Queen Lili'uokalani

Aloha nui kakou- I am the messenger So don't get all nutz...... Please be aware of the type of paddle that you will be using to race with this weekend. One of the rules does not allow carbon blades to be race with. Several weeks ago a crew got penalized at one of our race events for two "illegal" blades. Official boats will be on the look out during the race. Any blade that is seen will be given added time. Hate to have any one race to later find out that there was a penalty given due to carbon blades. Any questions or concerns about this can be taken to the Friday night Race meeting where race official Mike Atwood will be to address it.

Aloha and Mahalo for attending this event.

Submitted by edhay on Thu, 08/28/2014 - 11:31am

Do you mean 100% carbon? Or carbon reinforced? The most recent Moku rules I can find on their website (2010) have the paddle specs copied below, which are the same as HCRA rules, which allow "carbon reinforced" blades like the standard Kialoa and Makana Alii blades that many of us use. When I go to the official Queen Liliuokalani Race website there is no reference to specific rules regarding paddles. How are we supposed to follow a rule (especially a new one) if it isn't posted anywhere?

F. PADDLE SPECIFICATIONS
Paddles must be singled bladed and shaped of wood only. They may include other materials such as; glass fiber,
Kevlar, carbon fiber, etc., in their construction and covering. The entire paddle (grip, shaft, and blade) must be formed
of wood. A paddle with no visible wood in the blade must conform to the list of paddles and paddle makers on the
HCRA website (www.hcrapaddler.com)

#1 Thu, 08/28/2014 - 1:05pm

Rachel- I'll get Mike Atwood to address your valid concern. All i know is that each blade will need to be made of wood. Carbon wrapping is fine as long there is wood beneath it (Yes, HCRA/MOKU rule). I'm just getting the message out so ALL knows. Personally, I would go nutz to find out after racing in the Kona heat i got penalized for having an "all carbon" paddle. Make sense? Aloha

#2 Thu, 08/28/2014 - 3:00pm

Yes Ed, this is what I am talking about ...

A defining discussion should be had ..

aloha,
pog

#3 Thu, 08/28/2014 - 3:19pm

anyone have predictions for the race? is team Primo showing up? Mellow Johnny?

#4 Fri, 08/29/2014 - 6:40am

Paddling connection..

#5 Fri, 08/29/2014 - 10:48am

I'm really curious about what they mean with regards to 'wood' paddles too. Last year when we did the Queen's race all but one paddler on our team was using Kialoa Axle II's with carbon blades. If we were paddling with these blades this year, would we be penalized? It will be helpful for us to know because we hope to participate in this race again next year and I'd grab any excuse..ahem...reason to purchase some Pure wooden paddles for the crew.

#6 Fri, 08/29/2014 - 4:44pm

Yesterday, Mike told us that hybrid paddles (composite blade, wood shaft) were acceptable to race with.

#7 Fri, 08/29/2014 - 8:34pm

props to Mellow Johnny!

#8 Sat, 08/30/2014 - 10:28pm

Real props go to Womens program of Waikiki Beachboys. 1St, 2nd, 4th, 9th.

BREAKING NEWS!! IN A RELATED STORY A TAHITIAN PADDLER WAS OVERHEARD LISTENING TO "FROZEN" SOUNDTRACK. NOW ALL HAWAIIAN PADDLERS ARE FIGHTING AT COSTCO FOR THE LAST REMAINING CD. 20 DEAD MANY MORE UNACCOUNTED FOR.

Story developing: In what started out as a joke by the Tahitian comedian, turned deadly in Hawaii. As word leaked (strategically) of the secret soundtrack in the nano-pod, Hawaii paddlers feverishly went in search for the Frozen soundtrack to play while training and racing. The early buyers were seen outside of Costco clutching their family as they made it though the check out isle unharmed and product in working order. Tears rushed the streets with joy cause finally paddlers could actually emulate the Tahitians more accurately.
We spoke to one paddler outside Costco anonymously "Finally, when I look at Tahitian video with his ear buds in I can play the soundtrack and know exactly what he's feeling and hearing during that race, it's like I'm sitting on his lap jamming with him while I put one ear bud in my ear and one in his ear".

#10 Wed, 09/03/2014 - 8:59am

"Let It Go"

#11 Wed, 09/03/2014 - 10:05am

Queen Liliuokalani Race Photos by Charla Photography

Official Photographer of QLLCR
charlaphotography.com
Select "View Your Event"
password: canoe2014

#12 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 11:09am

healthyearth...did not hear about that soundtrack..mahalo. Did see some Tahitian tatau...going to get me one...figure I will paddle better...and with those new tunes...even at my age...going to kick and glide like da boys.

#13 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 1:00pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.192 seconds.