China built OC1

With all these OC1 being built in china now shouldnt they be cheaper to buy? How can I find out what China companies are building boats?

Submitted by ssaldua on Wed, 08/20/2014 - 5:59am

Google Ozone canoes - they make several OC1's (Hurricane, Scorpius, Ehukai, Storm), OC2 (Tempest) and 2 unlimited OC6 canoes.

#1 Wed, 08/20/2014 - 9:45am

The quality I've seen in excellent, and they seem really light. They have a system where they are built single-piece - not two pieces glued together (hence the seam). I'd buy one off the shelf if I wanted one rather than wait for months to get a custom-ordered one - but then I'm just in it for the fun.

Hope that helps!

Aloha!

#2 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 12:05pm

The China built Ozone Hurricanes that we bought earlier this year were indeed light but the boats suffered from very fragile paint. Didn't take much at all for the paint to flake off the boat.

Customer service from the Ozone rep was really good but still, it seems that in an effort to keep the boats light and also, perhaps to lack of experience with methods of applying paint, the finish on these boats is a weak point in their manufacturing.

#3 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 3:44pm

I believe the Ozone paint issues have been fixed. I think they should offer you a deal on a trade-in to get a new boat with paint that doesn't flake off.

#4 Wed, 08/27/2014 - 10:29am

I just bought my buddies China built Scropius XM and really like it. It's not the current 'no seam' but sure it light and nice. Just thought I would add to this thread.

#5 Thu, 02/26/2015 - 7:46am

Only 2-pack paint will do.

#6 Thu, 02/26/2015 - 2:22pm

Here's a link to the differences. Also the boats for the most part are significantly cheaper, come with covers, and are built a lot tougher structurally. The new paint doesn't seem to be an issue.
http://outriggerzone.com/product-insights/custom-hawaiian-built-canoe-oz...

#7 Thu, 02/26/2015 - 4:04pm

Nothing like supporting local boat builders. Buy more in China, makes absolute sense. Eventually the "builders" will not even know what they are designing boats for.

#8 Thu, 02/26/2015 - 6:51pm

While it's sometime disheartening to see the decline of local manufacturing, the technology advances and economies of scale with overseas production have spread the enjoyment of outrigger canoeing worldwide.

Last time I checked, every outrigger canoe being built in China was a DESIGN from the brilliant mind of someone from the islands.

#9 Mon, 03/02/2015 - 10:36am

Again with the price so high for USA built boats some have to turn to what they can afford. New HUki V1X in excess of 5K Hurricane about 3.5K Then through in the price of a new paddle at 250. to 300. and you are close to 6k for American boat. Don't get me wrong I own two V1x Huki's and love them but I bought used. And I am looking for another used boat for my disabled brother. Vet living off Social Security.

#10 Tue, 03/17/2015 - 4:24pm

I am having a real problem with people that put ads in the web but do not follow up the people that are interested.

#11 Tue, 03/17/2015 - 4:25pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.238 seconds.