Help.. I need a replacement Rudder

I need this forums expert help. I have an OC1 that I need to find a replacement Fin unit. First I need to find out what kind of OC1 I have it’s been painted over and I can’t find any pictures on the web that says what it is. Next I need to find where I can buy a new Fin / Rudder system.
Here is a link to the pictures of the OC1

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzq9wGQiwjWLRmJHN2ZqaDV0SW8&usp=...

Thanks in advance,
Dbl E

AttachmentSize
OC1_Pix001.jpg125.87 KB
20130901_100335.jpg17.83 KB

Submitted by Double E on Tue, 09/02/2014 - 9:11am

Looks like either a Gator or Viper made by Outrigger Connection. Both were similar with the Gator having less rocker for flat water use.

Contact the shop on Oahu to find out more information.

Outrigger Connection Hawaii
Phone: (808)261-8424
email: canoes@outriggerconnectionhawaii.com

If you can measure the length of rudder shaft, they should be able to find the right rudder replacement or make a new one for it. If anything you might be able to send it to them and they can either repair it or make a new one with the existing shaft.

#1 Tue, 09/02/2014 - 12:17pm

to my non expert eyes it looks to me like the rudder should be fixable. probably cheaper than new...

#2 Tue, 09/02/2014 - 1:00pm

Thanks You guys! Now hypothetically lets say that I go about in fixing this myself how do I go about this? Eg. type of material to use, Process, what to be aware of, YouTube Videos etc... I'm a handy guy but I haven't have any experience with resin or fiberglass, but I'm willing to try.
I appreciate any help... Thanks!!

#3 Wed, 09/03/2014 - 10:59am

What I did to a similar repair was to Take a Dremel tool and cut along the crack. Lift the broken fiberglass and see what the pin was secured to and how secure it was. In my case it was just foam so I dug out around the pin and filled it with epoxy resin and pressed it back together. After the epoxy dried I chamfered the crack, to about an inch wide, drilled a tiny hole at the end of the crack, just as deep as the fiberglass and repaired it with a couple layers of fiberglass. This was supposed to be a temp repair until my new rudder arrived but it's still on my canoe a year later.
Now that might not be the correct way to repair it so this advice comes with no expressed or implied warranty. Also trust the experts over me. And I always recommend the more expensive epoxy resin over the cheap polyester resin because epoxy will bond to polyester but polyester will not bond to epoxy. It will look ok, but will eventually fail. Since you may not be sure whether a 20 yr old canoe i polyester or epoxy, better to go with epoxy.

#4 Wed, 09/03/2014 - 12:00pm

Does the shaft wiggle or is it still pretty firm in there ?

If I remember right, the shaft goes pretty deep into the blade so you probabably can go with something like above for repair ... I would not say that though without first knowing if the shaft is still bonded into blade well.

If you thinking about repairing it, for sure put it out so all moisture will dry up.

aloha,
pog

#5 Wed, 09/03/2014 - 6:03pm

It doesn't go that deep. It goes about 3 inches down then it has a 90 degree bend that stretches out an in or so.
I'm planning to save the $150 bucks on a new one and try to fix it myself. I just want to make sure I use the right bonding material. It's pretty much how Kalikikopa situation was.
So I'm gonna try to fix it myself first and see how it holds up, if it breaks then I'll get a new one.

Thanks again for all information and tips. If i'm successful I'll post some pictures on what I've done.

#6 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 12:39pm

Clean up any loose stuff so that broken piece lays back down flat in place again, tape the whole thing up so no mess, use neat epoxy first and inject force it into everthing ... Even try wiggle the shaft so epoxy flows into everything, then mix up thickend batch and do the same thing, clamp down that broken piece, clean up all the squshed out epoxy and leave it ... I think you will surprised @ how tight and strong it is the next day.

For thickener I would suggest West System 404 for this scenario as it's stronger, you not using a ton of it, nor making fillet. 406 a close second.

aloha,
pog

#7 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 5:18pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.