Ocean Paddler Molokai Hoe coverage

I'm very grateful for the streaming of this event so with all due respect, why are we forced to watch what adds up to hours of Lauren and Guy chattering nonstop when the action is on the water? I think of similar televised events like the Tour de France. I'm entranced by the peloton, even if there's no change in the leaders. Closeups of the individuals are what make for exciting viewing, not staring at the commentators in the studio. In fact, except for the very beginning and end of the telecast, we never see the commentators.

And there doesn't need to be constant commentary from Kalai with the camera trained on him either. The stars of the Molokai Hoe are the paddlers. Not Lauren, Guy, and Kalai. It's mesmerizing just to watch a crew blend, whether it's the leaders or crews in the back of the pack. I think the production could be much more.

Submitted by kawekiu on Sun, 10/19/2014 - 10:56am

Agreed, I missed being on the water this year but sitting in Vegus I enjoyed catching some of the action via the live stream. I salute all three for their efforts to bring us this great challenge but in hopes of improvement you bring up a spot on point.
To the broadcast crew, Mahalo, but take the above input and run with it. Every boat could have been seen instead of watching two people in front of a camera or a dood sitting in a boat. Do feature stories ahead of time and check in with those crews along the way. How about those 18 year old teams or the 60 plus? Did I miss an overview, gps like, screen shot of the boats positions relative to each other? Not that I don't mind watching Lauren for 5 hours but the guy thing could be improve.

Again big Upps to each of you involved with bringing this broadcast live.

See you on the water.

EC

#1 Sun, 10/19/2014 - 11:45am

Agree, I didn't mind watching Lauren for 5 hours also.

#2 Sun, 10/19/2014 - 1:20pm

Not sure if there was a reason for the minimal race footage, but maybe it was a bit more difficult to have live streaming of paddlers in the larger ocean conditions?

I agree though that I would rather take the chance to identify the crew myself than get 5 different wrong guesses, and watch Lauren and Guy try to make 6 hours of TV not seem boring.

The paddler interviews were awesome, even though Jane wasnt quite up to date on her crew lists.

To ocean paddler TV, if you happen to read this thread. Thank you very much for your efforts, but in the future maybe just let the race footage roll and have Kalai chime in periodically? Save yourself some $$ by not having Lauren and Guy sit in Millilani trying not to look bored.

Aloha ;)

Any info on the DVD? Im hoping it will cover more than an Ocean Paddler TV episode.

#3 Sun, 10/19/2014 - 4:02pm

• 3 on just watching .. Reason we tuning in. ... Long time shots with ocean sound put us right there. No need commentary. We all want to just see it. Big money sponsors will like this too ? Frame Lauren and Guy with a live backgound to break things up + set up live phone check ins ? One more boat that chases around ( going the other direction ) would be sweet.

Great job and mahalo for your consideration.
aloha,
pog

Edit to add ... That upsteam boat would not even need a camera, just a radio / phone + an accurate list of all the teams to report back. Solicit sidebar stories or this can even be one optional " Notes " blank space for teams on registration form as a media waiver.

This would be EZ to collect B4 race and bring up during. Just need to list next to team name for EZ reference during commentary. ... " " on team Kuku Kane is celebrating his 70th BD or 6th crossing today." " Davey Jones just got news he beat cancer after taking up paddling 5 years ago."

Let the teams do the work for you on this. Then just collect. ... You know they gonna if chance they get talked about spotlighted on the show.

#4 Sun, 10/19/2014 - 10:47pm

I really enjoyed the coverage. Got together with friends and watched most of it.

Loved the shots they got from directly behind the lead crews, there was one particular where Kalai broke down how Shell was quartering. You always hear about that, talk about how-- but to see a top crew from that vantage was pretty cool.

Also liked the summary of the women's events they mixed in. And year previous summary as well was nice perspective.

Obviously is tough for any commentator on a marathon shift, but I do like the formula of a top paddler w/ a local weather guru. Guy being able to describe all the intricacies of the surf spots passing Diamond Head is just one example.

I know they have limited budget to improve, but having a feel for who is racing outside top 5 seems attainable with a list of registered crews/#s. What would really be cool-- if they can Chip the Boats with GPS somehow. Not sure what that effort would be, put them in the #stickers maybe? Would they transmit from mid channel? idk...but with a map of all the boats numbered online (I think they had this for the NYC outrigger race?) it could add that extra element to connect viewers with that glimpse of their friends/teammates/family.

But all in all, super stoked on Ocean Paddler TV on the work they do.

#5 Tue, 10/21/2014 - 8:49am

@Salty Dog

They actually did give a few crews GPS, but not many of them took the time to download and install the App on our Iphones. We did but it was a bit too difficult for foreign teams that dont speak or read english to complete.
Manny had a great system for the PA'A relay this year, maybe that company could put a word in the Officials ears for Molokai Hoe.

#6 Tue, 10/21/2014 - 8:25pm

salty dog, thought those were the best shots too. could see how much the crew was working to milk the surf from all different directions.

just thinking out loud, but to add to what people said about the tracking for the relay, that was super fun to watch. i have no idea about web design... but it would seem you could have a web page with the broadcast streaming in one embedded element and then on the same page have the tracking window also embedded. viewers would be able to watch and listen to the webcast while messing around with the tracking window and seeing where all the rest of the pack is. i know i was busy clicking and searching for all my buddies on the water for the relay with that system Manny used. also if the broadcasters have access to the tracking too it'd make it easier for them to ID crews too. no?

#7 Tue, 10/21/2014 - 8:47pm

yea, less talking more spocking. To take this to the next level you need to step it up into action coverage or this goes no where.

#8 Thu, 10/23/2014 - 9:37pm

Something a lot of people didn't realize is the helicopter camera couldn't get a signal until about half way across the channel. Therefore a lot of canoe action was missed and they had to make up the time by going back to the boat shots and studio. It is just one of those things that happens with a live production.

#9 Tue, 10/28/2014 - 1:56pm

Truly enjoyed the live stream again this year...from Ohio :-(
Commentators did a great job with the challenges and limitations they had. I agree with all above comments regarding more crews' coverage, but 6 hours is a long time for any program coverage and commentators will still have a challenge going the distance. Consider letting the crews themselves fill in space: request a 2-3 minute video clip from registered crews, 2-3 weeks prior to the race. Videos would highlight that crew, where from and maybe a short local interest story. Race coordinators could review clips (over beers!) select those they consider interesting and appropriate, and seed them into the coverage during the 6 hours. Not sure if there are legal issues with this, but I know crews at the front and back would enjoy the publicity, as would their families and friends. Thoughts?

#10 Wed, 10/29/2014 - 9:55am

^ good idea!

It definitely would be neat as a spectator to see profile spots on some of the different crews racing.

#11 Wed, 10/29/2014 - 11:37am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.