OC4 Da Kai set up

Hi there,

We have a DA KAI oc4 (kamanu model).
1- I am wondering if it is well rigged.
We have put the ama on the right and as far as possible from the hull.
What will happen if we reduce the distance between hull and ama?

2- the hull is hollow and has 2 little hole just unter the back seat and in front pf the front seat.
I suppose that these holes avoid the hull to crack because of the dilatation of the air when it's hot.
When we have caught some waves, sometimes, the canoe got full of water and some water enters inside the hull
through those holes.
What about putting a cork plug in those holes when we use the canoe in waves?

3- We are beginners, so any advice about steering, how to return the canoe when it capsizes, etc... are welcome

thank you

Submitted by sylvano on Fri, 01/24/2014 - 8:27am

others know far more then me...but yes...getting the ;ama outboard will make it more stable. And yes those hole in the bulkheads will help equalize pressure...but usually those holes are well above the water line. It would be odd to have them low where they take in water..they should be higher up and then drain plugs would be used in the lower part of the bulk heads. Also..maybe not more responses because the canoe you described is not very well known. Are you sure it is a Da Kai OC4...who made that and you also said it was a Kamanu model.?
Anyway ...the basics are the same for most canoes, Bulk heads with removable drain holes at the bottom and vent holes up high to equalize pressure but away from usual water entry.

#1 Sat, 01/25/2014 - 3:17pm

Thank you poidog.
the canoe was made in France by Woo-outriggers.
This company works in collaboration with Kamanu-Composites and produces canoes for Europe.
I now know that the holes in the bulkheads have to be sealed while the canoe is in the water and stay open when stores on the ground.
I am now testing different distances between hull and ama, but I think at my level, the more stable, the better...

Any other advice welcome!

#2 Mon, 01/27/2014 - 9:26am

Hi Sylvano,
AFAIK, WOO produces the pueo Under Kamanu licence, but nevertheless produces also their own models.
I assume Da Kai is one of the latter.

Have fun and stay safe.

#3 Wed, 01/29/2014 - 7:07am

Sylvano,ama always on the left of the canoe.

#4 Wed, 01/29/2014 - 8:14am

Sylvano, I can't speak for your canoe but I have a 4-man "surf" canoe that had lower holes in the fore and aft bulkheads. What I did is drilled very small "breathing" holes (where trapped air could escape) up higher on the bulkheads. I usually covered these with duct tape. The low holes (near the bottom/floor) of the canoe I placed a stainless screw with a rubber washer. This way while in use, the sloshing water in the bottom of the canoe wouldn't get into the bulkhead. Any water that did get into the bulkhead could be drained by removing the screw. Just my 2-cents.

#5 Fri, 01/31/2014 - 2:58am

Depending on the surf, ama on the right side more better, like Makaha!

#6 Fri, 01/31/2014 - 10:02am

you're right koacanoe,for surfing ama placement depends on the wave that you are surfing,if not for surf,just paddling,ama on the left.

#7 Fri, 01/31/2014 - 12:40pm

Sylvano: t'es ou?

#8 Fri, 01/31/2014 - 8:52pm

THanks to all of you.

I am looking for plastic or wood plugs or corks. Meanwhile, I put a bit of wax in the holes. It seems to work perfectly.

Regarding the ama: should I put it on the right handside to surf right handers?
(Not really important at the moment, as I am learning and riding straight!!!! ;) )

Also, I am steering with an old SUP paddle that I cut.
I assume that in the surf, a bigger blade would be much more efficient.
Any tips to make one?

@ LikooMaui: I am in Lanzarote (Canary Islands).

#9 Fri, 02/07/2014 - 10:58pm

sylvano, Check out this video:

#10 Sat, 02/08/2014 - 5:21pm

Not having much to do with 4 man surf canoes and not understanding their design manufacturing....why are the vent holes at the bottom of the manu bulkheads versus the top and why are there no threaded drain plugs at the bottom of the manu bulkheads? Tape, wax,. cork...to prevent water entry? I really do not understand it.

#11 Sat, 02/08/2014 - 8:13pm

thanks for the vid.

#12 Fri, 02/14/2014 - 11:11pm

We have rigged our OC4 with ratchet tie down straps for hull and iakos.
I have seen pictures where they use rope and even something that looks like wheel inner tube (?)

What's the best?

#13 Fri, 06/13/2014 - 10:27pm

Ratchet straps are okay, but they can be too tight (or too strong) and you could end up snapping the iako if they don't give way in a wipe-out.

Just enough cotton rope and a couple wraps of rubber tubing keeps the iako in place on the hull and still give way in a wipe-out so the lashing breaks and not the iako. Less expensive to replace cotton rope/rubber tubing vice a broken iako which you may not be able to get fixed or replaced right away.

It's all really personal preference, experience and conditions you are in would dictate what you feel is best.

#14 Sat, 06/14/2014 - 1:56am

"Rubber-dubbers" are recycled mountain bike tires. Cut both sides of the valve (you can roll them up for storage). If there is "slime" (anti-flat) liquid - it can be washed out with a hose.

Start at the top of the 'iako and wrap around the wai - pulling tight as you go. The last wrap - hold about one inch above the 'iako, then after the final wrap, tuck the free end under what you are holding up and let it snap into place - VERY secure.

You need one at each side of the wai, and a third in the middle can be used. You can either wrap them in a straight line over itself, or you can make two parallel tracks with one "rubber-dubber".

After many months the rubber will break down due to sun-exposure and need to be replaced, but almost any bike store will give you all you want for free.

Do NOT tie a knot in a bicycle inner tube - you will never get it undone. (I use traditional line rigging on 'iako/'ama connection, rubber-dubber only on 'iako/wai connection)

In the attached photo - the rubber dubber in the middle of the 'iako is covering a go-pro mount so the kids don't get cut when they scamper out to surf the 'ama... Bonne Surfing!

Mahalo!

#15 Sun, 06/29/2014 - 3:44am

http://youtu.be/0Bz-PKGm2_Y

#16 Fri, 01/23/2015 - 11:32pm

www.youtube.com/likoomaui

#17 Fri, 01/30/2015 - 8:33pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.215 seconds.