OC1 spare paddle - a drag?

I often go out on my own in my OC1 and when I do I strap a spare paddle to my rear iako.

It occurred to me that this may actually cause some drag especially on a windy day. But I have never done GPS data analysis to try figure this out for sure.

What do you think? Have you noticed some drag or slower times on a familiar training course when you have a spare paddle along on your one person canoe?

Submitted by ho'okele on Thu, 03/27/2014 - 7:20am

Ho'okele,
I think a simple solution to your problem would be to move the location of your extra blade. I would install some rubber or foam clips w/velcro on the back portion of your canoe to hold your extra blade. I'm sure you could get creative with the different ways of attaching the extra blade. I've seen this on numerous unlimited canoes and I think it would alleviate any drag you may be experiencing.

Kai Ko'o

#1 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 10:31am

it might be a drag,but it might save your life.Personal experience.

#2 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 11:18am

Kava, I totally agree that the spare paddle is essential when training alone.

Kai Ko'o, I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying to strap the spare paddle to the hull itself, behind the OC1 seat rather than placing it along the ama and held there by rubber tubing?

What I mainly wondered was whether something as simple as a spare paddle strapped to the iako could cause enough drag, on a windy day, to affect speed over a specific distance.

#3 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 5:55pm

Ho'okele, pretty much everything we do in life comes down to a compromise of sort. When the safety issue supersedes other considerations, your primary concern is the ability to access that spare paddle in likely difficult conditions (conditions bad enough to make you lose or bust the one you were using in the first place). Reasonably easy access to your spare and a secure hold, should be your main concerns here. Having a spare also can come in handy when paddling with others ...for when someone breaks or loses their only one ... during Keokea runs in smoking conditions, for example. Not exactly answering your question but wanting to commend you for thinking safety first.
Jacques

#4 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 2:56am

I understand your question. I have seen videos of Australian paddlers that have the paddle attached to the hull behind the paddler. As far as drag, sure anything you in the windstream will cause drag of some sort. If it effects your speed. I would doubt it. Also how it was strapped would make a difference also. If your iako is angled so the blade can lay flat behind the paddler, then there might be less drag. If your blade is ama side, level, then the drag would also be limited, but on windy days might affect stability in some way. Especially when flying the ama.
My thought is would the effect the extra paddle has on speed, it any, a result of drag, extra weight, or both? If it is drag, would a straight shaft be better or worse than a double bend? Soo many questions.

#5 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 11:11pm

Thanks for your comments and insights.

As for paddle drag, this month I have done two OC1 time trials. For one I happened to have the spare paddle lashed to the iako and not so for the other. There are many variables in a time trial but, for me, the run without the spare paddle on board was significantly faster. Kind of got me thinking.

#6 Sat, 03/29/2014 - 5:29am

ho'okele

Just a thought.
I wonder if the blade, angled in a certain way on the iako, would create a sail effect on a downhill run?

#7 Sun, 03/30/2014 - 9:57pm

Let me drag some sketchy back-of-the envelope science in here. If I grab the chunkiest paddle I can find on short notice (Kialoa Teva Hoe @ 133 square inches), hold it in the air square into the direction of travel and paddle (with a second paddle) at 6 mph (10km/h) at sea level using a conservative drag coefficient for a flat surface (1.8) I get a drag force of 0.147 pounds. To put that in perspective grab an apple, cut it in thirds. Hold up your hand. Now place a third of an apple on your hand. The difference you feel is how much additional force you must generate to counter the effect of that big paddle in the air.

Now lets dial the speed of the wind on the paddle up to 18 mph (30km/h) - eg. you are paddling into a 12 mph (20 km/h) headwind @ 6 mph (10 km/h) The calculated drag force on the paddle would be approximately 1.33 pounds - or something like 3 apples in your hand as per my previous example.

Now whether these amounts are particularly significant depends on your mindset, but I would in general say they are pretty minimal compared to other possible factors in your environment. To keep your mind at ease strap the paddle with the blade flat against the hull of the canoe with the shaft running along the iako - that'll keep the air drag to a minimum and more importantly it means less chance of your paddle getting ripped off the iako in the case of a rogue wave steamrollering you.

Enjoy!

#8 Mon, 03/31/2014 - 2:30pm

are you going fast enough to make a difference?

#9 Mon, 03/31/2014 - 5:15pm

MrPhil aka Bill Nye The Science Guy?

#10 Tue, 04/01/2014 - 4:25am

Just the sketchy back-of-the-envelope Science Guy

#11 Tue, 04/01/2014 - 10:21am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.338 seconds.