Comparing Kialoa Paddles

Just wondering if people could share their comparisons of two different Kialoa paddles. I'm looking to replace a trusted old (but now broken) Dave's Hybrid. The two I'm looking at are the Axel II or the Nehu single bend.

I often paddle in an OC-6 behind two guys using Zaveral's, and we paddle at a fairly high stroke rate - which means the Lanakai might be too much paddle surface. I've tried a Zaveral for about an hour of paddling, and couldn't get used to it.

The paddle has to be useable in both big boat and OC-1.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Don M
Penticton, Canada

Submitted by kahuna on Sun, 04/20/2014 - 9:16am

Get the Nehu in double bend. It's only 3 square inches in surface area more than the Axel II. It's also 1.5 inches longer blade which means easier to reach than bend forward.
That's more canoe to pull through the water.
Why get the smallest blade just to move the paddle through water ?
I paddle with the Teva Hoe and seat 5 as the crew paddles smaller blades like the Axel II. I can keep up with the fast pace because I change my stroke technique so, I'm not needing to bend or twist so much and use more body and legs than arms which allows me power the canoe better.
The bigger blade will move your canoe because it's planted firm in the water. That's the whole idea, move the canoe not the water.
Good luck and happy paddling!

#1 Sun, 04/20/2014 - 4:55pm

Viper Va'a...enough said,.

#2 Sun, 04/20/2014 - 5:53pm

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but the Hoku is a fantastic paddle for OC-1. It's probably worth owning one exclusively for OC-1 and something else for OC-6.

I second the Nehu double bend as a really good OC-6 paddle.

#3 Sun, 04/20/2014 - 8:34pm

If I were picking between the Axel 2 and Nehu SB, I'd pick the Nehu.

Blade construction is different so the Nehu is thinner, lighter, and has more functional details. As pointed out above, it also has a slightly larger surface area, and is longer. Both of those things can lead to a little easier catch.

I actually prefer the higher degree blade angle of the single-bend Nehu over the DB.

#4 Mon, 04/21/2014 - 3:44am

Luke, how is the flex in the Hoku being that it's an all-carbon paddle?

#5 Mon, 04/21/2014 - 11:30am

I was paddling the Axel II for years, then a bunch of the guys I paddle with were getting Nehu DB's, so I got the Nehu DB for my OC1. I'd never had a DB before, but I love it. Bought another, 1" longer, for OC6 - like it for that, too. I got one for my wife, and she really likes her's, as well. There are lots of good paddles out there, but the Nehu DB works good for me. Quick, clean catch, good power.

#6 Mon, 04/21/2014 - 7:04pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.174 seconds.