German engineering going horribly wrong!

Yes, there it is, a 6 man with a rudder. Who needs Steersman anyway.
http://www.willyneumann.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

Submitted by painteur on Fri, 04/18/2014 - 9:45am

Can you imagine how much faster the Kamanu oc-6 would be if it had a rudder?

#1 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 10:19am

"Das Vaa"

Well there are a couple take aways from this.

I like the deck cap for Hawaiian canoes. We are going to make one for our Lightning.
Truthfully, I dont really care what it looks like or how a rudder will slow the evolution of steersmen in emerging outrigger cultures. Its awsome to see more outrigger waa, anywhere outside of the norm.

It is a great thing to see Germans doing it up there style.

I say go for it Germany, You guys are finding a happy place in your outrigger. Now get the Olympians in it and kick some butt.

"Das Vaa"

#2 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 10:22am

Iakos look a bit short on the oc6 .. Hehe, I don't think they need that much stability.

#3 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 3:39pm

I just found out that the chief designer is working on a 60 cm keel for ocean paddling. No joke!

#4 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 12:44pm

I made a ruddered, sit on top style OC-4 late last fall. My idea was to see if a 6 person canoe could be made in that style, but wanted to start with a 4 first. It turns out we're about as fast in the 4 man as we are with an equivalent crew in our standard 400 lb Bradley, but it surfs way better.

This is one of our first downwind paddles last fall (hopefully this link will work)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202172808305452&l=226616268399429...

#5 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 1:16pm

we got one of those german oc6's and added a mod so that coach can steer via remote control from chase boat. really fast on the open water that way, especially with latest mod that swapped out the paddles for propeller

#6 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 2:03pm

@ Salty Dog
Yes, I have seen one of those. And you know what ? There is an OC1 type of that as well.Have a look:
http://1698943.sites.myregisteredsite.com/id9.html
On the other hand, come on boys, it is not a car. Wait just a little while and Made in Germany Outriggers are going to be a runner...

#7 Sun, 04/20/2014 - 10:09am

great to see another country getting into it. Helps the sport grow. Constant refinements- some work, some don't.

#8 Mon, 04/21/2014 - 10:13am

At least they are trying.
I'm concerned though with the clumsiness of that rudder. Looks like a barge's one.
Lots of drag, not very effective, and a pain to steer. They could just put a nice rudder while they're at it.
A long, slim and slightly compensated one, just like any good OC1 on the market.

#9 Wed, 04/23/2014 - 2:44am

Just saw painteur's post about an ocean keel. That makes sense. Further step ahead being to get rid of the ama with some lead in the keel.
Then you'll have a seaworthy monohull, very steady. But reaaally hard to push.
I'm guessing a sail could do better. So let's get rid of the paddlers too.

Just kidding of course. I actually think the ability to glide on shallow waters and launch from the beach is the major perk in canoes in general, and outrigger canoes in particular.
I'm even pissed off sometimes by the little inconvenience that is my OC1 rudder, protruding 15 cm under my hull !

#10 Wed, 04/23/2014 - 4:32am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.205 seconds.