'okole rash?

Any good techniques for dealing with butt rash? If you're about to embark on a long paddle, and you already have rash, what's the best plan? Ignore it? Bandage? Vaseline? Any secret techniques?

Submitted by luke on Thu, 04/24/2014 - 7:54am

Choke Vaseline.

#1 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:28am

One of my fond memories of Hawaii was doing the Queen Liliuokalani race in a canoe with no seat padding, which gave me a terrible rash. The flight home was interesting. I stuffed a couple of large sterile pads into my shorts that made sitting down bearable. Unfortunately there was still some bleeding causing the pads to bond to my skin. Fortunately I didn't get patted down at the security checkpoint. Afterwards, paddling was hard for a while. The best thing that I found for easing the situation was wearing neoprene shorts.

#2 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:53am

luke,

Apply layers of Desitin cream now and during the day of the race(baby diaper rash cearm, from CVS, Wallgreens, K Mart) and use any kind under shorts.

#3 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 11:31am

Vasoline and a good pair of compression shorts.

#4 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 1:55pm

Luke,

Try on a pair of Birdwell Beach Britches. See if you like the slippery, two layer effect they offer.

aloha,
pog

#5 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 6:26pm

funny birdwells were mentioned i was just thinking about getting some. also the patagonia two layered "paddler" boardshort works good. they're magical if you're prone to rash, plus with two layesr of fabric you avoid that embarrassing vaseline "melt through"

during out of water time i highly recommend gold bond powder or the diaper cremes. Boudreaux's Butt Paste is magic too.

#6 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 7:22pm

This is my routine:

When you are not in the water, and dry, use plain old corn starch. Corn starch is awesome and dry. Don't use all the time though because it can invite yeast.

When you are sweaty and wet, organic coconut oil. Only the best, the stuff you cook with.

Both are magic.

Jason

#7 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:03pm

Vegemite :-)

#8 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:37pm

Beware >>> Birdwells are MANDATORY try on, due to funky sizing.

Or just go with they instructions .. all good.

aloha,
pog

#9 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:50pm

Hi Keizo,

Cannot add You tube link to above ..

aloha,
pog

#10 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 8:52pm

Depending on size and type of rash (hesitant to ask too many questions) a hydrocolloid dressing may be the way to roll.

#11 Thu, 04/24/2014 - 10:21pm

RE: onnopaddle's video posted above

Damn! White people are really, really good dancers. Really.

#12 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 7:38am

Tiger Balm!

First concern is winning race. Okole second concern. Tiger Balm on rash will get you fired up and the blood pumping.

#13 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 8:33am

Here's a summary for anyone not wanting to go through the ten posts above:
Vaseline, large sterile pads, desitin, more vaseline, birdwells, gold bond powder, cornstarch, coconut oil, vegemite, white people are really good dancers, hydrocoloid dressing, and topped off with Tiger balm.

As always, Ocpaddler.com comes through. But, with so many options I'm not sure where to start. I think I'll go au naturel and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow evening.

#14 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 8:57am

One more: New Skin. Picked up this tip from a rodeo rider. It's available in the first aid section at any drug store, comes in a little bottle with a brush and smells like fingernail polish. Coat rub raw area with New Skin, wait to dry, then coat that with body glide.

Double layering shorts is key too. Use neoprene paddling shorts or synthetic boxers under board shorts, so the layers rub against each other instead of against your skin.

Vaseline and Desitin are great but won't last more than an hour, body glide does the same thing but lasts a bit longer. Tiger Balm on an open wound might explain the dancing...

#15 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 10:15am

Seconded on the double layer. I actually wear the compression shorts under a pair of neoprene paddling shorts, then boardshorts on top. Sounds like a lot, but being able to sit back down at the end of the day makes it worth it.

#16 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 12:14pm

A&D ointment. It?s used for baby rash. It?s heal and protects at the same time. Apply with latex glove or plactic bag (to avoid slippery finger) and you?ll be slippery enough to last even after the race. Rub on the olo?s and the po?o also.

#17 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 2:57pm

So, now that you managed to do M2M, what solution did you try and how effective was it?

#18 Tue, 04/29/2014 - 11:36am

yeah Luke!! let us all know how that nasty rash on your junk is. the whole paddling world is waiting with baited breath. i've got a side bet going with someone. did you name the rash yet? how about your junk?

#19 Tue, 04/29/2014 - 11:47am

Happy to report that it went great. Just followed a little bit of everyone's advice. The rash also happened to be on my numb cheek. So, that helped as well.

#20 Tue, 04/29/2014 - 3:55pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.209 seconds.