Nelo now make V1's

http://www.mar-kayaks.pt/en/kayaks/details/v1/

imageupload picture

AttachmentSize
image.jpg15.79 KB

Submitted by Rambo on Tue, 04/15/2014 - 8:44pm

Well there's something cool. A world kayak building powerhouse like Nelo making V1's. interesting that it's rigged with the ama on the right in the picture.

#1 Tue, 04/15/2014 - 9:42pm

May help put V1 on an Olympic Games pathway, Nelo is "closely affiliated"

#2 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 1:32am

That's radical!

#3 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 6:32am

I wonder who they worked with to design this.

#4 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 9:55am

I'd guess this is aimed at the Paralympics.

#5 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 11:48am

At 42 cm it's pretty large for a V1.

#6 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 11:13pm

Nelo's website says they're based out of Portugal... I wonder if that's where these will be built?

#7 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 6:36am

All Nelo products are made in Portugal factory, including the Nelo Ocean Surfski.

Btw, V1's are quite popular in Europe due to the French connection with Va'a, Tahiti etc. but who knows what Nelo's reasons are for entering this market. I've met Andre Santos (CEO) a few times on the Surfski Race Circuit, I'll seek some answers.

#8 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 11:40am

yes its surely for annual paracanoe and 4 yearly paralympics

#9 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 1:41am

Boat is ugly.
Bow looks too small for surfing ocean swell, ama looks too big for flat water.
Ama rigged on the right side ?
If you chec their FB page you'll see that iato are put the wrong way (ama end tied on the va'"a side).

What do you think ?

#10 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 1:46pm

I think it was only rigged that side for the photo Hiro, so it shows the AMA and the the canoe points to the right like most the other products on the website. It has paracanoe options.

#11 Sun, 04/27/2014 - 12:28pm

hiro, you mean the bow would end up pearling too much?

#12 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 9:12pm

yep, but I've not seen it in real life, just saying it looks too small from the pics (I may be wrong tough). And it looks ugly.

#13 Sat, 04/26/2014 - 10:32pm

Ive seen worse looking canoes. It sure isn't as pretty as some, but who cares.

At least there will be more chances for some Portuguese or european paddlers to emerge. Nose is pretty small tho.

Ugly doesn't seem like a fair description of the Vaa.

maybe explain what you don't likeā€¦aside from the small nose i think the deck around the cockpit area could be functional. looks a bit too edgy for me.
the tail section (hump near tail) seems un needed and would lower its cross wind performance?

#14 Sun, 04/27/2014 - 11:51am

All that matters is how fast is it? The ama for both my old Horizon and Honu canoes were narrow at the tail too. Eventually, we learned to switch the ama around on the Honu and paddle it with the tail now in the front and the puffy front in the back.

If you look at all the videos of outrigger paddling in Europe, most all paddle Makaha style, with the ama on the right. Depends on which side of the world you paddle, prevailing wind conditions, or which direction the wave is breaking. Main thing is by putting the ama on the right, it gives the left side of my okole a chance to recover and rest. Unfortunately, for us makule paddlers, our brain always thinking the ama on the left, so no can handle. No problem for the young, for they can handle and balance symmetries, so no develop lopsided stroke.

#15 Sun, 04/27/2014 - 3:12pm

k

I'm all for new canoe manufacturers and growing the sport. if these guys get the contract to make a bunch of canoes ahead of established canoe shapes and builders that would be disappointing. So many long standing vaa shapers and companies should get the chance to bid for the Olympic Paralympic contract. Rambo keen to hear your inside scoop.

If the Olympics committe are going to take vaa seriously and start releasing some canoe rules like k1 so paddlers can turn up with their own brand canoe like k1.. epic, Nelo, etc that would be awesome.

Kingi

#16 Mon, 05/05/2014 - 10:34pm

I receive a reply back from Andre Santos of Nelo, the Va'a is being adapted for Paracanoe and is a genuine Tahitian Va'a under license from the Tahitian design owner, it was NOT designed by Nelo.

#17 Tue, 05/06/2014 - 8:54pm

I'd say its for Para athletes rather than surf. Some athletes have 1 leg and prefer ama on right if missing right leg. This is def designed for Rio paraolympics. Surely. Great exposure for the sport.

#18 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 10:49am

MeanDNA, it's 100% intended for Paracanoe, Nelo CEO confirmed by email it in my post just above yours. The design was specifically chosen based on Paracanoe adaption and flat water performance. He didn't mention the actual Tahitian designer, but I'm sure Hiro can probably recognise the design.

#19 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 11:28am

is a genuine Tahitian Va'a under license from the Tahitian design owner

He didn't mention the actual Tahitian designer, but I'm sure Hiro can probably recognise the design.

I was just going to ask, because I never saw such an ugly thing on the water... Or maybe the design is from someone who doesn't sell canoes ? ;)

#20 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 10:29pm

By the pictures it seems that the hull is almost flat, with very reduced rock. I wonder that it is probably designed for lakes and would not perform well in open sea.

#21 Wed, 05/14/2014 - 6:50am

I would suggest as it's now been confirmed the design was SPECIFICALLY selected for Paracanoe and Paralympic uses, performance on the open sea was not a consideration and enclosed waters were.

#22 Wed, 05/14/2014 - 11:45am

Since a specific design, I wonder why they did not consider a more user friendly cockpit configuration in terms of in/eggress + re-entry for folks.

aloha,
pog

#23 Sun, 05/18/2014 - 7:38pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.201 seconds.