Need some feedback from experienced OC1 paddlers

Interested in getting in to OC1s, I currently paddle SUPs and kayaks. Need some feedback from experienced OC1 paddlers.

The kayak I have (Hurricane Skimmer) is efficient and fast for an all around sit on top. The decent quality seat and backrest make a huge difference on my back in longer runs. I also tend use the back of the seat for leverage when paddling. I have no back issues paddling a SUP (displacement/race hull) for hours.

Question #1: I understand there are many differences in paddling a kayak vs. an OC1 but was wondering if the lack of a back rest causes anyone out there to have back pain when paddling? Is this a common aliment with OC1s?

Question #2: Locally available to me is the Storm and Scorpius XM. I am 212 lbs 6’1” and will paddle in flat water as well as ocean/waves. Any feedback on either canoe?

Thanks!

Mark

Submitted by Jupiterpaddler on Mon, 08/11/2014 - 7:06am

RE: back pain. You just won't know until you try it. I used to have a lot of lower back pain.... but, that's when I paddled in cold weather/ cold water. Now I paddle in warm weather/ warm water with not a lick of back pain.

One thing most people go through when beginning OC-1 is sore butt and/or sciatic nerve irritation, but that goes away when you learn to relax and balance.

Can't speak for the Storm. Scorpius XM is a great canoe, especially for your weight and size.

#1 Mon, 08/11/2014 - 11:19am

I have a permanent partial disability due to a herniated disc in my lower back.However,paddling oc-1 doesn't cause any issues.As Swell commented,pain in the left butt,and numbness of left leg is the most common issue when beginning.I paddle a Scorpius XM presently.

#2 Mon, 08/11/2014 - 2:13pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.145 seconds.