Need old style Ama and Iakos

I was given an old style OC1. I would like to fix it up for my son but it is missing the ama and the iakos. If you are on Oahu and have an old wood iako or an old ama that you would let go for cheap please let me know. It would be ok if they were in need of repair.

thanks,
Simon
916-716-5536

Submitted by thecacyfamily on Thu, 03/27/2014 - 5:02pm

If it's that old, i don't think you'll have any luck finding the correct ama and iakos for it. There is a Naia Ama listed on craigslist for $45. You could pick that up then take it to John Martin's shop, or any other canoe builder or repair shop and they could bend up a set of aluminum iakos to fit. Check for prices though. iakos will be around $200. you might end up spending more than you would for a cheap canoe.

#1 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 3:03pm

Posting a picture of the hull and or more details of the canoe such as the brand or name would probably get more answers than just saying it's an "Old style OC1".

If the place where the iakos go are even/level and not angled then I'd say a John Martin Honu/Naia iako and ama would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. The next would be a Waveblade Ama. I mention these two styles as they both have bolts that come straight up from the ama and wouldn't need too much bending of some aluminum tubing and more just drilling holes.

Aluminum tubing could be bought from Royal Metals in Kalihi as I believe that was where Kamanu Composites use to get their tubing from before getting them bent and made in bulk.

#2 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 4:59pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.177 seconds.