OC1 choices in Southern California

I find it a little hard to believe that the large paddling population in Southern California has so few choices of OC 1 to purchase...Huki Outriggers and Surfskis in Central California, and OutriggerZone are our only choices.
Jude makes Custom Boats, all of which are very high quality. The only other choice are boats sold from OutriggerZone produced in and shipped from China.
This makes for somewhat of a problem with choice.....Order a boat from Jude, or wait for a shipment from China and hope that there is something left over that may fit.....

where are the reps for Kamanu?
where are the reps for Outrigger Connection?
Tiger?
others?....

Those with custom boats have to pay obscene shipping costs and we usually pass this down when we sell our boats

any comments? solutions?

Submitted by jdeppe on Fri, 06/06/2014 - 12:58pm

The rep for Kamanu is Kel Thompson from NAC.
Danny Ching is the rep for Puakea.
Ocean Ohana is repping the Ozone, Kai Wa'a and PSI Intl canoes.

Not sure about the others

#1 Fri, 06/06/2014 - 7:12pm

Outrigger Connection Hawaii
Phone: (808)261-8424
email: canoes@outriggerconnectionhawaii.com

Outrigger Connection Dealers
Southern California
George Plsek
Ph. (858) 775-1619
george@plsek.us

#2 Sat, 06/07/2014 - 12:55am

Thank you for the information, but nobody got the point....
why isn't anyone making canoes in Southern California?
I cannot go and buy a new Pueo, or Zephyr tommorrow,
plus, Ocean Ohana controls all of the rest of the OC1's from China....

Does anyone see a problem here? Kamanu, Kai, Maui K, Pure, please send us some handmade
product. I am so tired of having to tell my friends and paddlers to look for that boat that has been sold
3 or 4 times before on Craigslist......

dying for good boat choices here.

#3 Sun, 06/08/2014 - 9:00pm

Feel free to open up shop. In the meantime, every major canoe manufacturer is represented in SoCal. You'll have to wait a month or so, but they're hand built - what do you want? If you need it tomorrow, Sports Chalet has some nice plastic kayaks.

#4 Mon, 06/09/2014 - 4:14am

I just don't think the demand is as prevalent here on the mainland as it is on the islands, and I imagine that it would be incredibly tough, (especially in CA where property rates are absurd) to run a small business building canoes.

Considering the majority of big builders are in Hawaii, it is still relatively easy to get a canoe here. All it takes is some coordination and patience.

#5 Mon, 06/09/2014 - 12:14pm

Huki: If he can ship a canoe unscathed to Iceberg Alley in the North Atlantic, surely he can get a canoe to SC.

#6 Mon, 06/09/2014 - 12:52pm

Ocean Ohana HAD a retail shop on Mission Blvd. San Diego, Ca. ... Besides Hurricanes, mostly had junk and talked stink about Huki. Ask me anytime how I know.

pog

#7 Tue, 06/10/2014 - 5:04am

Very valid comment for the situation you note - especially if you're new and don't know the best canoe/cockpit for you. There's no easy shop in SoCal , so lots of time/travel to clubs/events for trial & error. As noted by comments, no easy fix no short time frame.

#8 Fri, 06/13/2014 - 3:43am

I'm out here on the east coast (right coast). I got my boat from Jude at Huki, full service and careful on time delivery. If I was in California I would think it no problem to just drive up to Sacramento and check things out. I mean, come on if we have to get our boats from 3300 miles to 6000 miles away, you could drive 100?

#9 Mon, 06/30/2014 - 11:15am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.183 seconds.