herniated disc - sciatica

I wanted to post a question to the paddling community regarding a recent injury, a herniated disc L5-S1 (8mm bulge), not due to any fall or accident it was just a sore back for a month or two and then one morning I could barely more. I haven't paddled in six months ! I've done a ton of research online and have gone through a myriad of treatments ranging from massage, rolfing, chiropractic, PT, e-stim, hanging upside down to decompress the disc, OTC pain meds, ice, heat, more ice, vitamins for disc health etc, etc. My question is this injury common for paddlers and if you've had this injury are you back paddling? How long was your down time and what was the most effective treatment? Thanks in advance for any advice.

CM

Submitted by CharlieMike on Tue, 05/13/2014 - 9:08am

i tried it all. was going to get surgery. then i finally took the advice of a buddy and read
Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection by Dr Louis Sarno. It changed my life. I had the EXACT same issue as you except my L4-L5 was also bulging. could go into a million word dissertation about my experiences on here. I'll save you the time and money. read the book. no matter how stupid you think it is, it worked 100% for me. it took me 6+ years of trying everything else before finally reading it. i kick myself all the time for not having done so earlier.

i say i'm healed now. i run, lift weights, work, paddle, and surf without issue. not too many people believe me and most just laugh me off when i suggest the book. but proof is in the pudding for me. all I can do is give the advice. can't make the horse drink.

#1 Tue, 05/13/2014 - 12:44pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.174 seconds.