Seeking advice to repair paint chipping off on a FUZE OC-1

Just bought an outrigger-connection (FUZE) OC-1 used. First time some of the paint near the stern (upper deck) chipped off. Section is about 5"x3". I have questions as to how to "patch" the section without having to repaint the whole boat.
On a fiberglass boat I know what to do (sand, patch/fill if necessary, prime and paint with marine paint), however the Fuze is a kevlar-graphite composite and paint is a gelcoat paint.
I am guessing the proper procedure would be:
1. Remove any loose paint with a knife
2. Sand edges of the pain and about 1" beyond the damage
3. Here is where I am not so sure, right now there seems to be no primer or bonding agent between the paint and the boat material. Should I apply gelcoat (color matched) paint directly on the boat surface (then sand down with fine grit wet sand paper to polish) or should I apply a marine primer and then paint..... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers....

AttachmentSize
paint chip.jpeg654.88 KB

Submitted by rromo on Thu, 02/20/2014 - 7:01am

I suggest "painting" with gelcoat. A simply process if you add an additive.
I've had pretty good results with Duratec. http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/Resin-Systems/Polyester-Products/Duratec...
Can be found at many different fiberglass supply outlets.
Order an inexpensive spray gun from Harbor Freight Tools, I believe you want at least a .020 tip.

#1 Thu, 02/20/2014 - 10:20am

Thanks. Have you tried the gelcoat repair kits from Evercoat? (http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Evercoat-Match-Patch-Kit/dp/B0000AXS0X/...)

#2 Thu, 02/20/2014 - 11:05am

It would be cheaper to just get the Fibre Glass-Evercoat Co Polyester Gel Paste Pint from Evercoat and the Evercoat Red Coloring Agent 1 oz than the Match Patch Repair Kit. The red coloring agent should already be a close match as I didn't need to do any matching on a Red Fuze I have.

Prep as you planned and make sure you have acetate film or wax paper to cover the gelcoat for it to fully cure properly as stated in the instructions on the can. Sand and buff as needed afterward.

#3 Thu, 02/20/2014 - 1:54pm

cool.... thanks!

#4 Thu, 02/20/2014 - 3:39pm

rromo ... First off, did you call Outrigger Connection ?

The surface in the image is not kevlar, nor carbon. Its glass over a soric core.

Beware if you start peeling stuff back, as you may never find the end.

You gotta think >>> How/why did 3X5" just "chip off" ?

Not trying to sound mean or diss anything, but you have a problem there that you not going to solve without major effort.

You can make that spot go away but its not healed.

Sent email to you.

EDIT >>> Whoops .. Cannot send you email.

aloha,
pog

#5 Thu, 02/20/2014 - 5:36pm

Listen to Onno!! He know!!

#6 Fri, 02/28/2014 - 7:01am

you need to find out if your (glass/coremat) boat was made with epoxy or polyester/vinylester resin ,is if its epoxy i would guess OC has used duratec in the gelcoat to get a non sticky surface that the laminate can bond to and if you are going to repair it yourself I suggest you rough up the laminate (de-shine) and lay down a very thin bondo layer , after that is cured and sanded smooth you can either spray paint or waxed polyester gelcoat (if you use gelcoat it will get an "orange peel" texture and you will have to wet sand that with lots of progressively finer grits and then polish it up , I personally think paint is easier

your worst nightmare is this happening on many other spots !

#7 Tue, 03/04/2014 - 3:20am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.327 seconds.