Paddle cutting help

How do I go about cutting my paddles? I have a Makana and a Viper that I want to cut down. Any special materials needed? Just resin? Where can I get the resin from? Any other tips?

Submitted by billebongboi4 on Tue, 10/14/2014 - 9:40am

Use a heat gun to blow hot air to handleeeting the shaft for a minuet or so, not to close. Rhe handle should pull off. Cut desired length of shaft of the top and use sandpaper may be 100 grit and the shaft to where the handle will go back on also Sand the inside of the handle make sure you get all the old glue off and have some nice clean roughmaterial to apply the new glue. Use 2 part epoxy 5 minuet drying time from local hardware store or Home Depot. Apply inside of handel and inside shaft, pop handle on and allign with balde. Let cure 24 hours.
Also check youtube and email Viper, thet'll send info amd pics.
Have fun, take your time, wear latex gloves.

#1 Tue, 10/14/2014 - 9:34pm

when you glue the handle, check its alignment twice...

#2 Tue, 10/14/2014 - 9:53pm

Something else to think about when cutting down your blade. The palm grip is usually an inch long (up/down). The hole in the grip that is glued to the shaft usually is 3/4 of an inch deep. This will leave you with a 1/4 inch of wood that needs to be accounted for. So, if you cutting down from say 50 to a 49, you should cut the paddle shaft at 48 3/4 inch. When you glue that handle back on, that 1/4 inch in the handle will bring your paddle length to the desired 49 inch that you want. Many guys forget about this and end up with a length that is at least 1/4 inch short. Follow the glue instruction above, 2 part 5 minute epoxy works great. Good luck.

#3 Wed, 10/15/2014 - 12:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.388 seconds.