Waikoloa Race - what is the distance?

Our team is thinking about the entering the Waikoloa race prior to the Queen Lili'uokalani race. I can't seem to find any information on the distance of the Waikoloa. It would be helpful to know how far we would need to paddle to decide whether we're up for it or whether we need to stay rested for the Queen Lili'uokalani race.

Submitted by ho'okele on Wed, 04/03/2013 - 3:51pm

It's a fun silly race with lemans start and chaos at the point. After that settles down you've got about 8 to 10 miles, usually pretty flat but real pretty and the food on the beach is good fun. Lots of people in town early come race it.

#1 Wed, 04/03/2013 - 9:57pm

Thanks McDaniel! 8-10 miles then. I think we can handle that distance a few days before the Queen Liliuokalani. Although I did read that conditions were very rough last year. Any idea, aproximately, of how many boats in the womens division?

#2 Thu, 04/04/2013 - 4:31am

FYI - If you are looking to do Men?s race, pack a canvas. The race tends to go more into head/side wind than down wind. Tell your steermans to start stretching his left hip and hamstrings now. Site, music and food usually balances out the race course.

#3 Thu, 04/04/2013 - 10:26am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.299 seconds.