Varnish brands/models for V-6 `iako

When refinishing the wooden `iako of a V-6, how much does the brand/model of varnish matter in terms of durability under sunlight/UV exposure (in terms of how long the varnish lasts before needing refinishing)?

I.e. is the varnish at the boat shop (Sikkens, Petit Flagship, Epifanes) significantly more durable than the varnish at the hardware store (Man O' War, Varathane, Minwax)? The brands/models of varnish at the boat shop are significantly more expensive, but would be worth it if they actually do last longer between refinishing.

Submitted by tjl on Sat, 09/21/2013 - 12:08pm

tjl, I have refinished several iako in very bad condition. After making sure the iako was very dry and a good sanding I used two to three coats of clear aluzine epoxy from Fiberglass Hawaii. It seals the wood nicely. I then lightly sanded the iako and put 3 coats of ManOWar marine varnish mixed with a little thinner so it flows smoother. Lasted for over 2 years of being left in the Hawaiian sun and regular use.

#1 Sun, 09/22/2013 - 12:03pm

You mean this (out of several choices of epoxy they offer)?

http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/resins/resins-epoxy/resins-epoxy3.html

About how much of it is needed per coat on a set of `iako?

Thanks.

#2 Sun, 09/22/2013 - 6:35pm

Yes that's it. The smallest kit (1qt) should be more than enough. I use those cheap paint brushs. I put down a thin coat then let it dry for a day before I lightly hand sand it smooth trying not to take off the epoxy and exposing the wood. Then put on another thin coat. While that coat is tacky and no longer lifts when you touch it, you can put on your last coat. The next day lightly sand and wipe down with paint thinner. Ready for varnishing. When varnishing I use the foam brushes. Makes a nice finish. Aloha

#3 Mon, 09/23/2013 - 9:32am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.177 seconds.