New Ama for Scorpius

Anyone have the new Ama for the Scorpius line and if so, how do you like it?

Submitted by esbaypod on Tue, 05/06/2014 - 9:11pm

The new ama, is fricken awesome...A lot of people are calling it the flat water ama, but it is great in both conditions, proven in the Maui 2 Molokai and Kauai World Challenge. What I like about it is that it tracks really well, but also doesn't hold you, like a Pueo ama would, because the V doesn't go as far down the ama. The water line allows this new ama to sit better in the water, unlike the old one that skips on top, this one almost breaks through and tracks acting like a catamaran. Let the guys at the Kai Waa shop know if you wanna order one, and there is a Demo on Oahu if anyone wants to try it

#1 Tue, 05/06/2014 - 10:15pm

Love it. So far everyone who has tried it, hasn't gone back to the old one. But like thespear said, it did have a pretty good showing at Maui to Mokokai, and Kauai World Challenge. 1st and 2nd in both races?

#2 Tue, 05/06/2014 - 11:44pm

Aloha @thespear How can we setup a demo of the amma? I am in Kailua.

#3 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 6:22am

Thanks Guys
Looks like they have a Double carbon and a Super Light? I elected to go with the Double Carbon. Waiting to hear about the wait time.

#4 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 6:44am

A video on FB with Kai Chong show the ama performing nicely in the surf. I watched it a couple of time and you can clearly see that the ama doesn't get caught in the waves nor does it limit the mobility of the Scorpius XM (or XS (not sure which canoe he was on).

On a side note. Kai and Kai's canoes have been absolutely murdering in races recently. Solid showing in M2M and in Kauai Relay they just crushed good teams.

I don't see Kai as registered for Molo relay but if he does he looks like the favorite to me.

#5 Wed, 05/07/2014 - 9:24am

Haha, young braddahs you must not have to much confidence. You guys only ever say that the boat or the ama wins. You fakkas should take some credit for how hard you work. The ama never won the race. I seen all these guys putting all kine miles and secret training all over. All these new boat an new amas is all the same! Thanks to little braddah Keizo for showing all us old fakkas we was doing it wrong this whole time. Everyone gotta learn to be more humble. Sit back watch things change and grow. I know the shit I used in olden times was worthless. Good thing guys can come up and make new ideas. Everyone gotta learn.

#6 Thu, 05/08/2014 - 9:37am

I think the new ama compliments the scorpius without a doubt. Feels better in flats and surf. Lets give some credit to the guys murdering on the Kai Wa'a. Daniel Chun is the real deal. He hasn't peaked yet. Will is incredible as is Kai and the rest of their crew. This is getting exciting. Good luck guys from Kamanu and Kai Wa'a.

#7 Thu, 05/08/2014 - 3:53pm

Any photos?

#8 Thu, 05/08/2014 - 7:14pm

Click for larger image.

#9 Thu, 05/08/2014 - 7:39pm

Most of the Kai Waa guys are participating in the Olu Kai this weekend to support the Maui event as many of them live on Maui. Kaihe CHong is doing SUP first day (he is sponsored by Hobie) and then the OC1 race is Sunday unfortunately in conflict with the MoloRelay. Hopefully wind for all the racers.

#10 Fri, 05/09/2014 - 6:34am

Well mine shipped into SFO last Thursday and I got a chance to test it out yesterday here in the Bay area.
Someone in their response responding to my original post belittled those of us newbies and said it's not in the ama, well I beg to differ. While we don't get the big waves here in the Bay as in Hawaii, the water does get rough and with my original ama, it would constantly pop going out. Just to guage the difference I went after every big wave I could find while going upwind and it just seemed to go over the wave and it did not pop once. Way more stable. Here was the best part, turning around and surfing in was a blast. I am a bigger guy and surfing yesterday was a blast. I surfed faster yesterday than I ever had since I purchased this boat. So while the ama might not be anything to most, it was everything to me, so much so, I am taking off early and taking my newbie ass back on the water ! Thanks to Kai and his father for making sure everything got here undamaged and picking up the phone as a courtesy to see how we liked it. You guys rock!

#11 Mon, 06/23/2014 - 8:26am

Some pictures

#12 Sun, 09/07/2014 - 2:36pm

Is the new ama included on the new Scorpius models being delivered or do you have to buy them separately?

#13 Sun, 09/07/2014 - 4:55pm

Any new canoe built now comes with the new ama.

#14 Mon, 09/08/2014 - 5:26am

I have the original ama and have repaired some cracks in it over the years. So far..still water tight (thankfully). Considering this new ama (if I can have it shipped to the east coast), does it sit flatter on the water or curve upward like the original with only the rear of the ama sitting on the water? I'm assuming it is used w/ the original iako set? Thanks.

#15 Tue, 09/09/2014 - 2:31am

It sits flatter in the water with only a slight curve. It cannot be used with the original iako set, you will have to purchase a new set. You may have to drill the holes for your iako out a bit depending on whether your Scorpius is made in Hawaii or China.
Mine was shipped to Cali with no issues, Tom did a great job of protecting it with bubble wrap.

#16 Tue, 09/09/2014 - 4:47am

I started with the original AMA and then bought the new one. Didn't make a huge difference for me to be honest but I do prefer it to some degree over the original. Over a couple weeks I probably improved my flatwater sprints slightly and feels just a little more comfortable in the surf. I agree with thespear's comment about how it sits better in the water. Good luck

#17 Sun, 09/14/2014 - 8:32pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.214 seconds.