Na Wahine O Ke Kai

What are the predication on this race? E Lau Hoe had Waikiki Beach Boys 2 minutes ahead of Bradley. Were both crews at full force? Are any australia crews coming?

Submitted by Kona J on Tue, 09/09/2014 - 7:07am

Just bumping this back up... any thoughts on the women's race coming up? Any big shots coming from out of state?

#1 Wed, 09/10/2014 - 8:28am

Are they allowing any under 18 teams? Now, if they'd move the race up a bit, so island gals (18+) can compete before going back to college, it would be great.

#2 Thu, 09/11/2014 - 1:38am

My thoughts are that it will be a great battle.

Waikiki Beach Boys is a team that is determined, fit and strong.

Team Bradley has huge experience and another gear in the Channel. Once they get rolling they are tough to stop.

To beat the champs it will take a huge effort.

Really too close to call and back to the old rule-"The team that makes the least mistakes will win."

What type of race day updates and technology are planned?

#3 Thu, 09/11/2014 - 6:17am

Yes, they have added a Jr division...

New Divisions!
Jr Division - 16 to 18 year old with 12 Paddlers Golden Master Women - 55 & over with 12 paddlers

#4 Thu, 09/11/2014 - 8:57am

That's Great Rachel! However, in addition to the Jr. Divisions, have any 16 - 17 year old paddlers qualified to race in the open division with the veteran paddlers? Maybe they already turned 18, but I thought I saw some "juniors" training with veterans recently and I think that's super terrific. Better to grab them now, then wait 4 to 8 years until they return from school or worse: paddle for some mainland team.

#5 Thu, 09/11/2014 - 9:15pm

Waikiki Beachgirls will win again for the 5th or so time in a row. (club team wise). Probably still beat Bradley Girls. Maybe Bradley girls can poach a few paddlers from clubs to win it.
I never get why those girls are so excited that they win or why anyone says how awesome they are.. They play under different rules than the club team yet they still act like their accomplishment is something special. It's just not special cause they are not going up against any other teams that is comprised of all stars from other clubs.

#6 Tue, 09/16/2014 - 9:26am

Who really cares that they're a "select" team? I'm actually surprised that more clubs aren't moving towards creating "select" teams with a sponsor that can carry the financial burden.

Tahiti does this year in, and year out and the competition is absolutely fierce.

#7 Wed, 09/17/2014 - 5:21am

This is looking to be a good one regardles if it is a "select" crew or a club. Beach Bunnies have been cranking out the wins and look strong. Sonny's bunnies are always ready to through down in the channel. We cannot forget Raven's ravens, they have like 700 women to choose from. Beach bunnies 1, Sonny's Bunnies a close second with the ravens rounding out the top three. Good for the sport to see a club win it

#8 Wed, 09/17/2014 - 3:27pm

Why wouldn't winning the Na Wahine be an accomplishment? Doesn't the Beach girls recruit from UH athletic Dept. what's the difference? If you are a talented female athlete that is dedicated to paddling you strive to paddle for either the Bradley or the Beach girls. I don't think we can discredit one or the other. Should we discredit the men's Team Kaua'i right off the bat too, or all teams that didn't paddle regatta together? Come on, you're delusional and disrespectful. Everyone who wins Molokai doesn't do it off of pure talent there is tons of work that goes into that accomplishment.

#9 Wed, 09/17/2014 - 9:50pm

#10 Thu, 09/18/2014 - 6:22am

Talk about "all stars," remember Billy Whitford's Offshore teams of twenty years ago that were powered by European Olympic kayakers, and Marshall's Healani team powered by Molokai surfski paddlers to do battle with them? From the start, those two teams separated themselves ahead of the pack and were in a race of their own for Oahu. My call is the team with the most kayakers will win, "all star" or not.

#11 Thu, 09/18/2014 - 11:10am

As women's coach of beachboys for the past twelve plus years I can honestly say I have never recruited from uh or any other place. In that twelve plus years I have asked four girls to paddle with us. Two did, two did not. Either style is fine, all of these girls train and sacrifice to be where they are.

#12 Thu, 09/18/2014 - 12:08pm

Where oh where did Makani go? Predictions for tomorrow...wind under 10mph. At least the tide will be helpful. Seems like every recent channel race and this year's Pailolo...the trades were not there. ; This one is going to be a battle of endurance. Hope the men's race is closer to as advertised...when was the last year for that?. 2010 was ok but not epic...when was the last "epic" channel race? Weather patterns surely are not what they used to be. Good luck tomorrow wahine!

#13 Sat, 09/20/2014 - 4:01pm

Anyone get updates?

#14 Sun, 09/21/2014 - 10:26am

1. WBB
  2. Bradley
  3. Hui Nalu
  4. OCC
  5. Hui Nalu 40's

Congrats to all the ladies that crossed!

#15 Sun, 09/21/2014 - 7:57pm

Shannon- I've never seen a top dedicated paddler go to Beachbunnies, especially a local one, except this year. They go to every other club, they'll travel an extra 30 min to go to another club. We all know why let's not pretend. I've seen plenty of good girls actively avoid Beachbunnies ...haole club.

I have no opinion on team Kauai, Their situation is diff, they are a lot different than sonny bunnies which encompasses paddlers from any island.

#16 Sun, 09/21/2014 - 8:27pm

Anyone know where the results of the race are posted?

#17 Mon, 09/22/2014 - 7:38am

healthyearth- there are many reasons paddlers go to certain clubs. Whether its coaching, practice days/times, resources, which organization the club is in,how competitive, camaraderie, practice site etc.Maybe the extra 30 min drive is worth it. In the end its how happy you will be. Bradley girls train very hard as do beachgirls. Bradley does alot of oc1 on your own time and meet on some weekends for some long runs or channel crossings.Beachgirls have their own agenda. If you dont think bradley girls trained hard for their wins you are misinformed. They train hard and enjoy paddling with eachother. Win or lose thats got to be a good gig.

#19 Mon, 09/22/2014 - 11:26am

Congrats to Beachgirls, and Bradley for performing at their best on the given race day.
Great coaching and great training, gets great results.

@unklekahi I think you made a great point in enjoying who you paddle with. Love your crew, die for your crew.

Aloha

#20 Mon, 09/22/2014 - 1:08pm

I've never met him, but I'm pretty sure Sean Monahan will go down as one of the best coaches in paddling. Congrats to all the women who crossed on Sunday.

#21 Mon, 09/22/2014 - 7:24pm

???

#22 Mon, 09/22/2014 - 9:42pm

Epic video from Hong Kong Outrigger Canoe Clubs Na Wahine experience...

http://youtu.be/DFMSIBrURKY

#23 Sun, 11/02/2014 - 7:34pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.223 seconds.