Change Hurricane OC1 steering cable

Hi guys,

I have a Hurricane OC1 the steering cable of which needs changing. The whole steering system is stretched and old and it wouldn't turn steer properly to the left. So I bought a new set, and searched for documentation. I did find one, but got stuck because I didn't find it as easy to do as I assumed.

So I'd be direct in asking a rather insipid question: how do you take out the plastic tiller from the rudder/cable section using a 2.5 allen key?

I have the documentation on how to change a Hurricane's steering cable (see attached), but I can't even get past Step #2, which is "Remove the plastic tiller are using a 2.5mm allen key. Cut the old cable at the rudder end as close to the plastic tiller arm as possible."

My Hurricane is the 2007 model, I think, the model which does NOT have the drain hole at the tip of the tail.

Hope to hear from you soon. Or better yet, if anyone has found a link to a video on how to do the whole thing, it would be much better. Thanks!

AttachmentSize
Hurricane cabling1.pdf177.83 KB

Submitted by freakofeet on Tue, 10/07/2014 - 4:44pm

HI I can't find any pictures of the Hurricane tiller. Could you snap a picture of the tiller area? The only thing i can see from online pictures is there a couple of allen screws to remove to expose the tiller. Hopefully someone with brains will chime in. Oh, and is your new cable set steel or spectra? Steel cables should just push through. I've been able to push through the spectra also, but f you have cables in there, go to an electronics store and pick up some heat shrink tubing just big enough to slip onto the cable, then shrink the new and old cable together with about 4 inches of heatshrink. I found it fits through the tube better than any knot i could come up with.

#1 Tue, 10/07/2014 - 8:46pm

Inside of the slot on the tiller bar (if it's the version2 plastic one) you should see a little screw protruding. There's an allen head opening on the end of that screw closest to the cable. Stick the short side of the allen key in there and unscrew it until you can lift the tiller bar off of the rudder shaft. I will try to add a photo. I hope this helps...

Cat

#2 Wed, 10/08/2014 - 9:27am

Awesome blog! The topic is perfectly written and clearly been using the simple strategies. Thanks much
Brad Pitt Fight Club Leather Jacket On Amazon

#3 Tue, 01/20/2015 - 6:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.