The turn

The turn in regattas seem to be a point of discussion in our club. The roles of each member of the boat seem to be different and what they are to be doing seem to be different depending on who I talk with. One and two are both hitting their Uni and kahai (sp) at the same time. Now how they do this and what they do after seem to vary. Some say they should just hold these until the steersman yells, "out" or "over". Others say as the water releases they should pull water under the boat, start paddling out, etc. So what are your thoughts on one and two and what they should be doing once the water begins to release.

Three, four, and five, sit up drive hard and slow? Or sit up and relax, keeping time but gently touching water?

Just wondering as we have progressed to 1 mile this year in Novice A the turns are more of a key then ever. Also coming out of the turns, would you treat this like a whole new start?

Any feed back is always appreciated.

Joel

Submitted by joelmkrause on Wed, 05/22/2013 - 8:22am

What we were taught:

Seat 1: Uni
Seat 2: Will post on the left side until halfway around the turn or so.

On the Kahi, seat 1 and 2 will pull the front of the canoe almost around the rest of the turn. I say "almost" because when the steersman yells "out" or "imua" or whatever they like to yell to dig out, the canoe will still have rotational momentum and will complete the rest of the turn on its own.

Seat 3: paddling at a 45 degree angle on the left side

Seat 4: weight on the ama to create a pivot point

Seat 5: Kahi on the right

Disclaimer: This is only what I was taught, and could be wrong about some of these. Hope this helps!

#1 Wed, 05/22/2013 - 1:57pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.153 seconds.