Hurricane ama question

I paddle a used Hurricane mostly flat water in Arizona but participate in offshore races during the winter in California. The ama that came with my canoe feels heavy with no sign of water intrusion but looks as though it has been re- painted with a good quality epoxy. Does the weight of the ama have a significant effect on speed? I am an older paddler but in pretty good shape but cannot seem to get my average speed over a 6 mile course (practice) faster than about 5.8 to 6.2 mph. Thanks in advance to those of you that may have some thoughts on this topic.

Submitted by gmortimer on Sun, 11/16/2014 - 3:54am

I paddle a Hurricane, and I'm 52 years old (which qualifies for OLDER). I can manage about 10.6 km/h over a similar distance flat water. Your speeds translate to just under 10.0 km/h, which is close. The ama may be contributing a bit, but I think it's more a matter of how balanced the canoe is. Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed it, but I found the Hurricane works better with an up front, "catchy", slightly higher stroke rate than I've used in other boats.

Don M
Penticton, Canada

#1 Sun, 11/16/2014 - 6:31am

Thanks for the answer. I am 69 years old. I paddle 3-5 times a week in OC6's and my hurricane. Concerning canoe balance. Do you have and information on the balance issue? It seems as though this is a function of seat location. Any information will be helpful.

#2 Sun, 11/16/2014 - 10:02am

By the way, as you probably know, the Hurricane seat is a butt killer. Im now using a foam seat that I bought from Huki. Much better but not perfect. Ive had the canoe for two years and still get a sore butt using the stock seat.especially during long races - say 2 hours. I will try your comment re using a faster stroke rate. I use a gps when practicing. One thing that I have found is that the race start is everything. Next race I plan on being very near the front even at the risk of collisions. But I would sure like to add 6 tenths of a MPH to my average speed.

#3 Sun, 11/16/2014 - 10:11am

Depending what year Hurricane, there should be some adjustability with the ama. Generally, I have the ama in as close to the hull as possible; and the front of the ama rigged higher than the back. When I sit, centered, in the boat I'm looking for the hull to be flat on the water (no lean left or right). I'm tall, which is not perfect for the boat because I have to move the seat all the way back - ideally I'd like to have my weight a little further forward to level the boat front to back.
I have two Hurricanes and have both kinds of seats. I've never had a problem with either, but I've heard the stock seat bothers some people.
That extra 6 tenths of a MPH will take A LOT more effort, and even more efficiency to achieve. Have fun getting there. The GPS is a great thing for this.

dm

#4 Sun, 11/16/2014 - 11:28am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.163 seconds.