non Garmin GPS recommendations needed

I've been successfully using a Garmin Forerunner 310XT for the past year. The device continues to work perfectly but the data transfer to my mac is no longer happening. It could be a corrupt file somewhere, could be a software glitch but in the any case I now can't view my data on my computer nor can I share the team workouts with my paddle mates.

I am hunting around for a better GPS, or, perhaps, more accurately, a GPS that works better with computer software.

Basically we need a GPS that records speed, distance, time etc, is waterproof and allows for interval workouts and distance training to be set up on it.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Submitted by ho'okele on Mon, 08/25/2014 - 2:58pm

ho'okele

I've been using the Suunto Ambit with a heart rate belt for distance training for a year now. The computer software "Movescount" from Suunto works great with my mac's. The watch is a bit expensive but it records so much info I'm not sure what it all means. Distance, Pace, Speed, Heart rates, PTE, Calories, VO2, Intensity of workout, EPOC Peak, Temp., Respiration rate, Energy Consumption etc. Lots of good info for training and racing. The new Suunto Ambit 3 will be out later this year and will also record Stroke rate, Stroke efficiency (Distance per stroke) too. I haven't really found anything else that works as well. BTW I use it for cycling, hiking, backpacking too.

#1 Mon, 08/25/2014 - 4:34pm

I used the Endomondo app on my iPhone last weekend and it worked great.

#2 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 4:32am

@tahoeluke, prices don't actually look too bad for the Suunto. some of the Ambit2 models are under $300. sounds about comparable to a garmin wrist sized GPS with similar features. maybe even cheaper.

#3 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 8:21am

Yes, the Suunto looks like an excellent alternative to Garmin. Thanks for the suggestion, tahoeluke!

#4 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 9:45am

@ho'okele, is it just your ant stick that's dead? That happened to me, very annoying. I have not tried replacing it yet, tho I see that replacements ain't cheap... also annoying.

#5 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 11:18am

@makule, yes, you are right it could be the ant stick, more likely malfunctioning rather than dead because sometimes the data will load but other times not. Maybe I can borrow and friend's ant stick and try it out to see if that would resolve my, seemingly, software issues.

#6 Tue, 08/26/2014 - 3:40pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.204 seconds.