Paddles

Since paddles seem to be a topic of conversation and since the Tahitian crews do so well in all their races was just wondering what paddles they choose.....Shell, OPT, EDT. I realize that paddles are not a deciding factor but top crews will want to use what they feel best with, What do the Tahitian crews go with?

Submitted by poidog on Tue, 01/14/2014 - 7:05pm

I've seen pictures of Shell using both Pure Paddles and Viper Va'a paddles.

#1 Wed, 01/15/2014 - 4:35am

They use tree stumps

#2 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 8:57am

The Tahitians use either tree stumps or 7 foot lengths of 2 by 4.

#3 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 10:44am

Obviously they use Broadreach !
Just joking , couldn't resist it.

#4 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 11:32am

@bambam62 Obviously :)

Btw I just saw some of Odies new blades, looks like he teamed up with Viper for these. I like Pure paddles, haven't tried a Viper yet but have seen a few broken hollow shafts. Hopefully Odies arent hollow...

Maybe someone in the loop can give a rundown on the Pure Viper paddles?

on the flip side, i have been using Holomua and really like it, lasted a season so far.

Aloha!

#5 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 1:32pm

I thought I was posing a serious question...and tree stumps are not the answer The Tahitian crews... after taking 1, 2 and 3 open men and 1 in the masters in the last Hoe... I guarantee they are not using tree stumps and probably not Broad Hardtobuys either,.And if not mistaken about paddle shape evolution...it seems to me that Hawaiian paddles have pretty much copied Tahitian templates as far as shape, angle from the shaft, overall large area blades. They also prefer double bends...I do not know who that is contributed to.

#6 Thu, 01/16/2014 - 8:53pm

seriously poidog,I used coconut fronds when I was a kid,because my grandpa was mad at us kids sticking the paddles in the coral

#7 Mon, 01/20/2014 - 7:58am

As far as I know. the Pure/Viper paddle is a Viper Va'a blade and shaft, but less the carbon handle, it comes with a pure wood handle instead. 100% Viper Vaa paddles come with carbon handles.

switched to a viper paddle, love it.

#8 Mon, 01/27/2014 - 5:00pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.168 seconds.