New Antares from Kai Waa

Anyone here demoing the new Antares from Kai ?

Submitted by esbaypod on Tue, 09/09/2014 - 4:53am

What language is Antares? I read that it is the brightest star in the constellation Scorpius, and it is also referred to as the heart of the Scorpion.

I wonder what he kept from the Scorpius XS,XM,XL hull design? If the Hull is as different as the deck I'm very curious what it will look like.

#1 Tue, 09/09/2014 - 7:56am

There are a couple of pics on facebook and I know they have been testing it out. Was hoping to get more info on it if any of the guys here were a part of the demo.
I will attach the pic

#2 Tue, 09/09/2014 - 12:13pm

Really excited about Antares, only have one made so far and beginning to do plenty testing to see how she goes. Can't speak for Kai on all the changes he's made so I'll leave that to him when the times right, but he smoked me on maliko yesterday (more than normal) so I'm guessing it's fast.

#3 Tue, 09/09/2014 - 9:30pm

Noticed a couple of these buggahs floating around the harbor and just outside the harbor last week.....Nice looking boats for sure.

#4 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 2:03pm

diudiuwang? Say that one fast...

#5 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 2:09pm

OK, couple of things to take into consideration before you read more. 1) I have a personal relationship with the Bartletts. 2) I've paddled every boat Bai ever made except the Arcturus. Full disclosure here kids.

Got my Antares from Maui yesterday. Did a short run to DH buoy and back to Kaimana in mellow east wind conditions. I noticed immediately that the new cockpit is ergonomic and badass for this 65 year old OG. Antares is faster in the flat and into the wind better then any Kai boat I've ever paddled. No offense intended to the Pueo or Puakea folks. So settle down Beavis.

Hawaii Kai run early this morning. She boogies thru the slop of a dumping tide and surf's like a typical Kai boat. Check out the demo from Kaihe Chong. Its worth it. No you can't try mine.

oxoxo, Kenny Bailey, Hekili Underground

#6 Tue, 11/18/2014 - 5:46pm

The Antares is a very comfortable well balanced canoe. Good on the flats as well as on the small stuff. That was the biggest improvement I felt from the extended xm. In the big surf she fly's!

#7 Sun, 11/30/2014 - 1:41pm

looks like a Fai 3X in the background!

all kinds of new boats this year. saw the antares on kauai. looks nice.

#8 Mon, 12/08/2014 - 9:47am

Question for Keone or anybody else who has paddled this canoe. Is the footwell in a similar configuration to the Scorpius. Divided footwell? Single drain in bottom? Thanks.

#9 Wed, 12/10/2014 - 4:08pm

ericspin_ the Antares has the double cockpit drains as does all the custom Kai Waa canoes. The single drain you refer to is only on the Ozone china built XM/XS models.

#10 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 7:39am

The cockpit though it very different from the Scorpius, your feet sit much lower in the boat. You are positioned more like a six man with your feet down below you and not out in front.

#11 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 11:48am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't wait to see some detailed photos of the canoe. And more importantly a chance to paddle one.

#12 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 1:40pm

From the Kai Wa'a website:

#13 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 2:24pm

Thanks for the informative post kileki.

#14 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 2:52pm

Ericspin the footwells are deeper then the Scorpuis canoes an the rails are higher. You really feel locked in sitting on this canoe. An like Paddlfast said the footwell drains are the doubles like all of Kai Hawaii built canoes. They drain well. This canoes very well balanced I feel an not tippy. Ama seems to track well. Canoes very loose in the bumps. With the nose more knifed she seems to run better on the flats an cuts threw bumps way easier. I'm 5'8 177lbs give or take the extra beers An box lunches. An I feell the canoes suits me very well. In my opinion this canoes good for paddlers 170 lbs an up. All the canoes now days are pretty close. You can't go wrong. Just get out there an have fun!!! Now if I can just get this old motor to run better maybe I'll have a good season!

#15 Thu, 12/11/2014 - 8:23pm

The Hull of the Antares looks similar to the XS. A little more round in certain areas, but it looks good. How does Kai build so many molds in such short time? Pretty awsome

#16 Tue, 12/16/2014 - 9:17pm

Well paid slave labor with 1 paddle break per day and beers at the end. That's how

#17 Fri, 12/19/2014 - 8:01pm

Sounds about right

#18 Mon, 12/22/2014 - 7:14pm

The name sounds very promising. In the movie "Ben Hur" all four horses of the arabian sheik are named after stars. Aldebaran, Altair, Rigel and Antares. Antares is the one on the left side. He is in that position because he has the strength of holding the other three on track !

#19 Tue, 12/23/2014 - 1:09pm

Had a chance to paddle the Antares this weekend and it is a solid fast boat. A must try if you are in the market.

