what makes for a good OC1 seat?

I have been contemplating buying my own OC1. So far I have only paddled a club C-Lion and a friend's Hurricane. Both boats seem to offer rather uncomfortable seating especially when the boat is paddled for more than an hour at a time. As well, both these one person outrigger canoes seem to use a similar dense foam pad for a seat.

So, what is it about that foam that makes it so uncomfortable over time? And, what other options are there for seat pads? Are there certain makes of OC1 that, in your experience, offer comfortable seats or are they all a little hard on the toosh after a while?

Submitted by ho'okele on Sat, 05/18/2013 - 6:48pm

Hummm....looks like this is not a very appealing discussion topic. I haven't found much info on seats when I did a search in the archives of the forum, either. So, generally speaking, I'm guessing that you guys have not problem keeping your tushy comfy when paddling the OC1? In that case, I guess its just up to me to 'toughen up'!

#1 Tue, 05/21/2013 - 6:47am

Once you get into an OC1 that fits you, I think you'll have much better luck with the seat situation. I had a c-lion and really liked the position that I would sit in while paddling it, and on the other hand, I've paddled an older Hurricane and had a miserable time with the seat.

I really think that finding the proper OC1 for your particular size and paddling type will help resolve this problem.

#2 Tue, 05/21/2013 - 9:09am

Thanks for your reply, Kileki.

I agree that a suitable fit in an OC1 is important. C-Lions are our club boats and the first, and almost only, OC1 I have paddled. I was directed towards the Hurricane as a good fit for someone of my size, 5'4" - 130 lbs, and with our Vancouver water conditions - no surf to speak of.

The friend's Hurricane that I took for a test paddle is in fact an older model so perhaps that's why the seat was so uncomfortable. I've seen another paddler in our club who puts a Kialoa seat pad on top of his Hurricane seat which could be a simple solution if I was to buy a used older model Hurricane.

#3 Tue, 05/21/2013 - 10:28am

Might be getting on a bit ( like me) but always good Info from the past in Rambos Locker
Seat modification.
http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2007/03/about-my-single-outrigger-cano...

#4 Tue, 05/21/2013 - 11:35am

Very helpful Rambo! Thanks for commenting and for the link to your blog...that seat mode looks like a good idea!

#5 Tue, 05/21/2013 - 12:12pm

Kai Wa'a offers an aftermarket seat for the Hurricane which is quite comfortable. It velcros straight down to the deck and has a more locked in feel while paddling.

#6 Thu, 05/23/2013 - 7:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.151 seconds.