also use the boat slings and have never had a problem. If you purchase them get the slings and the mounts from Burnham check with your local metal supplier for the aluminum channel. Locally I could purchase the bar for less than the shipping costs to California.

#8 Thu, 10/24/2013 - 7:10am

Aiken11...

Thay have a narrow and wide cradle option? What will work best for an OC1?

Thanks

#9 Thu, 10/24/2013 - 4:14pm

I've tried a million rack combos. The xsporter is great if you have a pickup but it also can get in the way when you aren't carrying a canoe. I've found the best canoe carrying option is to permanently fit a front Thule roof rack which you can slide cradles in and out of. Then assuming you have a tow bar, fit a slide in Thule post and into this you can slide in your rear bar. Best thing about this is that you can slide 3 or 4 sets of cradles into the front and back, it works the same on a pickup or normal sedan, and it also gives you great spacing between the centres. If you like I can post a picture of it. Trevor.

#10 Fri, 10/25/2013 - 1:10am

I use the narrow cradles and they have plenty of clearance for an OC1.

#11 Fri, 10/25/2013 - 5:36am

I've had no problems with the xsporter getting in the way. It's a good solid mounting system and u don't have to worry about it coming loose. I just use foam surf pads on the bars and load the canoe hull side up. Also works great for hauling lumber or irrigation pipe.

#12 Fri, 10/25/2013 - 5:33pm

Wow, this is great! Thanks everyone!! I ended up getting a Yakima Outdoorsman, for now that was what was quickly available in the circumstance I was in (other option bailed last minute and I kinda needed to get the canoe back home). Over 2000 miles later, I'm overall pleased with it, but I am still looking for another solution so I will check out these slings. Still got my eye on the Xsporter, but just open to the best option. Lately, I tend to drive super slow and I am super nervous since I can see the nose jiggling above my windshield. I mean, I have four straps on it - two around the hull to the rack, and two ratchet straps around the hull, around the rack, and to the truck. But besides the jiggling that makes me nervous, it also takes 20 minutes to unstrap, and another 20-30 to re-strap. Not like I am in a rush, at that point I am super chill from a good paddle, but I can see how 5-10 minutes might be better. No?

#13 Sat, 10/26/2013 - 7:08am

If you're transporting on a truck there's always some wiggle. Especially with newer trucks since the bed vibrates and shakes independently of the cab it looks like the boat is loose. You could have 20 straps on your canoe and there's always vibration.

#14 Sat, 10/26/2013 - 12:39pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.212 seconds.