#20 Sun, 01/11/2015 - 8:10pm

I have had my foam core Antares on Kauai for two weeks now. It is the best running canoe on the market and I can say that from years of experience with all of them. It seems to be as fast as my competition on small stuff and it excels in the big with complete stability when surfing in either direction. When the conditions get junky, it cuts thru with the feeling and comfort that you might find on your living room sofa.

#21 Tue, 02/03/2015 - 8:30am

canoerace where can I get a sofa like that?

sofasalesman

#22 Tue, 02/03/2015 - 4:25pm

KAuaisurf85- call Keone for the sofasleeper! Might be nice on a long MoloSolo.

#23 Tue, 02/03/2015 - 8:32pm

A shipment is coming to the East Coast this summer, I am seriously considering picking one up.

Any more feedback on this new Canoe from anyone? before I spend $4300 with out even trying it :)

As I am and aging paddler with a low back problem, I am looking for a comfortable canoe, and I am considering this or the Ehukai.

Thanks for any help.

#24 Wed, 06/10/2015 - 8:24am

If comfort is your top priority, that's a moving target. Any boat will be uncomfortable if your rigging, and seat ain't right, coupled with any skill or physical limitations. Any boat you buy will take time to dial in. After starting with a Nai'a (seems eons ago now), I've been on nothing but Kai Wa'a boats. Every boat took me time to dial in both performance and comfort wise. Spica, to Polaris, to Pegasus, to Scorpius, to another Scorpius, to XM, to XS, to Extended XM, back to XS, and now Antares. Plus 3 different Amas. I had to take time to dial in the rig and shave and shape my seat on every boat / ama combination. I guess my main point is, no matter what boat you get, there are steps you can take to make it more "comfortable'.

#25 Wed, 06/10/2015 - 9:29am

Ha, very true Scaryslow, thanks for the feed back.

I own a Pegasus now and I really love it, I have had it many years and its getting old. I would like to get another boat and the Anatares seems appealing because the feet seem to be positioned lower then in the Pegasus, thereby putting less strain on the lowback perhaps? Since I have a herniated disc in the low back, L5S1, I am thinking this might be a boat worth trying. However as you say it, it may be more about rigging and seat then about the boat?

#26 Wed, 06/10/2015 - 12:30pm

Antares is definitely one of the most comfortable boats out there, personally I think the seating style and footwells is the most comfortable of all Kai's designs. I'll always push and use a hawaii built boat, but the other day I tested the Ozone Antares and if I were a customer, for 4300 I'd be very happy with the boat. Rides the same, light, stiff and very comfortable

#27 Fri, 06/12/2015 - 6:44am

Will, Does the Ozone boat have an extended footwell? and
do you know when there will be some demo's here in SoCal?

#28 Sat, 06/13/2015 - 8:37pm

No Antares hawaii made or ozone are have extended footwell, the first shipment comes to so cal june 16th, I'll know more about a demo when I get to Cali in July, keep in touch and I should have something then

#29 Sun, 06/14/2015 - 7:33pm

John- the cockpit on both the custom and Ozone Antares are the same- long so yes I guess they could be referred to as extended. Just like the Custom XS, Ozone Xs and Ozone XM- long cockpits. Ozone XM, XS and Antares come with different seat sizes. Have fun.

#30 Wed, 06/17/2015 - 12:57pm

Had a change to do a Maliko run on an Antares last week. Guesstimate of 6-8' waves. NEVER done a Maliko before, was blessed to have an Antares to ride, as I currently have an XM. 5'10" on a, eh-hem, low gravity day, 160lbs. I was actually.....not....wanting to paddle this canoe because I already knew from the early pics that the seating position was going to be nice. Meaning, higher seat, lower footwells. As soon as I sat in the cockpit it felt like a Barkalounger! Super comfy, but a tad snug in the hips. I felt I could really put more efficient power into the stroke than I could in my XM. Granted I was using a 50" Pure when I typically run a 51 Pure, so that might account for something. (I have since placed an order for a 50).

Once out into the main swell, the canoe went upwind really smoothly. No slapping of the hull, felt well balanced and again, comfy. Then the downwind. Again, I've NEVER done a Maliko run so it was a massive learning experience in all aspects. Steering was super sensitive (think F1 race car), and only due to operator error did I huli!

Not sure what else to say, except, being back home, racing Sat and padlding Mon/Tues, the front muscles of my hips are already tight. Sitting in the XM the 'pinch' feeling has returned. I know enough to stretch after paddling, but I didn't feel anything after the Maliko run the next day. Except sore cheek muscles from smiling!!!

I've heard one of my paddling buddies has built some foam shims for his seat. Something I'm going to really check into. That's what I know......

#31 Wed, 09/30/2015 - 10:55am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.242 seconds.