O'ahu paddling clinic with Manutea Owen

Manutea Owen will be putting on a paddling clinic at 5:30 at Kailua Canoe Club on Wednesday. Clinic will likely be entirely land based and will go until dark. Manutea will cover paddling philosophy, technique, V-1, and there will be a follow-up Q & A session. Recommended donation of $10 per person to help cover his airfare to Hawai'i. Kids under 18 are free.

In my opinion, it's the youth that'll likely benefit most from the clinic. His inspirational story of being part of a non-corporate canoe club with only seven members on an island of 5,000 people and then ultimately winning the Hawaiki Nui and the Super Aito should resonate with most youth in Hawai'i. When you grow up hearing the myth that Tahitians are fast because they are paid to paddle, you lose hope that you can ever compete with them. The story of Manutea and Matairea Hoe show's that it's possible to come from a small community with limited financial resources and be among the best in the world. I haven't met many people as humble, passionate, and dedicated to paddling as Manutea. If you're on O'ahu, please come check out this clinic on Wednesday.

Submitted by luke on Mon, 05/26/2014 - 10:01am

Ho brah. I wish I was one kid again. Mean.

#1 Mon, 05/26/2014 - 11:32am

Any chance of it being recorded and posted? For those of us unable to be there in person.

#2 Mon, 05/26/2014 - 1:31pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.167 seconds.